R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-10-2009, 07:08 PM   #1
-J-
Tech Regular
 
-J-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 446
Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)
Default 17.5 Touring Questions

I'm looking to get into 17.5 touring. My LHS has a track out back. It's a small infield road course type track inside a trioval. It's asphalt, and quite slick. I'll be running rubber tires. I'm looking for some suggestions on what chassis to run for the conditions I've described. I'm not looking to spend $500 on a chassis alone. I was thinking about something in the $400 and below price range. I've been looking at the TOP Photon, Hot Bodies Cyclone TC, AE TC5R, etc. BTW, I have some radio gear from another chassis I was running: TP Pro Race 2s 4200mAh 40C li-po, futaba bls451 servo, and spektrum receiver. I can't really afford to replace what I currently have at the moment. Please take that into consideration when suggesting a chassis. Also, what kind of bodies are people running? Mind you it's a tight, slow, and technical infield track. Any other information pertaining to 17.5 touring would be great.
__________________
TLR - Viper R/C - PowerPush - Spektrum - eXpress Motorsports - B-Fast R/C

Last edited by -J-; 10-10-2009 at 07:21 PM.
-J- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
Tech Addict
 
Jackster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 646
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Protoform R9R DNA1/2 or maybe Mazdaspeed 6.



Jackster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:58 PM   #3
Tech Regular
 
#88driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Jonesboro, Arkansas
Posts: 482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -J- View Post
I'm looking to get into 17.5 touring. My LHS has a track out back. It's a small infield road course type track inside a trioval. It's asphalt, and quite slick. I'll be running rubber tires. I'm looking for some suggestions on what chassis to run for the conditions I've described. I'm not looking to spend $500 on a chassis alone. I was thinking about something in the $400 and below price range. I've been looking at the TOP Photon, Hot Bodies Cyclone TC, AE TC5R, etc. BTW, I have some radio gear from another chassis I was running: TP Pro Race 2s 4200mAh 40C li-po, futaba bls451 servo, and spektrum receiver. I can't really afford to replace what I currently have at the moment. Please take that into consideration when suggesting a chassis. Also, what kind of bodies are people running? Mind you it's a tight, slow, and technical infield track. Any other information pertaining to 17.5 touring would be great.
I'm not sure if you have considered this or not but have you looked at the Xray T2R Pro? Its a very nice budget car and is still very competitive.
__________________
Colton Jaynes
*RC America*Hudy*Xray*Jaco*KO Propo*SMC*EA Motorsports*
rchobbiesstore.com
#88driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:03 PM   #4
Tech Champion
 
John Tag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 8,925
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default

Protoform LTC Body is very good choice or Speed 6, R9R is not very popular as they tend to be very loose..Best overall body thou is Speed 6. Tires for there RP30s..Speedo Tekins RS are great or LRP Spx. Chassie TOP cars are good cars out of which you posted.

If your speaking of Rock Hill I ran there today. Your current radio gear is fine also.
__________________
www.express-motorsports.net for all your motor needs
Multi time National Champions,Reedy Champs,Vegas Champs,Birds, Champs,[email protected]

Team Associated-Express Motorsports-Trinity-Reflex Racing-A Main Hobbies-ProtekRC
John Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:05 PM   #5
Tech Addict
 
Jackster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 646
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

EDIT: Local guy.
Jackster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:09 PM   #6
-J-
Tech Regular
 
-J-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 446
Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tag View Post
Protoform LTC Body is very good choice or Speed 6, R9R is not very popular as they tend to be very loose..Best overall body thou is Speed 6. Tires for there RP30s..Speedo Tekins RS are great or LRP Spx. Chassie TOP cars are good cars out of which you posted.

If your speaking of Rock Hill I ran there today. Your current radio gear is fine also.
I was at the Grove today as well. Blonde haired kid with black pants and gray t-shirt. I believe I talked to your son.

How is the Hot Bodies Cyclone TC? I saw there was one running today. I may have a trade for a decent one.

Thanks for the help.
__________________
TLR - Viper R/C - PowerPush - Spektrum - eXpress Motorsports - B-Fast R/C
-J- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:19 PM   #7
Tech Champion
 
John Tag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 8,925
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -J- View Post
I was at the Grove today as well. Blonde haired kid with black pants and gray t-shirt. I believe I talked to your son.

How is the Hot Bodies Cyclone TC? I saw there was one running today. I may have a trade for a decent one.

Thanks for the help.
Yea Probally my son. He drove the Orange car I had the yellow car.

HB car is decent car as long as its in good shape from who you buy it from. But going new a TOP,Losi or AE cars are all good to start. My sons Losi car is almost stock out of box with added spool gear, Sway bar kit and springs total about $35 in upgrades.

He also running a Standard LRP TC Spec speedo, You saw how fast he was..So a good used LRP TC Spec speedo will get you going well also.
__________________
www.express-motorsports.net for all your motor needs
Multi time National Champions,Reedy Champs,Vegas Champs,Birds, Champs,[email protected]

Team Associated-Express Motorsports-Trinity-Reflex Racing-A Main Hobbies-ProtekRC
John Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:24 PM   #8
-J-
Tech Regular
 
-J-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 446
Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tag View Post
Yea Probally my son. He drove the Orange car I had the yellow car.

