R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-13-2009, 07:17 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default what should i upgrade my traxxas rustler with?

HI i have a electric rustler with a stock brush motor, and it does not have a electronic speed control just put a 20 tooth gear on it and got more speed but what else can i do?
Capone24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
Tech Rookie

ttt
Capone24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:06 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

One of the best things you could do is upgrade to a brushless systems. You'll get more run time and tons of speed and torque. If that is outside your budget then a ESC is a must. You'll gain run time. After that it's pretty much up to you. If you feel your truck needs stronger A-arms or better ball bearings. It also depends on what you want to do with your truck. If it's race then you'll want to add parts that are lighter and offer better handling, including batteries, motor, tires. Or if your bashing around where ever you feel like running then strength may be a concern.

"A bad race day is still better than a Good work day!"
Goomba_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:49 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I agree.
If you can afford it then this is a low cost option that will give you more speed and runtime.
http://cgi.ebay.com/eZrun-RC-1-10-12...item19b300db51

If thats out of the question then this is a lower cost option.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAXT7&P=0
Keep in mind you will likely want to upgrade this eventually also, but it will give you increased runtime and maybe a bit more speed.

If you have the older model with mechanical speed control it likely has bushings as well. Upgrading to bearings will also give you more speed and runtime. Here is a low cost set.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD050&P=7

If you do not have a few good batteries then that is another thing you should look into. Not sure what you have but dont buy anything less than 3000mah if you want to run long enough to have fun.

Many folks on here have upgraded Rustlers, including myself. So Im sure you will get lots of responses.
burnineyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:34 AM   #5
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnineyes View Post
Many folks on here have upgraded Rustlers, including myself. So Im sure you will get lots of responses.
You might get more responses if you ask this question in the electric off-road forums. Most of the diehard on-road racers don't race much off-road.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote