R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-11-2009, 10:01 PM   #1
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default PRODUCT REVIEW THREAD... LRP DIGITAL SOLDERING STATION

This is not intended to be another "which iron is best" thread.

I would like some honest reviews about this product (LRP 65800). It looks like a very nice product, but I have heard nothing about it from consumers.

Please keep on topic (LRP65800) rather than discussing other brands.
mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
Regional Moderator

bump
Old 10-12-2009, 04:00 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

if it has a "turbo" function, I will purchase it...

j/k q ))

back on track.. I would like to hear from users about it as well... it looks interesting, and how does it compare to the other big 936 in terms of heatup and how fast it recovers during soldering.
Dondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

In vegas I used Sean Cochrans at least 10 times and it was by far the nicest iron I have ever used.
He did have a different tip on his.
Josh Hohnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:16 PM   #5
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Hohnstein View Post
In vegas I used Sean Cochrans at least 10 times and it was by far the nicest iron I have ever used.
He did have a different tip on his.
Ah yes, this was a concern. On the LRP website there are no replacement tips that I have seen. Also in the description it notes that the iron comes with two tips but both are very small.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:13 AM   #6
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have not this soldering station but I know this one and if I had to buy one now I would go for it. For just soldering wires to the motor a lot of soldering irons may be working. But I think if you want replacing wires at the ESC what had been soldered using leadfree solder thatīs where you will run into problems with nearly all "usual" soldering stations. But also this is where the LRP really shins especially if the ESC is using a very thick PCB board like the GM 90/120. There is a reason why a certain brand now is selling a soldering station looking the same as the LRP.
V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

BTW, which iron is best?

Current price for the LRP65800 nearly equals to that for the reputable and reliable OKI-Metcal PS-900 of industrial grade, with a huge amount of widely available spare tips for any taste. On the other hand there's LRP65800 with these two small tips available only, according to the manual, and its press release... The unit is nice looking and adjustable though.

It would be interesting to see any data on the LRP65800 thermo stability. And any 'real person's' review on its usability comparing to other EMI heating soldering stations.
Is LRP65800 better than Chinese branded Quick models for the same money?
vm_spb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

When buying a iron I asked myself...what do the high volume electronic mfgs. use??? one name kept coming up...Solomon Irons....Designed for extremely precise temp. control...Digital...solid ceramic element(not coated) all replaceable parts and many tip sizes avail. Parts are everywhere. This unit is designed to be left on all day and maintain its prescision tip temp. goes from 150 deg to 900 deg tip temp. WoW
I paid 129 for it 5 years ago and use the hell out of it.
see pics below. search google and you will find them.
The best Iron you will ever own.

Last edited by fat500; 07-22-2010 at 04:07 PM.
fat500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:43 PM   #9
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat500 View Post
When buying a iron I asked myself...what do the high volume electronic mfgs. use??? one name kept coming up...Solomon Irons....Designed for extremely precise temp. control...Digital...solid ceramic element(not coated) all replaceable parts and many tip sizes avail. Parts are everywhere. This unit is designed to be left on all day and maintain its prescision tip temp. goes from 150 deg to 900 deg tip temp. WoW
I paid 129 for it 5 years ago and use the hell out of it.
see pics below. search google and you will find them.
The best Iron you will ever own.
I have this solder station for 7 years now and never had any problems. I got it from www.mpja.com and its worth every penny I paid for it... All $49.00
http://www.mpja.com/productsdirect.a...item4=15141+TL
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:05 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Best 40 bucks spent.
Hakko 456 45 watts, I have soldered outside in a blizzard with this, but if I was going to buy a station I would get the LRP.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:26 PM   #11
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashuffer View Post
if I was going to buy a station I would get the LRP.
I don't know their history... Is LRP known in EMI soldering station building or just in soldering equipment manufacturing? Otherwise we would investigate their OEM manufacturer.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:55 PM   #12
Tech Elite

I do have this LRP soldering station, I bought mine at my LHS which is also an LRP distributor for my region. I ve been using it a little less than a year. I can't compare it to the ohter top brand soldering station as this is my 1st proper R/C orientate solder station. (Before this all my solder were the cheapo ones ). I m not actually a heavy soldering user , so far I have used it to replaced ESC wires from their PCB, motor wires, working on my Miniz MosFET and replacing batt connectors only.