HB car is decent car as long as its in good shape from who you buy it from. But going new a TOP,Losi or AE cars are all good to start. My sons Losi car is almost stock out of box with added spool gear, Sway bar kit and springs total about $35 in upgrades.
So you would recommend the Losi? Being $320 is a huge plus. Is that what you were running today?
__________________
TLR - Viper R/C - PowerPush - Spektrum - eXpress Motorsports - B-Fast R/C
-J- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:30 PM   #9
Tech Champion
 
John Tag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 8,925
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -J- View Post
So you would recommend the Losi? Being $320 is a huge plus. Is that what you were running today?
Yupper.. Thats all we run right now..Great car's..Yea Losi finished 1-2-3 today. All I would recomend for update are 1-Sway bar kit(install .40 on front), 42T spool gear(for front) and 1-15 Lb spring set for rear(use kit 17 rear springs and use those on front). All for about $35 in upgrades. Start with KIT Build set up and run.
__________________
www.express-motorsports.net for all your motor needs
Multi time National Champions,Reedy Champs,Vegas Champs,Birds, Champs,[email protected]

Team Associated-Express Motorsports-Trinity-Reflex Racing-A Main Hobbies-ProtekRC
John Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:37 PM   #10
-J-
Tech Regular
 
-J-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 446
Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)
Default

So I can run my li-po in the JRX-S no problem? What kind of pinions are you running at the Grove? Thanks again.
__________________
TLR - Viper R/C - PowerPush - Spektrum - eXpress Motorsports - B-Fast R/C
-J- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:43 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic
 
dfiantii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Arlington, Tx
Posts: 799
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to dfiantii Send a message via Yahoo to dfiantii
Default

Check the for sale thread there is a Losi Type R for sale right now. I just bought a lipo pack from the guy selling. Here is the thread. Try and talk him down. 350 hmm might be a little high.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...tems-more.html
__________________
TT-01/Hitec MG/SP LPF V1.1/Trinity 7.5
Losi Type-R/JR Z8800S/SP GT 2.0
Exotek F1R/Savox 1251/Tekin RS
TLR 22 2.0
"ELECTRIFIED TO THE HILT"
dfiantii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:45 PM   #12
-J-
Tech Regular
 
-J-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 446
Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiantii View Post
Check the for sale thread there is a Losi Type R for sale right now. I just bought a lipo pack from the guy selling. Here is the thread. Try and talk him down. 350 hmm might be a little high.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...tems-more.html
Appreciate it. I'll PM him. Kind of sad he's asking $350 for it when you can get it for $315 from amain.
__________________
TLR - Viper R/C - PowerPush - Spektrum - eXpress Motorsports - B-Fast R/C
-J- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:48 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic
 
dfiantii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Arlington, Tx
Posts: 799
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to dfiantii Send a message via Yahoo to dfiantii
Default

Yeah. The lipo pack he is selling. I have one already but wanted two. They fit the Type R. Maybe he is charging for it being assembled. But I would break it down anyway and rebuilt it so you know how your car is set up from scratch. Thats what I did with a third hand Corally RDX I bought for RCGT Class.
__________________
TT-01/Hitec MG/SP LPF V1.1/Trinity 7.5
Losi Type-R/JR Z8800S/SP GT 2.0
Exotek F1R/Savox 1251/Tekin RS
TLR 22 2.0
"ELECTRIFIED TO THE HILT"
dfiantii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:56 PM   #14
-J-
Tech Regular
 
-J-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 446
Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)
Default

The li-po I plan to use is 1mm bigger in every dimension. It should fit right? Thanks.
__________________
TLR - Viper R/C - PowerPush - Spektrum - eXpress Motorsports - B-Fast R/C
-J- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:46 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic
 
dfiantii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Arlington, Tx
Posts: 799
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to dfiantii Send a message via Yahoo to dfiantii
Default

What is the name of the lipo. I think the Losi Type R Thread is going to become your best friend.
__________________
TT-01/Hitec MG/SP LPF V1.1/Trinity 7.5
Losi Type-R/JR Z8800S/SP GT 2.0
Exotek F1R/Savox 1251/Tekin RS
TLR 22 2.0
"ELECTRIFIED TO THE HILT"
dfiantii is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2009 Kamloops Fall Touring Car Classic, September 18th to 20th FIVE 7 Canadian R/C Scene 83 06-14-2010 10:21 PM
*******Tekin RS, Tekin 17.5, Novak 17.5, Spektrum Micro Receiver, Digital camera***** Ozzie R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 15 05-11-2009 09:30 AM
Best choice ESC/Motor Combo for 13.5 touring??? iLL-Mitch Electric On-Road 24 04-30-2009 05:06 AM
ARIZONA TOURING CAR RACERS rcracerdude Racing Forum 6536 03-06-2008 04:21 PM
The all in one (12th / touring) 17.5 gearing thread (Novak LRP Tekin Orion) nashrcracer Electric On-Road 55 02-13-2008 05:50 PM
2008 Novak Race/United States Touring Car Championships Big Daddy Boomer Electric On-Road 386 01-12-2008 09:54 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:00 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net