R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-12-2009, 06:06 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Korean Electric Sedan Nationals

Hi everyone,

Just a quick break from the usual "Why is there a new touring car?" or "How do I make my car do 140 mph in my driveway? threads.

I got the opportunity to race at the Korean EP sedan nationals this past weekend at the PTS circuit about 40 minutes south of Seoul. I'm an American service member, so racing at a foreign countries' nationals posed a unique challenge. In order to be eligible to race as a non-Korean, you have to be invited by a Korean RC company. My buddy here and I, after struggling for a two months to actually find the track, began practicing with the locals. These guys are some of the nicest people I've ever met, and thankfully, A young guy who just happened to live in the US for three years and works for Quark ESC's got us into the race.

The track itself is a direct copy of the RCS track in Thailand with smooth as silk asphalt, and tons of traction with roughly a 190 foot straight. 40 drivers raced the stocked class, which btw was 10.5, and mod had 22 entries. Also a 12th scale class with 8 entries. The race had 5 quals and triple A-mains, with the best of 3 counting towards your qualifying spot for the main.

Here's some interesting facts about the race and my experience:

-The race cost $42 US to enter
-Control tires were Much More 32's. Each racer was allowed three sets for qualifying. Tires cost $13 US. Not a typo, $13 each! These tires are fantastic, getting about 3 runs in stock and two runs in mod with no time loss.
-All Korean champions were there to race the sedan nationals. The 1/8th scale on road champ, GP sedan champ, electric off road champ, and 1/8th scale off road champ. Dont see that very often in the US.
-There are giant yellow spiders starring at you from the top of the pit tent (see pic below).
-The Mod champ of the race, Mr Kim, has to take a two year break from racing to complete his mandatory service in the Korean Army.
-The Mod class had to run NIMH cells. Everyone runs 6 cells and 3.5 motors. Its retarded fast.
-Scotty Ernst is a famous guy here. The minute folks saw we were American, the first question was, "Do you know Scotty Ernst?"
-Cars and parts here are rather expensive. A Tamiya 416 car will roughly go for $750 US here.
-Mod sedan on asphalt is much harder than it looks, especially for a carpet guy.

We did okay for the amount of practice that we had. Most who attended the race had been practicing for at least two months for this race.

This was definitely a wonderful, one in a life time experience. A full race report will be on Red RC soon.

Just wanted to share.

Steve

-
Attached Thumbnails
Korean Electric Sedan Nationals-imgp4485.jpg   Korean Electric Sedan Nationals-imgp4486.jpg   Korean Electric Sedan Nationals-imgp4487.jpg   Korean Electric Sedan Nationals-imgp4488.jpg  

Hyperform racing--In memory of Lino

Last edited by Bigdaddyswank; 10-13-2009 at 05:19 AM.
Bigdaddyswank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:10 AM   #2
Tech Regular

More pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Korean Electric Sedan Nationals-imgp4489.jpg   Korean Electric Sedan Nationals-imgp4491.jpg   Korean Electric Sedan Nationals-imgp4492.jpg   Korean Electric Sedan Nationals-imgp4493.jpg   Korean Electric Sedan Nationals-imgp4494.jpg  

Old 10-12-2009, 06:13 AM   #3
Tech Regular

more pics....
Attached Thumbnails
Korean Electric Sedan Nationals-imgp4498.jpg   Korean Electric Sedan Nationals-imgp4503.jpg   Korean Electric Sedan Nationals-imgp4505.jpg   Korean Electric Sedan Nationals-imgp4508.jpg   Korean Electric Sedan Nationals-imgp4514.jpg  

Old 10-12-2009, 06:32 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Mugen10 Send a message via Skype™ to Mugen10

Sounds like a very cool trip. I love Korean food. Can't get enough of kimchi. Maybe the next time I am in the Asian area Korea will be one of the stops.
Mugen10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:50 AM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Did Mr Kim and Mr Lee show up at the race? Just kidding. That's awesome. I'm in the Navy and spent 4 months in Pohang between November 08 and March 09. It is a beautiful country and you are right about the class of people in South Korea. I did get the chance to spend a weekend in Seoul and had a great time. As hard as I tried, I couldn't find any racing, but I wasn't in a position to race anyway. (just wanted to watch) Congrats on the opportunity. It truly is a once in a lifetime experience.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:22 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to todb

congrats on the race. i am stationed in camp humphreys and would have loved to have been there to race. i never really tried to find the track although I knew it was in that area. i'm such a slacker. looks like you guys had fun.
todb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:27 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kwikvdub

Awesome stuff Steve!......... Glad you were able to race and represent!

TQRacing / 360 v2 RC Raceway / Team Downgrade Designs
Kwikvdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:22 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I FUKING hate spiders
dawgmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:21 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Nice job. Good to see you racing again. Were the spiders poisonous? Who did your paint?
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:38 PM   #10
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

so boice you on the same base with my man Todb?
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:40 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Awesome Steve. Glad to see your getting some wheel time in brother. You are very missed here. I owe you and Shawn C everything for pushing me so hard the last few years. I still hear your words from Vegas last year.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

That's awesome. I didn't know there was an onroad track there. I did my year in Korea at Yongsan in 2007. Leave it to the Koreans to copy something...they copy everything, even R/C tracks.
bfong13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #13
Tech Apprentice

As I sit at work (pretending to look busy) I find your thread and got stuck reading lol. Great stuff and great pics
V_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:19 AM   #14
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

How'd you do Steve? When I was there I raced the "23T Invitational" at I-Net raceway (invited by ryan lee). If I remember right we did 5 qualifiers and triple A's in one afternoon. After your race was over you were up again in about 20 minutes
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:23 AM   #15
Tech Initiate

Great report! It is always good to read about racing in foreign countries, especially from an outsider's perspective.
Smokem Racing is offline   Reply With Quote