R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-15-2004, 10:37 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to picco007 Send a message via Yahoo to picco007

Quote:
Originally posted by Dragonfire
I have used some of the ones on the list so I can't speak for all of em... But I do have a pitbull ATM and it does work well.. especially considering it has no fan! I would recommend you go for a pitbull or the new version not because of features but because your batteries will perform better if you use the same charging technology on them consistently. If you don't use your GFX for charging then it wouldn't matter....
Thanks for your input. I really like the features of the newer pitbull, I will definitely look into getting one. I just wish they were available right now. I'm in need of one within the next couple of weeks. I do charge on my gfx all of the time. So it would make sense to look into the pitbull.

thanks again.
picco007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 11:46 PM   #17
Regional Moderator

My first charger is Protrak, then my second charger is GFX (for motor run in, repeak, lathe, tire warmer, etc)
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 06:41 AM   #18
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to lastplace

I have 2 Pit Bulls, I mounted CPU fans on the tops and wired it into the chargers, they always run cool. One nice feature is the 10 minute lockout, really helps with problem batteries.

I have a GFX, it stays home, too big for the pit table, it's time for CE to redesign it's case, I bet that thing is half empty & fix that stupid knob while there at it.

I would stay away from the Quasar Pro, it seem like everyone of those a our track has problems. $90 to fix and they send you back someone else's returned charger.
lastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 07:32 AM   #19
P2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by picco007
P2,

Yeah, it looks like I may do that. Like I said in one of my earlier posts, there a pause of a second or two every so often while charging a pack. I wanted to know if that is better charge or is a straight linear charge is best. Just wanting to know.
The Integy pauses charging every minute for 5 seconds but doesn't give out a negative pulse. Not sure if the VESC does anything. Here are the resons why I got rid of my Yokomo BCS and bought a 2nd Integy:
1. Dishcharge function
2. * Both of my chargers charge the same way.
3. Memory settings to charge different pack types.
4. They look cool side by side.
* You might consider the Pitbull so your batteries will recive the same type charge from GFX as mentioned above.

What's wrong with your Protrak
P2
Old 02-16-2004, 08:41 AM   #20
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by P2
The Integy pauses charging every minute for 5 seconds but doesn't give out a negative pulse. Not sure if the VESC does anything. Here are the resons why I got rid of my Yokomo BCS and bought a 2nd Integy:
1. Dishcharge function
2. * Both of my chargers charge the same way.
3. Memory settings to charge different pack types.
4. They look cool side by side.
* You might consider the Pitbull so your batteries will recive the same type charge from GFX as mentioned above.

What's wrong with your Protrak
P2

The Pro trak has started to false peak alot. I tried to set up the delta peak detection higher. It seemed to work but on older packs the false peaking was outrageous. If I don't change the delta peak detection for the newer packs I feel like the are overcharged. Someone was telling me that the pro trak is very sensitive and I have to agree with them. So I decided to keep the pro trak at home for cell monitoring purposes if I feel like a pack is going bad or something.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:48 AM   #21
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by lastplace
I have 2 Pit Bulls, I mounted CPU fans on the tops and wired it into the chargers, they always run cool. One nice feature is the 10 minute lockout, really helps with problem batteries.

I have a GFX, it stays home, too big for the pit table, it's time for CE to redesign it's case, I bet that thing is half empty & fix that stupid knob while there at it.

I would stay away from the Quasar Pro, it seem like everyone of those a our track has problems. $90 to fix and they send you back someone else's returned charger.

I would like to just get the pitbull for sure, just wished the newer version was available now. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:53 PM   #22
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
I really appreciate everyones input. I have looked into all of the ones mentioned. This is what I come up with, the reedy quasar pro seems to be great with the option to plug into the wall. But the darn thing is Loud. Do you know if the integy and the reedy are somewhat alike? I have heard that but can not confirm that. The second one is the pit bull, I like the price and the size but we just don't see them around here much. And besides the new one is coming out so I would have to wait. The third one is the lrp pulsar competitiion. I haven't really heard anything bad about it other than the paint chipping off easy but that's it. And the integy 16 x 5 v6 seems to be on few peoples tables here where we race. I have paid attention to it and what I'm confused about is when it is charging there is a second or two that it just stops charging but then keeps charging. So you see the voltage of the pack sorta drop then pick back up. I thought that was some type of pulse charge but i've heard it is a part of the VESC system. Can anyone tell me more about the integy charging situation?

Thanks...
my friend has the 16x5v6 and that functions claims to boost the battery pack putting more runtime and power to the cell. it charges for a while, then discharges for a short while and chargers it again. it worked pretty good for my friend.
disaster999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 05:05 PM   #23
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

yokomo bcss charger (single). has a timer feature so u can set the timer and go do something else. good handy second charger. nice and small too so it saves pit space since you have a GFX.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 06:03 PM   #24
Tech Master

Default Thanks

Thanks for everyones input......it helps.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:40 PM   #25
Regional Moderator

Quote:
The Pro trak has started to false peak alot. I tried to set up the delta peak detection higher. It seemed to work but on older packs the false peaking was outrageous. If I don't change the delta peak detection for the newer packs I feel like the are overcharged. Someone was telling me that the pro trak is very sensitive and I have to agree with them. So I decided to keep the pro trak at home for cell monitoring purposes if I feel like a pack is going bad or something.
Do you know that ProTrak also has long lockout features for prevent false peak during charging?
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 08:28 PM   #26
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by daniz24
Do you know that ProTrak also has long lockout features for prevent false peak during charging?

I never used it or never had too. The problem is worst now than it was during the weekend. Now the charger will not charge. I will have to send it in. I love that charger but want to use it for the individual cell monitoring feature which is great. Once I send it in for repair, I'll make sure I look in using the long lockout feature.

thanks