R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-16-2004, 05:01 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)
Help needed...KO Propo radio issues!!

Hey all,

Has anyone here used one of the newer Hitec 3 channel HFS-03MM receivers with a KO transmitter?

I have an EX-11 75mhz transmitter, and I purchased the Hitec receiver on 75mhz to go with it in my car. The receiver powers up, but doesn't seem to recognize the transmitter. I've tried 2 sets of KO crystals, different esc's, etc. and no luck.

Everything works perfectly with the stock 297 KO reciever, but nada with the Hitec.

I had the understanding that these Hitec receivers work with any brand of radio, both negative and positive shift, but I'm starting to wonder if it has problems reading KO radios??

Please help!

Thanks,

Johnnyshore
johnnyshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 06:34 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

I am going to go out on a limb here and say to check your EX11 radio and see if its got 2ch and 3 ch modes. if it does-then put it on 3ch mode. I had your problem with my helios and the KO rep there switched me from 2 to 3ch and problem went away using a Novak Synth RX on 75Mhz.

Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 06:40 PM   #3
Tech Addict

i have a KO PROPO EX11 myself. i have tried using it with a Novak XXL reciever (hitec) -it does not work either. i have to use the KO reciever
sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 06:48 PM   #4
Tech Master

Hmmph...very frustrating. Esecially when I e-mailed Hitec and specifically asked their techs if this radio/receiver combo would work...here's what they told me......

"Hello,

This receiver will work with KO PROPO radio. I suggest using a KO PROPO crystal in the receiver.

Thank you,

Martin Salgado
Customer Service Department
Hitec RCD Inc.
Phone # ( 858 ) 748-8440
Fax # ( 858 ) 859-2618

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, February 06, 2004 9:05 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Hitec HFS-03MM Receiver/KO Propo transmitter compatibility question

Hello,

I was hoping you could tell me if the Hitec HFS-03MM Receiver will work with KO Propo radios? I own an EX-11 Presto FM radio system, and would like to buy an additional receiver for another car.

Thanks!"

I really like the EX-11, and so far it's worked flawlessly, but I really don't want to shell out close to $100 for another KO receiver for my second car, so I'm at a loss here. I checked the channel settings on my radio, and nothing I do makes any difference.

MAJOR bummer...
Old 02-16-2004, 06:59 PM   #5
Tech Addict

i called Novak and asked about the reciever(XXL Hitec) and they told me right off the bat that it wouldnt work. in addition to the shift certain manufacturers program in proprietory codes so you have to buy their recievers to work with their transmitters. i tried anyway, but Novak was right
Old 02-17-2004, 02:22 AM   #6
Tech Elite

I got a KO Presto, which works fine with a Hitec HFS-04MI (discontinued, 4/5 channel, single conversion). I simply used the supplied KO crystal.

Hmmm. Maybe the Hitec RX got a defect?
Old 02-17-2004, 09:34 AM   #7
Tech Addict

interesting, i dont know if i was using the KO crystal. it was the right channel,but i will have to give it another shot
Old 02-17-2004, 09:57 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I used to run a XXL for KO with my Mars and it functioned beautifully. Not to bash, but as a general rule I tend to stay away from Hitec equipment. Their servos and receivers never worked well for me. I've heard they've made leaps and bounds in quality control and product development, but I've ALWAYS had good luck with KO gear.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 02:47 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

ive used a hfs-033mm in 29mhz with my mars r - you have to use the ko xtals, and it works fine... to a point... run the car 300m or so away from you and it still works but has a "delayed reaction" at distance so you turn the wheel and say .3sec later the car responds...

on a normal track everything is ok
Old 02-17-2004, 04:19 PM   #10
Tech Master

I've decided to sell the KO Radio...anyone interested?? I'm thinking $75 with an extra set of crystals.
https://www.facebook.com/ShamrockRC/
Old 02-19-2004, 05:02 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Cole Trickle
I got a KO Presto, which works fine with a Hitec HFS-04MI (discontinued, 4/5 channel, single conversion). I simply used the supplied KO crystal.

Hmmm. Maybe the Hitec RX got a defect?
Forgot to mention, I'm on 40 MHz.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:09 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyshore
I've decided to sell the KO Radio...anyone interested?? I'm thinking $75 with an extra set of crystals.
There can be many reasons for selling a radio. But at my opinion, there's a lot of hype about radios, and most people dont need more than the Presto can. I'll bet you even dont use all of it's features, so why go for more?

If the Presto grip suits you and you dont have glitching problems, I would stay with the Presto.

Instead I would contact Hitec. It should work. Otherwise, they should supply with a new RX. If it still dont work, I think you shold have your money back. They did promise you it would work, so they have to help you. Besides, Hitec use to have good service.

In case the Hitec wont work, you can get a KO RX for a decent price here: Control Centre
Old 02-19-2004, 08:16 AM   #13
Tech Master

I've e-mailed Hitec three times, and each time they tell me that it should work with KO crystals...I keep saying that's what I'm already using.

The radio has worked great for me, and I actually do use most of the features, but I've decided to sell the radio and switch to a brand that's more popular and readily available here in my area. No one around here seems to have anything for KO's.

I don't like having to order stuff online for my r/c's, and when I needed a new trigger for the EX-11, it was $2.95 for the part, and $7.00 for the shipping. No thanks.

I do appreciate everyones help on the matter though...many thanks!!
Old 02-20-2004, 09:37 PM   #14
Tech Master

Ok, so I was looking further into the issue, and on RCBOYZ.com, they say to get the receiver to work with the KO radio, you have to use Airtronics crystals...

"This revolutionary receiver will work with all single conversion 75mhz FM Radio systems. It automatically adjusts to the phase shift (negative or positive) used by your radio system so it works will all radios. You just need to use the crystals from the manufacturer of your radio - use airtronics crystals if you want to use an airtronics radio, futaba crystals if you want to use a Futaba Radio, etc. (The only exception we've found is that you need to use Airtronics crystals if you want to use a KO Pro radio). "

Anyone know if that's the case??
Old 02-23-2004, 08:28 PM   #15
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang
Default Starnge but true

This is definately a truth is starnger than fiction story.

To get my 12th scale running on my new helios Radio-I had to use a JRr200 receiver and a JR 63 crystal. I ran practice night (4 packs at least), and Sunday racing up to the third qualifier. No glitches-radio signal was fine!!!

IN the third qualifier I caught a flapper pretty good glanced off and car was dead. Lights still on-on ESC, but no throttle or servo.

Forward to tonight on the workbench.

I went through every test and variable I could think of (three JR Rx, two crystal sets and three ESC's. Still No signal to the 12th scale.

Finally I unplug the esc in my Sedan and hook all the ESC's into the KO RX thats in my Sedan and they ALL work fine.

So heres my question-Why did the JR Rx work for so long-then after a hit-every JR RX wont work now???
Was this some freak thing that one RX worked for awhile?

Someone please explain-this makes no sense!!
Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote