R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-15-2004, 02:47 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Need Advice on Tire Truer Purchase

I want to get a tire truer for touring car tires. I have looked at a number of the units, and I have boiled it down to this list:

1. Hudy Universal (110v) - plug-in rules!
2. Integy manual (auto possible) - price rules!
3. Maxmod - used blue unit - power rules!

Now for the questions:
Hudy Universal:
How strong is the Hudy Universal at making cuts? Does it require a few passes to get down to 58 from a fresh tire? Does it take a lot of time to cut with the wheel moving the tool?

Maxmod:
Can you still get cutting tools and arbours for it? Where do you get them? I have seen these in action, but am wondering about the quality of the cut versus the Hudy?

Integy:
I have seen one of these work, but I am not sure how good a quality the cut is versus the Hudy? People around here seem to like them once they put the hacksaw blade in. Seems like a good unit for the price. Any other opinions?

Anyone have anything to say to either for or against these units? I want a good quality cut, but don't want to have to sit all day to get it. I also do NOT want to buy a power supply if at all possible.

Thanks!!
RichO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 02:53 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Ofna automatic

Both myself and a good freind of mine have had great luck with our Ofna units. ( they will accept the Hudy adapters ) They are 12v though but they have auto feed and cut great. Another freind of mine has the 110v Hudy and loves it. But it's not an auto feed model. Just my thoughts, good luck!
ccm399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 03:40 PM   #3
Tech Regular

ccm, thanks for the reply. How many cuts does he have to make to bring the tires down to race size (58-60mm)? My only concern with the Hudy is that it has enough power to make some good cuts with a couple of passes.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:56 PM   #4
Company Representative

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

RichO: you can do them with one cut...

I have cut every compond with mine...

Others have had some issues with the Ofna(service), I haven't however.

The Hudy, Ofna & Integy all use the same arbors.
Avoid the Ofna arbors(12th scale)

The Integy ones seem to work great as do the Hudy.

Some of the Cobra arbors work with the MaxMod...

I had a Maxmod and prefer the Ofna to it....

If I had the $$$$ a Hudy would be in order.
Tres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 04:38 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Rob Hochberg

I just bought a Hudy universal, and have used my friend's Hudy u niversal for a while now, mine isn't here yet, but it will be by wednesday, along with my arbor (Hudy). I've used every truer you listed, and the Hudy is by far the superior, that's why I bought one. The ease of use and quality is second to none, as is the same with all Hudy products. The ofna is ok, but bulky and big, and if you're like me, you don't want to make 40 trips to the car every time you load/unload at the track. The maxmod is also rather large and heavy too. The Hudy is great because it's so small and compact.
Rob Hochberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 05:06 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Default Ofna truer

I can make one cut across and then back to get the tire to 2.300.
The ofna truer I have is no bigger than the Hudy.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:19 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Rob Hochberg

The Ofna auto truer? the same size as the Hudy Universal? I don't think so, although I haven't measured the dimensions of each, or compared them side to side.
Rob Hochberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 05:34 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Default Truer size

While I have not measured them either I have seen them side by side and the are very close to the same size and weight. The Hudy being 110v does mean you don't need a battery or power supply but as far as the truer its self its about the same size and weight. If the Ofna is heavier it's because of the power feed. I think since he stated he doesn't want to buy a power supply the Hudy would be the best bet, cheaper too since it a "plug and play" deal. Well other than the arbor.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:55 PM   #9
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

I've never used the 110V Hudy- does it have the power to cut the tires down to race size in one cut?

Also, I should mention that although the Hudy isn't power feed, you can disengage the manual wheel and slide the cutter by hand (like the MaxMod) which can really save time and to me is much easier.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 06:05 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Default Hudy Power

I have a friend and he says he can make one cut on a tire with no problem. I have never seen him do it but I'm sure he's telling the truth. I would think since it's a manual feed it would do it no problem. I only wish they made it with power feed. Ya I know I'm lazy but I like watching the cutter do it's thing all by itself. LOL
Old 02-15-2004, 06:42 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to Andreas_Myrberg

You will have no problem cutting the tires in just on cut with the HUDY, however it is safer to do it in at least 2 runs, and also you will get a better surface on the tire and the wear on the cutting tool will be less. Just a tip
Old 02-15-2004, 07:20 PM   #12
P2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Hochberg
The Ofna auto truer? the same size as the Hudy Universal? I don't think so, although I haven't measured the dimensions of each, or compared them side to side.
My Hudy 110v universal is way smaller than the Ofna. The Hudy Excellent and Hudy Power truers are about the same size as the Ofna Auto.

All truers work well....what really matters is the cutter (carbide) and the arbors must be true.

My$.02
P2
Old 02-15-2004, 08:27 PM   #13
Tech Adept

The Hudy universal (the manual one) is way smaller and lighter than the 'more expensive' hudy and the Ofna truers. I have the 110v model, it has more than enough power to cut sedan and 12th scale tires in one pass from left to right.

Since I don't cut too many tires (maybe 2 sets per week at most?) I thought the auto truer was a waste, plus it's slower than me cranking the wheel! And the unit is way compact and light.
spyderx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 07:54 AM   #14
Tech Master

Hudy AC Tire truer... does not have enough motor to cut at a bit much (let say 2mm) in one run as you can see them slowing down in the cutting process. You will be better of buying the bigger 12V DC or, better yet, the auto truers that now comes with carbide and aluminum case for free..

If you concern about prices, check out the all new GQ tire truer + SANDERS + 1/10 and 1/8 wheel hubs. Pictures and description can be seen in www.daltonshop.com . Start shipping worldwide in early March.
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 09:56 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Pyramid: Well that doesn't seem to jive with what other posters are saying. I would imagine that they are cutting 4mm or more in a pass if I understand what they are saying correctly...

Please correct me if I am wrong. I seem to remember most foams come in around 63mm or so.