R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-30-2010, 12:27 PM   #1426
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 465
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

I'm new to rubber tire racing. My first race was in Cincinatti at Tri-state hobbies for the 3rd leg of the Northeast grand slam. I noticed that my dog bones keep coming apart. I am running the standard ones not the ESC. people tell me that's the nature of the beast for runnig rubber tire with a spool. Is there any tips or tricks to keep this from happening? I have friends that run the Shumacher car and they run a diff in the front but they don't put use diff balls, I guess to keep less stress on the dog bones but at the same time keep it from diffing out. Anyone heard of this or use this?
__________________
Futaba 7PX---Xray T4 '18 ---R1 Wurks---EAMotorsports---Hobbywing
kobiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:33 PM   #1427
Regional Moderator
 
CarbonJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobiwan View Post
I'm new to rubber tire racing. My first race was in Cincinatti at Tri-state hobbies for the 3rd leg of the Northeast grand slam. I noticed that my dog bones keep coming apart. I am running the standard ones not the ESC. people tell me that's the nature of the beast for runnig rubber tire with a spool. Is there any tips or tricks to keep this from happening? I have friends that run the Shumacher car and they run a diff in the front but they don't put use diff balls, I guess to keep less stress on the dog bones but at the same time keep it from diffing out. Anyone heard of this or use this?
Mr. Dayger -

How exactly are they falling apart? Are the pins breaking, or are the setscrews loosening? What seems to help a lot with the ECS driveshafts is to use blue Loctite, wait for it to dry, take the setscrews out, and Loctite again. Then, I use shrink wrap to help hold the pins in in case the setscrew loosens. Maybe this will work on the regular driveshafts as well?
__________________
*** The Gate - Celebrating 8 years at the same location ***
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car

Last edited by CarbonJoe; 01-30-2010 at 01:00 PM.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:10 PM   #1428
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 465
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
Mr. Dayger -

How exactly are they falling apart? Are the pins breaking, or are the setscrews loosening? What seems to help a lot with the ECS driveshafts is to use blue Loctite, wait for it to dry, take the setscrews out, and Loctite again. Then, I use shrink wrap to help hold the pins in in case the setscrew loosens. Maybe this will work on the regular driveshafts as well?
LOL! Whats up Joe? I think the pins are just falling out. I'm using the standard driveshafts, not the ecs. So should I try locktiting them twice then? because I'm using loctite when on the initial build.
__________________
Futaba 7PX---Xray T4 '18 ---R1 Wurks---EAMotorsports---Hobbywing
kobiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:19 PM   #1429
Regional Moderator
 
CarbonJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobiwan View Post
So should I try locktiting them twice then? because I'm using loctite when on the initial build.
Yes. If the T3 pins don't have a flat spot that the setscrews can fit into, you can use a dremel to grind a flat on one side. Just make sure that the flat lines up with the setscrew when you assemble them. The ECS pins do have flats ground on them. I'd also try the shrinkwrap trick (around the outside of the driveshaft) to help hold the pins in if the setscrew loosens (assuming the normal full circumference outer axles).
__________________
*** The Gate - Celebrating 8 years at the same location ***
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:54 PM   #1430
Tech Elite
 
Johnny Wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,419
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro ho View Post
Quick question for you guys.
If i wanna run a diff in the front of the EU version of the T3 what do i need to get?
I just think the diff will be more consistent thats why i`m asking, thanks guys.
You would need the same parts as the rear T3 diff. If your running a really tight tracks and you struggle a lot with power out of the corners or consistancy sometimes the diff route will settle your car down a bit. Of course the spool will be faster but harder to drive, same as a one way could be faster on a flowing track but if you need brakes for heavy traffic, it can be a problem.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:57 PM   #1431
Tech Elite
 
Johnny Wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,419
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
Yes. If the T3 pins don't have a flat spot that the setscrews can fit into, you can use a dremel to grind a flat on one side. Just make sure that the flat lines up with the setscrew when you assemble them. The ECS pins do have flats ground on them. I'd also try the shrinkwrap trick (around the outside of the driveshaft) to help hold the pins in if the setscrew loosens (assuming the normal full circumference outer axles).
I find that the setscrew can put unequal pressure on the pins and with the right moment of shock can snap the pins, I have been running with just the shrink wrap and no setscrews with no problems, just make sure the wrap is in good shape and nice and tight to the sleeve.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:59 PM   #1432
Tech Elite
 
