Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
sealing a chassis? >

sealing a chassis?

Like Tree5Likes

sealing a chassis?

Old 01-08-2019, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dman18t View Post
If you never seal the chassis then you have definitely cut your carpet.
Rubbish.

I've never sealed a chassis. I don't think many racers actually do. I've never had a delamination. I have seen almost no cut carpets in nearly 20 years of racing but I have seen plenty of chassis rub on my own cars. By your logic I should have been responsible for multiple cuts myself in that time.

Carpets get cut by loose screws.

And sealing is a waste of time (source: carbon fibre manufacturer), which can actually cause a tweak if done on top decks and shock towers. I also think it looks crap.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

If you have been unfortunate enough to self install one of those lovely Carbon Fiber splinters you will see right away why you seal the edges.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Seal your chassis only if you're planning to hold on to it past the next ten future evolutions of your tc brand... I never do it to avoid the health hazards...
glennhl likes this.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I sand the edges and chamfer them with a sanding block then put a couple drops of ca on and wipe it into the graphite with a paper towel. Leaves a dull finish with a thin film. More than one coat isnt really needed unless its patchy.
if you dont like dust use wet dry sandpaper and a soap/water mixture to sand. Then wash the whole part with soap water before applying glue.
oh and tire glue works realy nice. They are generally flexible and dont chip as easily. I dont really like the big buildup and painted edges a lot ofnpeople do. Looks like sht when it chips. Also these are racecars ha. Cf parts are typically consumables particularly if you race outside.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:15 PM
Tech Addict

if i sealed my 417 properly Then i dont need to draw It myself...
Nerobro likes this.