R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-16-2004, 09:06 AM   #31
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to AdR|aN

Quote:
Originally posted by pumpkinfish
Sorry if I hijack this post, but...

What is the difference between a mod motor lathe and stock motor lathe? I just started carpet racing this winter and have been a nitro offroad guy. I want to race 19t mod this summer with my T4 and want to get a lathe that will cut that and do my stock motor that we run in carpet.

Thanks!
pumpkin. The first thing you should know about stock motors is wheather the motor is rebuildable or not.

Stock motor lathe is a machine that cuts the comm of the armature without removing the endbell. This is because stock motor's endbell cannot be removed.

On the other hand, a mod motor lathe is used when you can removed the comm from the motor. Some stocks motor are rebuildable so you can removed the armature from the motor and do a cut with a mod motor lathe.

Hope this helps.

Just my 2 cents worth
AdR|aN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 09:08 AM   #32
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by wyd
Twister. The 1st and still the best in my opinion. Hard to find them but if you do you won't be disappointed.
I bought my twister lathe used almost 10 years ago and it still has the same diamond bit in it as it did when I bought it. The twister will always be the bench mark for any lathe sold
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 09:27 AM   #33
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

AdR|aN, I do have a rebuildable stock motor. A guy was kind enough this past weekend to show me how to take it apart and how to lathe it. I was unsure of what lathe to buy. I just want to buy the proper lathe for my needs which is stock motor for carpet and mod for offroad.
pumpkinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 09:34 AM   #34
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by pumpkinfish
AdR|aN, I do have a rebuildable stock motor. A guy was kind enough this past weekend to show me how to take it apart and how to lathe it. I was unsure of what lathe to buy. I just want to buy the proper lathe for my needs which is stock motor for carpet and mod for offroad.
Before venturing into what lathe to buy, first ask yourself.
Is there any STOCK MOTOR race that you will be attending?
Meaning of STOCK MOTOR here is those UNrebuildable motors.
If you are, then you have 2 choice.

1. Buy 2 lathe. 1 for stock motor (unrebuildable) and 1 for mod motors.

or

2. Buy Hudy Multipack comm lathe. Its 2 lathe in 1. Cuts both mod and stock motor.

But i have found out that alot of manufacturers are actually launching alot of rebuildable stock motor. Not many are into stock motors that stay like that . STOCK.
So check out the local racers and make a decision.
Don hurry.

As a comm lathe is a one time investment, try to get top of the line comm lathe. I would recommen HUDY. Others would say otherwise. Depend on yourself and your pocket.

Just my 2 cents
Old 02-16-2004, 10:44 AM   #35
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Howard
I bought my twister lathe used almost 10 years ago and it still has the same diamond bit in it as it did when I bought it. The twister will always be the bench mark for any lathe sold
As Matt said Twister is the benchmark for any lathe. I donīt remember exactly but my Twister is anything as 15 years old and still using the original diamond bit with very good results.

But as most people donīt know the brand Twister these days some of the guys here attached a printout of these words at the lathe " Itīs not a Hudy itīs a Twister".
V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 10:58 AM   #36
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
With out looking into the past, What is the best lathe availible to be purchased right now?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my dime.jpg (113.4 KB, 110 views)
jc510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 10:58 AM   #37
Tech Elite

I don have much experience in this lathe thingy.

Just join into the EP world (previously from GP) and still learning things everyday.

Mind explaining more on this TWISTER product??

TIA
Old 02-16-2004, 11:16 AM   #38
Tech Elite

Twister made great comm lathes. I still have my twister slot motor lathe. But the point is that unless you find one on ebay, they are no longer available.

Hardly anybody in the US races non-rebuildable stock motors any more. I bought the Hudy multi pack lathe and have never used the sealed stock motor stuff that came with it. It is a fantastic lathe, the only one I will ever need to own. I did buy the adjustable right side for it and this makes it much more convenient to use (you don't have to shim the arm to fit in the ways).
O'D
odpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 04:43 PM   #39
Tech Initiate

hi guys!,
i'm also interested in buying a hudy lathe but can't decide which one to get. I have enough money for the Hudy Tech but i want to know if the Hudy Advance is enough for me.
dalde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 04:50 PM   #40
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

any comments on the fantom lathe?
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 05:24 PM   #41
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The Fantom lathes are a bit pricey but cut great. I have been using one for the last year and could not be happier with it. I have also had a couple Hudy lathes and I would say that there is not much difference in the cut from a Fantom or a Hudy.
dway100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 05:27 PM   #42
TCR
Tech Addict

Default Twister

I have a twister, great lathe

might be willing to sell, but this thing is almost like gold now
TCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 05:52 PM   #43
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default anyone with reedy lathe pics?

I want to see what they look like. Im also wondering if anyone has used a KOSE lathe or the LRP unit thats available overseas?
I have a Hudy advanced comm lathe for sale. Its like brand new and has a diamond bit. I would like to get 140.00 or best offer. Comes with hudy motor and case. I know this isnt the for sale thread, just thought I could save someone some money rather than paying retail. Pictures on request. Thanks Grant
[email protected]
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 06:40 PM   #44
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Great thread! I'm looking into getting my first lathe in the next couple of months and this thread has gave me alot of good info.

I was wondering, what do you guys think of the Hudy Advanced vs Hudy Tech lathes? The price difference is about $40 from Stormer, I know they have some different features but do they REALLY make a difference?

Also, what does the Axial adjustable support do? Its $100 alone, does it help much?

Also in the bearing vs V guides I'm thinking the V guides sound better just cause less maintence and such, but do you get a much cleaner cut with the bearings?

Sorry for the silly questions, I'm a total newbie to comm lathes.
psbarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 07:15 PM   #45
Tech Adept

Default Twister lathe

I have a Twister lathe that I inherited in mint condition. It is very nice, cuts excellent and all, but I don't think it is any special. Probably for old schoolers, it is. A Hudy can cut as good, so I don't know what the hype is all about. Then again, it's just me.

psbarger:
Go for the V blocks as the bearing can get some slop over time. BB and V block cut the same at first until the BB wears then it will cause some vibration.

Adrian:
I didn't know that people still run sealed stock motor cans.
Kenshin is offline   Reply With Quote