Johnny Wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,419
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobiwan View Post
LOL! Whats up Joe? I think the pins are just falling out. I'm using the standard driveshafts, not the ecs. So should I try locktiting them twice then? because I'm using loctite when on the initial build.
The procedure Joe mentions works very well on the non ecs parts.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:10 AM   #1433
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 465
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
Yes. If the T3 pins don't have a flat spot that the setscrews can fit into, you can use a dremel to grind a flat on one side. Just make sure that the flat lines up with the setscrew when you assemble them. The ECS pins do have flats ground on them. I'd also try the shrinkwrap trick (around the outside of the driveshaft) to help hold the pins in if the setscrew loosens (assuming the normal full circumference outer axles).
Do I make a flat spot just where the set screw sits? or the whole length of the pin?
__________________
Futaba 7PX---Xray T4 '18 ---R1 Wurks---EAMotorsports---Hobbywing
kobiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:25 AM   #1434
mok
Tech Master
 
mok's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,075
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to mok Send a message via Skype™ to mok
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobiwan View Post
Do I make a flat spot just where the set screw sits? or the whole length of the pin?
just where the set screw sits
-Mark
__________________
XRAY T3'2011 / TEKIN RS PRO / LRP X12 / HYPERION SWIFT G3 RACE PACKS / FUTABA S9551 / SPEKTRUM DX3R
www.epracer.com - www.precc.org.au - www.westcoastmodelrallyclub.asn.au - www.onroadrccarclubbunbury.org.au
mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:33 PM   #1435
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: near the gas station
Posts: 365
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

I have to get my car up to 1420g, Whats everyone using for lipo weight trays?
matt rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:36 PM   #1436
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt rem View Post
I have to get my car up to 1420g, Whats everyone using for lipo weight trays?
I use the X-ray weight to balance left/right. Then I attach these to the bottom of the top deck to make up the difference. I screw them to the top deck in the extra hole in the middle.

http://www.maximum-velocity.com/tungstenplates.htm
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:52 PM   #1437
Tech Elite
 
RCFREAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: MEMBER OF THE "MWC" Mimi Wong Clan
Posts: 2,414
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
I use the X-ray weight to balance left/right. Then I attach these to the bottom of the top deck to make up the difference. I screw them to the top deck in the extra hole in the middle.

http://www.maximum-velocity.com/tungstenplates.htm
so your mounting these on the bottom of the top deck? no wonder why you were asking for help, with the car not working properly. Weight distribution is a BIG thing!!
__________________
Arv.
EA MOTORSPORTS// KO PROPO// ORCA// 180 RACEWAY
RCFREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:00 PM   #1438
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFREAK View Post
so your mounting these on the bottom of the top deck? no wonder why you were asking for help, with the car not working properly. Weight distribution is a BIG thing!!
huh?? what are you talking about? I've never asked about my car not working properly. My car is dialed.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:02 PM   #1439
Tech Elite
 
RCFREAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: MEMBER OF THE "MWC" Mimi Wong Clan
Posts: 2,414
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

werent you askin for help and setup sheets.. after the NEGS race, sayin something about traction rolling?
__________________
Arv.
EA MOTORSPORTS// KO PROPO// ORCA// 180 RACEWAY
RCFREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:06 PM   #1440
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFREAK View Post
werent you askin for help and setup sheets.. after the NEGS race, sayin something about traction rolling?
no. I asked about setup sheets so I could compare but I never traction rolled or asked for help. Must have been someone else. My car handles very well.

Maybe you got confused by me saying Hunter should figure out his own traction roll problem without others helping him?
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Xray T2'008 Drew_Cat Electric On-Road 1941 01-25-2016 12:36 PM
Xray T2'007 Joep Electric On-Road 4185 07-07-2014 09:22 AM
XRay T3 (spy pics) syndr0me Electric On-Road 33 07-13-2010 04:43 PM
where to get xray?? 2qwik Northwest Racers 20 10-10-2009 03:02 AM
New Xray T3!!! Jammin'Trey Electric On-Road 39 10-09-2009 12:40 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:06 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net