R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-13-2009, 04:08 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0e View Post
I read that belt cars are more efficient than shaft cars like TB03. Is this defference noticeable when you run? I mean will you earn any seconds in a speed lap?

does TA05v2 stock upgrades also offer noticeable performance over regular TA05?
That is actually not yet decided. Shaft is a simpler driveline so potentially more efficient, but the bevel gears might lose some of the efficiency. Even if eventually someone will do a test in well constrained conditions I don't think there will be a big enough difference to override other considerations. Given that you don't say if you want to run outdoors or in, I would suggest you go for the shaft drive. That way if you run outdoors you won't have the annoying hassle of crap getting all over your driveline and destroying it (it takes only a short time for this to happen, so don't hold hopes).

That being said, the cars you're looking at are all good (except perhaps the TT01 which needs a lot of work and upgrading to get performant).

About drifting you can drift anything, so don't worry about that.

Also, beign a newcomer so likely to run in a lower powered class, I would have no problem to go with the TB03. That covers everything you want and is lower maintenance due to its fully enclosed driveline.

Tehre are also kits that come with speedy that will be enough if you run in a silvercan spec class. If not, check with the track for what they allow in your class (motor), see what others run and get that.

Get bearings anyway whatever you buy.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:46 AM   #17
j0e
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the great info guys.

So according to your info i am between TB-03 and TA - 05v2.

I am going to drive it outdoor in parking lots and in the local club race track. Do you think that TB-03 with shaft is more appropriate for outdoor drive?

And a final question that might sound silly after all these posts.

Lets suppose we have two cars one TB-03 and one TA - 05. Same setup, almost same skill drivers. Wich one will be faster on a race. Will the belt drive got faster laps or it is just about skills?

And finally are the TB-03 and TA-05 able to be upgraded up to the same level?
j0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:19 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thanks for the great info guys.

I am going to drive it outdoor in parking lots and in the local club race track. Do you think that TB-03 with shaft is more appropriate for outdoor drive?

And a final question that might sound silly after all these posts.

Lets suppose we have two cars one TB-03 and one TA - 05. Same setup, almost same skill drivers. Wich one will be faster on a race. Will the belt drive got faster laps or it is just about skills?

And finally are the TB-03 and TA-05 able to be upgraded up to the same level?
Actually the question above the last one is sillier if you read my previous post.

Do your homework, check out the tamiya website and you'll find how upgradeable they are.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:08 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Quote:

I have owned a number of TA05's, hell probably 20 or so touring cars over the years if I counted them all up including a few expensive high-end cars, My most recent acquisition is a TB03, For club racing and so I can thrash it around the local tennis courts with my kids, Something I would be reluctant to do with a belt-driven car.

Plenty of hop-up parts available for both chassis, But before you go too far down that road you need to decide if it makes more sense to upgrade to a full competition spec car instead.
Metla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:46 PM   #20
j0e
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metla View Post
Plenty of hop-up parts available for both chassis, But before you go too far down that road you need to decide if it makes more sense to upgrade to a full competition spec car instead.
You are definetely have a point as far as the upgrade part is concerned but with other heli and airplane projects running i am a little low on budget

This rc world will put me in jail.

I really cant decide on buying TB 03 or TA 05

Most people sais that TA 05 is better but the shaft's less need for maintainance is attractive too.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:11 AM   #21
j0e
Tech Rookie

Ok guys got my decision i will go for TA-05 v2. Thank you all for your help.

Now i need to find a good 2s setup for it. Any idea?
Old 10-14-2009, 11:21 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I run Tekin RS, Fantom 17.5 and Thunder Power 5000mah 40c lipo. Works great.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:05 PM   #23
j0e
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchy View Post
I run Tekin RS, Fantom 17.5 and Thunder Power 5000mah 40c lipo. Works great.
What race time you get on this setup? What T should i look for? I saw people with 5.5T setups and other with 17.5. How i know what T is best for me?
Old 10-14-2009, 12:44 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Going to your track to see what people are running, what classes are available is the best bet. If I were to blindly guess however, I'd say 17.5 is a good place to start.

By 'race time,' I'm assuming you mean run time? If so, then I could probably get at least 15-20 minutes out of my battery, but never do it because the motor would get too hot. When it comes to this, gearing is very important.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:12 PM   #25
j0e
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchy View Post
Going to your track to see what people are running, what classes are available is the best bet. If I were to blindly guess however, I'd say 17.5 is a good place to start.

By 'race time,' I'm assuming you mean run time? If so, then I could probably get at least 15-20 minutes out of my battery, but never do it because the motor would get too hot. When it comes to this, gearing is very important.
thanks for the info, here in my club Cup and championship there you must have a 05 class motor. I dont think there is a limitation on T in motors if they are no more than 36.02 mmdiameter and 53 mm length. I dont know if this is translated on a specific T motor. Also you can use no more than 2s lipo and overall wheight must be 1,5kgr.

So what would you think would be a good motor for these criteria?
Old 10-14-2009, 02:29 PM   #26
j0e
Tech Rookie

Do you think Team Orion Vortex 2008 Racing Brushless Motor 4T will be ok for TA 05 or it is too much?
Old 10-14-2009, 02:43 PM   #27
Tech Addict

Quote:
Do you think Team Orion Vortex 2008 Racing Brushless Motor 4T will be ok for TA 05 or it is too much?
I think you should start in the slowest class they have. That motor will be too much for the TA05 but more importantly far too much for a beginner driver.

A 4T is not only wickedly fast but the damage to your car when you crash it will be severe, and the wear and tear on a car with a motor of that capability will be huge, Get ready for constant maintenance and rebuilds. You will also need the best batteries you can find.

And if your going to be going that fast, Forget the TA05 and buy a chassis that is designed to travel at those speeds.

Or buy the TA05,use it for a year in a suitable class, and then consider what class you want to move into.
Metla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:27 PM   #28
j0e
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metla View Post
I think you should start in the slowest class they have. That motor will be too much for the TA05 but more importantly far too much for a beginner driver.

A 4T is not only wickedly fast but the damage to your car when you crash it will be severe, and the wear and tear on a car with a motor of that capability will be huge, Get ready for constant maintenance and rebuilds. You will also need the best batteries you can find.

And if your going to be going that fast, Forget the TA05 and buy a chassis that is designed to travel at those speeds.

Or buy the TA05,use it for a year in a suitable class, and then consider what class you want to move into.
So do you think a 9T will be better to deal with?

Last edited by j0e; 10-14-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:47 PM   #29
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

well where to begin. for out door pavement racing I would go with TB03. for indoor carpet racing i would go with the TA05. I would go with the R version for both. they come with a few hop up parts and you cant beat Tamiya alloy shocks hands down.

As far as a power plant I would go with a 17.5 brushless system AKA stock class. Any thing else is just to much power for a beginer racer. One thing to remember is the faster motor = parts will breakdown faster and WHEN (not if)you crash the more parts you will break. most importantly if you are planning to race it at a local club/track to find out what classes and motors they run.
team jeremiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:29 PM   #30
Tech Elite

+1 on the 17.5 brushless. Start SLOW and work your way up. Nothing is more frustrating than a touring car you can't control.

TB-03 and TA-05 v.2 "R" versions do not exist yet. The last "R" versions (TA-05R and TA-05 IFS-R) have been discontinued but might be out there......somewhere...