R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-18-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Brushed Vs. Brushless

I have recently gotten back into the hobby after many many years of retirement. I purchased a Traxxas bandit for my daughter and the bug bit me. I now have a kyosho vintage Outrage II, Bandit, Sledgehammer, Tamiya F103RM, Tamiya F201 and a Hughes 300 Heli lol. Now I did some browsing and it seems Lipo's and brushless is the way to go nowadays. So I was thinking of go brushless on the F1 cars (since they are my pride and joys). I really don't wanna go Lipo since I have heard/read all kinds of horror stories. but what about brushless?? I have a modified Kisbey 19t in the F103 and it's pretty fast. Would brushless be worth the upgrade? If so what should I look for? Thanks for any input and sorry if I ask alot of questions
DeputyDad78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to rccar306109

lipos are safe as long as you use the right charger. If your going to go brushless make sure your tranny can handle it. youll probbally want to get a 2.4ghz system also. The traxxas vxl system is good and very fast. 70mph if you put it in the bandit.
good luck!
Driver of the #18 Toyota Scion of Scranton Camry Late Model at Mountain Speedway.
Special thanks to:Toyota Scion of Scranton, Coldwell Banker Town and Country, AMSOIL, Six Feet Deep Clothing, and Myifixer. RACE 101 Scholarship Recipient. Want to sponsor a professional race team? PM me for a proposal!
rccar306109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:43 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyDad78 View Post
I have recently gotten back into the hobby after many many years of retirement. I purchased a Traxxas bandit for my daughter and the bug bit me. I now have a kyosho vintage Outrage II, Bandit, Sledgehammer, Tamiya F103RM, Tamiya F201 and a Hughes 300 Heli lol. Now I did some browsing and it seems Lipo's and brushless is the way to go nowadays. So I was thinking of go brushless on the F1 cars (since they are my pride and joys). I really don't wanna go Lipo since I have heard/read all kinds of horror stories. but what about brushless?? I have a modified Kisbey 19t in the F103 and it's pretty fast. Would brushless be worth the upgrade? If so what should I look for? Thanks for any input and sorry if I ask alot of questions
Brushless Lipo is definately the way to go nowadays. You can get a Novak GTB with a 13.5 (equivilant to a 19t brushed) for around $150 remanufactured. Lipos horror stories come from those who didnt follow the neccessary precations. Which are very easy to follow at that.
myrxseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:45 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccar306109 View Post
lipos are safe as long as you use the right charger. If your going to go brushless make sure your tranny can handle it. youll probbally want to get a 2.4ghz system also. The traxxas vxl system is good and very fast. 70mph if you put it in the bandit.
good luck!
The issue with whether or not a tranny could handle the power is not really the question unless your talking about a 2.5 or 3.5 brushless motor. When going with a 21.5, 17.5, 13.5, or even a 10.5 they are all comparable to a 27t stock motor, a 19 turn spec motor and so on.
myrxseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:49 PM   #5
Tech Adept

I wont be doing anything to the bandit. I have it for my oldest daughter so she can run with me when i run the Sledge. The F1 cars are what I'm gearing towards. So if I go brushless is Lipo a must? And say I go for something like the Novak system would the car be any faster? I know there are so much more tuning options brushless from what I read.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyDad78 View Post
I wont be doing anything to the bandit. I have it for my oldest daughter so she can run with me when i run the Sledge. The F1 cars are what I'm gearing towards. So if I go brushless is Lipo a must? And say I go for something like the Novak system would the car be any faster? I know there are so much more tuning options brushless from what I read.
Lipo isn't a must, but it is SOOOOO much better then Nimh cells it's not even funny. All of the horror stories you hear are because they are horror stories. RC flyers have been using Lipo for much longer then us ground guys and planes are more expensive. If they trust $400+ airplanes to Lipo our cars are safe with it too. Treat them with respect and you'll have no issues.
MonkeyFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:58 PM   #7
Tech Adept

What about the MaxAmps Life 4500? read good things about them. I know its not Lipo but better then nimh.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:09 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The chemistry behind the cells is solid, but they are not widely adopted yet. Most Lipo safe chargers will handle Life cells. The down side I hear about them is that they are a bit of an odd size so they don't fit in some battery compartment on some cars.
MonkeyFist is offline   Reply With Quote