R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-14-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 207
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Exclamation shocks for tc5

i bought a tc5 and it has no shocks. what do you guys recomend? the stock associated ones? or???
iraqsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:52 PM   #2
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraqsucks View Post
i bought a tc5 and it has no shocks. what do you guys recomend? the stock associated ones? or???
Tamiya shocks. Specifically Tamiya Part Number: 84008 if you can find them.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 207
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

got a link to where to find them?
iraqsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:27 PM   #4
Tech Elite
 
SammyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New England
Posts: 3,045
Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)
Default

those tamiya TRF shocks are very nice but the stock AE shocks are just as good in my opinion. The AE shocks will be easier to get and they will match the blue on your TC5 closer.
__________________
Hotbodies USA
SweepRacing USA
SammyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:49 PM   #5
Tech Elite
 
rezenclowd3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Solvang, CA
Posts: 2,367
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3
Default

I agree get the Tamiya TRF shocks. Much easier to work with. Also maybe consider the Shumacher Mi3/Mi4 shocks. IMO just as good and easy to work with.

The TC5 shocks are a pain due to the method used to hold the orings and bladder in.
__________________
OOMSGFX.COM (no longer painting, but take a look for fun!), Roadrunners RC Club
"Racing drivers have balls, unfortunately, none of them are crystal" (David Coulthard)
"I believe the average IQ of a NASCAR fan is only marginally above the things that hit the windscreen during the race. "
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:07 PM   #6
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraqsucks View Post
got a link to where to find them?
Looks like those are discontinued. I suggested those because they were black in color so they would "match" the TC5. The Tamiya blue ones are these:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...w=tamiya+42102
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #7
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 207
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

i found them in black. but is there an advantage to the tamiya over the stock?
iraqsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraqsucks View Post
i found them in black. but is there an advantage to the tamiya over the stock?
The Tamiya shocks are traditionally the gold standard for shocks in RC. I see them used on a variety of cars to replace the stock shocks. The TC5 shocks are a bit cumbersome to build and not sure how they would be rebuilt if you needed to replace the o-ring because the black plastic piece seems pretty permanent in them. There is nothing really wrong with them if built properly. They will perform just as well. If you build them improperly I've heard they leak. I assume the TC5 are also cheaper.

If you do use the Tamiya you will need to take a reamer and slightly enlarge the hold at the top of the shock to fit the TC5 pieces. Just use the TC5 spring perch and ballcup on the bottom.

Out of curiosity where did you find the black ones because I might buy another set for my other TC5. Thanks.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:27 PM   #9
Tech Elite
 
Foxxrocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sonoma County
Posts: 2,018
Default

Tamiya shocks, with Xray springs.
__________________
Tamiya 416X/ Tamiya TA-05 IFS/ Losi XXX-SCT/ HPI Baja 5SC/ Tamiya M05/ Tamiya F103/ Tamiya F104/ Team Associated 10R5O/ Kyosho IGT2/
Foxxrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:10 PM   #10
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,935
Default

I'd never suggest replacing the stock TC5 shocks with Tamiya shocks. The TC5 shocks work very well with a couple little tricks (MIP o-rings, HB shock bladders, and hole drilled in plastic shock top to allow air to escape from behind the bladder) they are even better.

If you are starting new then the cost difference between the two is not much so the Tamiya's become more attractive. But if you are racing and use AE setups from the website, your best bet is to stick with the same shocks the car was designed for and what the team drivers use.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:19 PM   #11
Tech Adept
 
Redwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
I'd never suggest replacing the stock TC5 shocks with Tamiya shocks. The TC5 shocks work very well with a couple little tricks (MIP o-rings, HB shock bladders, and hole drilled in plastic shock top to allow air to escape from behind the bladder) they are even better.

If you are starting new then the cost difference between the two is not much so the Tamiya's become more attractive. But if you are racing and use AE setups from the website, your best bet is to stick with the same shocks the car was designed for and what the team drivers use.
Hey Rick,

I was considering 'upgrading' to Tamiyas, but I would sooner try your 'tricks'. Could you please post the part numbers for the shock bladders and orings so I don't get the wrong ones,

Thanks

Neal
Redwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:22 PM   #12
Tech Master
 
pcar951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cow Town
Posts: 1,706
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Hmmm, I've been trying to figure a way to fit TC5 shocks in place of my leaking Xray and Tamiya shocks??
pcar951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:48 PM   #13
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Black Country, England
Posts: 340
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
I'd never suggest replacing the stock TC5 shocks with Tamiya shocks. The TC5 shocks work very well with a couple little tricks (MIP o-rings, HB shock bladders, and hole drilled in plastic shock top to allow air to escape from behind the bladder) they are even better.

If you are starting new then the cost difference between the two is not much so the Tamiya's become more attractive. But if you are racing and use AE setups from the website, your best bet is to stick with the same shocks the car was designed for and what the team drivers use.
I presume you drill the hole through where the plastic is exposed from the shock cap? if so how big is this hole?

Cheers Nick
__________________
It's frightening to think that with modern medicine and all technique available to them, they can’t really help you; I should think in the old days you know you were better auf, because nowadays they’re all specialists, everyone’s becoming better and better at less and less! And eventually someone’s gonna to be superb, AT NOTHING!
Nick Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:55 PM   #14
Tech Adept
 
team jeremiah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Forest Lake, Minnesota
Posts: 189
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

TAMIYA SHOCKS
team jeremiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:13 PM   #15
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 207
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
The Tamiya shocks are traditionally the gold standard for shocks in RC. I see them used on a variety of cars to replace the stock shocks. The TC5 shocks are a bit cumbersome to build and not sure how they would be rebuilt if you needed to replace the o-ring because the black plastic piece seems pretty permanent in them. There is nothing really wrong with them if built properly. They will perform just as well. If you build them improperly I've heard they leak. I assume the TC5 are also cheaper.

If you do use the Tamiya you will need to take a reamer and slightly enlarge the hold at the top of the shock to fit the TC5 pieces. Just use the TC5 spring perch and ballcup on the bottom.

Out of curiosity where did you find the black ones because I might buy another set for my other TC5. Thanks.
i just google the first tamiya p/n number you gave me. i even found them on ebay that way.
iraqsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Team Associated TC5 RCknight Electric On-Road 13256 Yesterday 05:13 PM
Better shocks for sc10 hate the ae leakers Dragonfueled Electric Off-Road 52 04-27-2011 10:36 PM
free drive train for TC5 rcracerb Electric On-Road 18 07-07-2009 10:14 AM
TC5/TC4 springs. Tron 101 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 6 04-11-2008 05:56 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:19 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net