What I really like about it?
1. The temp rises to your set temp very quickly.
2. When you put the solder iron onto the holder, it will automatically reduce the iron temp to pre set temp of 200C, which I think will prolong the life of the tip. When you pick it up the temp rises very quickly.
3. It has a safety feature which will switch off the station if its idle for a predetermined time...( I set mine to 10 mins )
4. The included 2 tips are perfect for my soldering application, I don't know if I need more sizes in the future.
5. The iron can be hold like you are writing with a pen,(unlike my cheapo solder which the distance from the tip to the holder is a bit apart so I have the tendency of hand vibration when soldering) so I can do my solder job precisely....esp for my MiniZ mosfet replacement.

What I dont like?

None so far....
Old 01-19-2010, 11:33 PM   #13
Tech Rookie

dameetz thank you very much for the informative review!

And what about the station build quality, is it as pleasant as on picture? What about buttons, LCD, iron stand? And the iron connecting cord, is it of silicon and is it soft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dameetz View Post
The temp rises to your set temp very quickly
Would you kindly estimate the time for heating from room and/or from 200C to working temperature, please? There's no any data on that in the spec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dameetz View Post
replacing batt connectors
Did you solder wires right to a battery (of what kind?) top, at which station temp setting and is it really suitable for that work with its max 1.2mm tip?

I use to do it with a conventional 100W iron with its thick 10mm tip. It is strong enough but not gentle because of its size. And it would be nice to have a fine iron with a short tip-to-grip distance for all kinds of work including this hard one.

As to me I now try to decide between the OKi PS-900 and the LRP65800. The first one is reputable but is not adjustable at all, while sometimes I use an iron not only for soldering but for heating something too, where the LRP' versatility would be rather great...

Last edited by vm_spb; 01-19-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:54 AM   #14
Tech Rookie

Google for the Quick 202D (I'm not allowed to post links yet). Differs in color only. Parts should fit both.

Chinese Quick Electric Co, Ltd electromagnetic heating stations are known and have good feedback. So this "LRP" should be a normal station too. Overpriced though, taking into account that LRP say nothing on ESD unlike the original. And later Quick models have better temp control and stability due to more accurate thermosensor placing.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:38 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm_spb View Post
And what about the station build quality, is it as pleasant as on picture? What about buttons, LCD, iron stand? And the iron connecting cord, is it of silicon and is it soft?
The built quality is excellent....the station size is just right for traveling.....the LCD has a pleasant blue backlit.....the iron stand is black which has a magnetic sensor to automatically reduce the iron temp to 200C, when you pick it up a beep will occur from the station telling you that its in operation the temp will rise immediately after that. The stand also in cooperate as a tip cleaner where a sponge is included (you have to dip it in the water first, after that it will expand) The connecting rod is soft and very flexible, I don't have issue where the cord flexibility is limiting my soldering job.

Quote:
Would you kindly estimate the time for heating from room and/or from 200C to working temperature, please? There's no any data on that in the spec.
From room temp when I switch it on (the iron is in the holder), I would say like 10 sec temp rising to 200C. From 200C to max 480C (when you pick the iron from the holder) I would say like 5-7 secs....( I ll time it up next time I m using it for better estimate)

Quote:
Did you solder wires right to a battery (of what kind?) top, at which station temp setting and is it really suitable for that work with its max 1.2mm tip?
What i meant was I m soldering Bullet/banana batt connectors, I ve never have experience soldering the wires directly to the batts (like Sub C) (Actually I started EP racing when Lipo got started to be use) I' m sure there will be no problem for that application. There are 2 types of tips included , one with narrow tip the other are broader type (not sure the exact size though, I have to check it again, its in the box right now...as i said I m not a heavy solder user so I seldom use it....so I keep it in the box and only get it out whenever I require it)