Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
sealing a chassis? >

sealing a chassis?

Like Tree5Likes

sealing a chassis?

Old 10-11-2009, 06:03 PM
Tech Adept

Default sealing a chassis?

What does it exactly mean to seal a chassis and how is it done, to what advantage?
Old 10-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robsryd View Post
What does it exactly mean to seal a chassis and how is it done, to what advantage?

It involves coating the trimmed edges of the carbon with a thin film of 2part epoxy or CA glue. It keeps the carbon plies from splitting when it gets hit.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robsryd View Post
Sand the edge of the chassis and seal it with CA glue. I hold the chassis upright and put a drop of glue on the edge and let it run down. Follow the drop and put another one on before it runs out until the entire chassis edge is coated. The benefit is that your chassis edge will not cut into the carpet if you roll too much and it will help prevent the chassis from splitting or splintering if you are in a collision. It also makes the car look better.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Check this out.

http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules.p...article&sid=16
Old 10-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Or do it the easy and better way. File the sharp edges slightly and use blue threadlock on the edges.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:36 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

not followin the blue loctite thing. loctite only becomes solid in the absence of air. perhaps i'm missin somethin there.

clear nail polish or dripping CA (carefully) so it runs down the edge and works its way all around. usually 2 coats (sand the 1st). make a real nice piece.

1 thing though
You sand that chassis, hang your ego up on the shop door, and WEAR A MASK!

R
Old 10-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Tech Adept

Very cool. Thanks to all. I have just bought a second TC5 and want to do some customizing as well as a few "must do's", like sealing the edges. I also plan to lightly file the inside edges of the bulkheads to show a little silver, and give it a custom look like some of the other kits I have seen. Thanks again!!!
Old 10-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ultegrasti View Post
not followin the blue loctite thing. loctite only becomes solid in the absence of air. perhaps i'm missin somethin there.

clear nail polish or dripping CA (carefully) so it runs down the edge and works its way all around. usually 2 coats (sand the 1st). make a real nice piece.

1 thing though
You sand that chassis, hang your ego up on the shop door, and WEAR A MASK!

R
It gets absorbed into the carbon fiber. Ive done it for a while but the Exotek chassis instructions say to use that method because CA can cause the flexing characteristics of the chassis to change. The loctite has a nice look to it without all the effort to CA.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Bumping this thread instead of creating a new one. Times have changed, and how we run our cars have changed since the creation of this thread.

Most modern touring cars have quite a bit of flex tune by means of the chassis. Are you all still sealing your chassis with CA? Are you only sanding? Let me know your thoughts.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I have never sealed a chassis. I don't do it because of the fear that the flex will be affected, I don't do it because I'm lazy! Life is too short to sand and glue carbon graphite parts. And I have never had a carbon graphite part de-laminate.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:16 PM
Tech Regular

If you never seal the chassis then you have definitely cut your carpet. Outdoor, do what you want but if you race on carpet, sand and seal the chassis. You aren't the only one using the track. Added benefit is it protects the chassis too. Not buying the flex characteristic argument.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I stopped sealing mine, but I sand it round with 150 like the CRC guide shows, and then smooth it out with 600 and call it a day.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dman18t View Post
If you never seal the chassis then you have definitely cut your carpet. Outdoor, do what you want but if you race on carpet, sand and seal the chassis. You aren't the only one using the track. Added benefit is it protects the chassis too. Not buying the flex characteristic argument.
Carpet is for your living room, dirt is for farming, and asphalt is for racing. 😀
ScottE1776 and gigaplex like this.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:30 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by glennhl View Post

Carpet is for your living room, dirt is for farming, and asphalt is for racing. 😀
Unfortunately for Midwest and east coast we get this thing called winter. Indoor carpet is becoming the best chance for tracks to stay viable.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:41 PM
Tech Regular

Try to use a rubberised CA glue if possible, it flexes better and is tougher.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.