XRAY T3

Old 06-15-2010, 01:01 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dane
This weekend I found that shortening the front links gave the car a lot more corner speed. In my mind, it should have reduced the front traction because the car is rolling less.

Could someone please explain why I picked up so much more corner speed? The car is in the upper outer position with 1 mm of shim on the hub.

Thanks,
Dane
I race on carpet mostly here in Dallas and have thought that the shorter links give more steering/ corner speed. When I go back to the stock setup or really close to it, I find that as I adjust to the longer link my car becomes faster. This is with Sorex tires on a med./low bite track.

I think that most people that have ran a xray in the past and on foam still like to put the ackerman extremely far forward and I do believe this to be a mistake. The farther back I have made the servo saver/ackerman adjuster, the faster and smoother it has gotten.

If you do feel like you need more camber gain, you can shorten your width in the front to 1.15 shims and add a small wheel base shim to the axel to create the same thing.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KWT-NITRO
hello,

just a small question, when lookin at spur gears and pinion, what does 48P and 64P mean?? i know its pitch but dont understand what is it!

whats different between them and when to use what ??

cheers

Ali
48P gears has larger teeth than 64P gears. 48P gears however are more durable i.e. chances of the gears stripping is much lower. 64P gears runs quieter and more efficient but more fragile. I have been stripping quite a fair bit of the 64P and so far with the 48P, have been using it since day 1. So its a compromise, improved efficiency vs improved durability.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Abu Salahuddin
48P gears has larger teeth than 64P gears. 48P gears however are more durable i.e. chances of the gears stripping is much lower. 64P gears runs quieter and more efficient but more fragile. I have been stripping quite a fair bit of the 64P and so far with the 48P, have been using it since day 1. So its a compromise, improved efficiency vs improved durability.
thanks for the explaination

gotta try both of them and see how it goes.

thanks again

Ali (Abu Ahmed)
Old 06-15-2010, 02:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by KWT-NITRO
thanks for the explaination

gotta try both of them and see how it goes.

thanks again

Ali (Abu Ahmed)

And the 64P gears will have more gear ratio options that the 48P.

Ashiq
Old 06-15-2010, 05:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

On the topic of spur gears, what is the difference between offset spur gear and spur gear in the manual? All xray 64 spur gear has offset while 48p has both e offset and w/o offset.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Guys,

I have a strange problem with my stock diff. Even after being freshly rebuilt, it gets rather gritty after a single 6 minutes run. Then after sitting for a few minutes in the pits, the grittiness goes away by itself and it is smooth again.

What could be causing this? I thought maybe I was rebuilding it wrong but I had a few experienced guys at my track look at it last saturday and they told me I wasn't doing anything wrong. I had been rebuilding diffs on old Cyclone the same way and never had this problem before.

Has anyone here experienced a similar problem?
Old 06-15-2010, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PrimeAKF11
Guys,

I have a strange problem with my stock diff. Even after being freshly rebuilt, it gets rather gritty after a single 6 minutes run. Then after sitting for a few minutes in the pits, the grittiness goes away by itself and it is smooth again.

What could be causing this? I thought maybe I was rebuilding it wrong but I had a few experienced guys at my track look at it last saturday and they told me I wasn't doing anything wrong. I had been rebuilding diffs on old Cyclone the same way and never had this problem before.

Has anyone here experienced a similar problem?
It will feel better after a while as it has cooled down again Sounds like your diff is loose and the grease is 'spitting' out. Try running the diff i tiny bit tighter
Old 06-15-2010, 08:41 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Yokomo_Ant3
It will feel better after a while as it has cooled down again Sounds like your diff is loose and the grease is 'spitting' out. Try running the diff i tiny bit tighter
I normally tighten my diff just to the point it stops slipping, but I will try running it a bit tighter next weekend. Thanks for the help!

Do you think using thicker grease will help?
Old 06-15-2010, 09:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ronaldo-1234
On the topic of spur gears, what is the difference between offset spur gear and spur gear in the manual? All xray 64 spur gear has offset while 48p has both e offset and w/o offset.
There is no difference in performance with the offset spur gears. It is design to give more clearance so that the lipo battery packs do not rub against the pinion & spur gears.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I normally tighten my diff just to the point it stops slipping, but I will try running it a bit tighter next weekend. Thanks for the help!

What grease are you using ??

mine last months between rebuilds (stock)

i use Assosiated black diff grease it is THE best
Old 06-15-2010, 10:01 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1
What grease are you using ??

mine last months between rebuilds (stock)

i use Assosiated black diff grease it is THE best
I am using white diff grease that came with my old Cyclone. Is the black diff grease same as stealth grease?
Old 06-15-2010, 10:04 AM
Tech Master

I am using white diff grease that came with my old Cyclone. Is the black diff grease same as stealth grease?
i dont know , itis in a clearish tube and black writing on the outside

the grease is clear too
Old 06-15-2010, 05:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I use associated stealth lube for the diff balls and associated black for the thrust.

Depending upon how old your diff is you might need to change your thrust too.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

A thicker grease will definatly help. Try either Associated (Black writing on the tube, NOT red) or schumacher (very hard to get a hold of) Thats for the balls, then a black grease on the thrust.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:09 AM
Tech Elite

You didnt specify if your diff was in the front or the rear, but if you dont have enough droop in the rear and the inside tire lifts off the track during cornering... it will overheat the rear diff and create the problem you mention.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.