R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   TC3 TO TC4? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/335114-tc3-tc4.html)

vinny73 10-12-2009 09:35 AM

TC3 TO TC4?

Just bought a used TC3 and am wondering what parts from the TC4 will work on it. I noticed the chassis is different as well as the chassis braces. Will the drivetrain from the TC3 transfer over to the TC4 Chassis? I did try searching the TC3 thread, but soooooo many pages! Thanks, Vinny:confused::confused:

Also noticed the c hubs are different. The TC4 seems to have more adjustments and would like to be able to tune my car a little bit closer to perfection.:cry: I know, I know, it's an old car. But its in my budget and in my skill level. New to TC and learning lots from you folks' threads. THanks for your time, Vinny

liljohn1064 10-12-2009 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by vinny73 (Post 6462983)
Just bought a used TC3 and am wondering what parts from the TC4 will work on it. I noticed the chassis is different as well as the chassis braces. Will the drivetrain from the TC3 transfer over to the TC4 Chassis? I did try searching the TC3 thread, but soooooo many pages! Thanks, Vinny:confused::confused:

Also noticed the c hubs are different. The TC4 seems to have more adjustments and would like to be able to tune my car a little bit closer to perfection.:cry: I know, I know, it's an old car. But its in my budget and in my skill level. New to TC and learning lots from you folks' threads. THanks for your time, Vinny

Put the Factory Team TC3 front and rear arms on it and you'll have droop settings. Beyond that, stay with the TC3 parts. Most of the drivetrain will swap in, including the shafts for the 190mm setup.

stiltskin 10-12-2009 11:16 AM

Alot of our local guys were keeping the TC3 chassis and arms but swapping out the shock tower and corner braces. TC3 1/2. The drivetrain will swap over but not much else without modification.

vinny73 10-12-2009 11:29 AM

Sweet!

I have allready upgraded the carbon shocks to the VCS2 shocks and that made a huge difference! Was only thinking of changing the chassis pan to see if the tweak was any different. Do I replace both front and rear arms? And with shock towers, are both the front and back different? I noticed on the Medium Grip-Asphalt setup sheets for the TC3, racers were using the rear shock tower on the front. Any insight on this? Thanks for the info so far!!!! Good to not get bashed for the inability to find the answers to something that has probably been asked a thousand times!!!! 1001! Keep the info coming!!!!! Any awesome mods out there? THanks, Vinny

stiltskin 10-12-2009 11:51 AM

I remember them running the rear tower on the front, but I never tried it. I don't recall the purpose. The TC4 had more flex in it, so many people were running a carbon fiber brace between the two diff cases. People with TC3's were grinding out the center of the chassis to move the batteries closer to center. It was also common to put the nitro steering rack in the car to replace the sliding rack. The TC4 was supposed to take all of the mods that the team drivers were doing to their TC3s and offer them fresh out of the box.

vinny73 10-12-2009 08:17 PM

Chassis

Originally Posted by stiltskin (Post 6463452)
I remember them running the rear tower on the front, but I never tried it. I don't recall the purpose. The TC4 had more flex in it, so many people were running a carbon fiber brace between the two diff cases. People with TC3's were grinding out the center of the chassis to move the batteries closer to center. It was also common to put the nitro steering rack in the car to replace the sliding rack. The TC4 was supposed to take all of the mods that the team drivers were doing to their TC3s and offer them fresh out of the box.

I will have to look into the steering from the ntc3. I like the steering now though. I have, it turns out, the updated arms in the rear and front. Just happen to need a new right rear because of a collision this past weekend. Keep the ideas coming!!! I'm stoked to learn new things about this car. Yeah yeah it's old. But, being offroad bashing for the last 23 years, this is my first TC and racing as well. Pretty fun. I will eventually get a nicer car, but I gotta make sure this isn't a fad for me. The LHS owner says there is a point where you are throwing good money at something bad, but I figure as I break stuff, and after seeing how bad of a driver I am, which that will be weekly, I can change the things that break and still have a solid car and still have fun. When that day comes where the TC3 takes a backseat to something new, it will be because I have learned enough to be able to enjoy or use all the adjustability features of new fangdangled technology. Keep the ideas coming please.

My current track is a medium traction smooth asphalt. I am running, well, just bought a LRP TC SPEC Spere competition ESC, Fantom 17.5 BL Motor, RP36 tires, 40wt oil with silver springs in front, 35wt oil with silver springs in rear, Futaba s3003 steering servo, VCS2 shocks with carbon bodies, not adjustable collared aluminum types, and a Mazda Speed 6 body with the wing as far back as possible. I am also running a Orion 2400mah 7.2v nmhd battery, deans connectors, no weights on the chassis yet, an MX3 fm 75mhz radio with an airtronics micro receiver......That's all that I can think of to let you know what I am running. I have currently got it setup simmilar to barry Bakers car in the 2002 Worlds? I thinks! I have alot to learn on radio setup as well. After getting the car close to what I like driving, it had mad oversteer on power in the corners. Switching directions throught the chicanes was sad! Before I messed with it I had major understeer. At this point, I am not frustrated cause it's still fun for me! Before I was just a builder. Not much into driving. And definately not competing! Now that I got that bug of fun with driving, to go back to the bench is no problem for me! Either way, I get to drive so I like that now. And if it doesn't work, I get to go back to the bench again. And I really like that part! So much for a long story short! Thanks for the info and help. It is much appreciated! Vinny

PS. Ever run the carbon fiber flat chassis? Instead of the composite tubtype? What did you think of it?

vinny73 10-14-2009 05:54 AM

Welll?

Anything else?