R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-29-2009, 06:33 AM   #856
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuruption View Post
This evening I was also a victim of the faulty T3 chassis (yes, I'm calling it faulty). Side swiped the wall (not very hard)... left-side front lower suspension holder flew off.... found it with the mounting screw still intact (loc-tite). The rip through the chassic caused the carbon fiber to fray with a 1/2" gash on the top side of the chassis plate.

I guess Xray has basically said this isn't their problem? That's too bad, so much for Xray "quality". I would expect 10 things to break BEFORE splitting the chassis on such a crash. Unfortunately, I do not think I'm going to have money to spend $100 on a chassis every race weekend.

Here are the pics.

Attachment 525321
Attachment 525322
Attachment 525323

Here we go again guys.
I`m just really disappointed that supposedly x-ray is gonna make us buy the fix, instead of giving the people that was affected by this screw up. My confidence in x-ray is really shaken up by this matter.
Don`t blame the car, when you know you can`t drive.
Sponsor, me , myself and I.
nitro ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:40 AM   #857
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuruption View Post
This evening I was also a victim of the faulty T3 chassis (yes, I'm calling it faulty). Side swiped the wall (not very hard)... left-side front lower suspension holder flew off.... found it with the mounting screw still intact (loc-tite). The rip through the chassic caused the carbon fiber to fray with a 1/2" gash on the top side of the chassis plate.

I guess Xray has basically said this isn't their problem? That's too bad, so much for Xray "quality". I would expect 10 things to break BEFORE splitting the chassis on such a crash. Unfortunately, I do not think I'm going to have money to spend $100 on a chassis every race weekend.

Here are the pics.

Attachment 525321
Attachment 525322
Attachment 525323
Sorry to hear about your chassis

I will say though. Many times you aren't necessarily aware of the crash that causes major damage. It could have been a very hard crash that caused the damage and the second lighter hit that finally knocked it out of place and made it noticeable. I'm sure you will say you had no hard hits (we all think we are better than we really are). I just can't believe that something like this is a result of a light hit. Either way, it needs to be addressed.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:49 AM   #858
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kuruption

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Sorry to hear about your chassis

I will say though. Many times you aren't necessarily aware of the crash that causes major damage. It could have been a very hard crash that caused the damage and the second lighter hit that finally knocked it out of place and made it noticeable. I'm sure you will say you had no hard hits (we all think we are better than we really are). I just can't believe that something like this is a result of a light hit. Either way, it needs to be addressed.
I'll be the first to say I do have hard hits. You may be right that there was another impact that caused the failure, and this lighter one just finished it off.

Either way, like I said, I would prefer 10 things break before a $100 chassis.... like an A-arm?

This may not necessarily be the fault of the design, but maybe of some poor quality carbon fiber in a batch that Xray received to mill the chassis. It may also explain why, in the video, Martin was unable to cause the failure with the hammer because the carbon fiber batch used for that chassis had non-faulty carbon fiber.
kuruption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:20 AM   #859
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Ray - sorry to hear about your chassis. did u glue the counter sink holes? what type of bumper are you running?
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:22 AM   #860
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Is me again...my another club mate had the same problem...I decide not to run my T3 until I get the 1 piece arm mounting....
Attached Thumbnails
XRAY T3-29112009144.jpg   XRAY T3-29112009145.jpg  

1/10 On-road Touring: Schumacher MI3 + Tekin RS Pro + Orca RX-1 11.5t BL Motor
1/10 On-road Touring: Xray T3 2011 + Tekin RS Pro + Tekin Redline 10.5t BL Motor
mjc168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:29 AM   #861
Tech Master

Grats to rcknight for ruining an important rctech thread. Keep up the good work.
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:37 AM   #862
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc168 View Post
Is me again...my another club mate had the same problem...I decide not to run my T3 until I get the 1 piece arm mounting....
Tell you club mate to dust his car every once in a while!
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:15 AM   #863
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamge View Post
Grats to rcknight for ruining an important rctech thread. Keep up the good work.

And how did he ruin an important rc tech thread?
What are you smoking a spliff or something, the guy is just putting to our attention the problems ( big ) the T3 has, i would prefer to hear the problems from someone like him or otherwise someone else before i buy the car. That way i can make an important decision if to buy the car or not in its current state. Sorry guys if i`m rambling, but that`s what makes the internet so great. You can find any in information, pertaining to whatever subject you`re looking for. Anyway, no matter what you guys say about the guys that are so called trolling the T3 thread ( saying bad things about the X-ray T3 ) infact they`re doing me and everyone else on this thread a favour, by bringing to our attention the problems the T3 got, Now tell me this, would you still buy the T3 if you knew it had this problem upfront, i won`t.
Don`t blame the car, when you know you can`t drive.
Sponsor, me , myself and I.
nitro ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:38 AM   #864
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Tell you club mate to dust his car every once in a while!
there are full of dust at our local track...

1/10 On-road Touring: Schumacher MI3 + Tekin RS Pro + Orca RX-1 11.5t BL Motor
1/10 On-road Touring: Xray T3 2011 + Tekin RS Pro + Tekin Redline 10.5t BL Motor

Last edited by mjc168; 11-29-2009 at 09:50 AM.
mjc168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:48 AM   #865
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
So the bar is just sitting in there? I mean it is not screwed in the mounts?

I think this is a real defect. The design may indeed provide the chassis flex required to achieve traction goals but this is obviously not the way to go about it as the tradeoff in chassis durability is too big. If this was a real car it would be recalled. I commend the initiative of the distributors that have undertook to replace the part at their own expense, but Xray is ultimately responsible. We're not all racing on perfect tracks and in some countries this kind of problem is rightfully considered a manufacturing fault hence the item should be replaced at manufacturer's cost, no discussion. I am pretty sure under European laws this would be the case. Someone will probably test this at some point. Too bad Xray doesn't see it that way. I think a move towards re-designing the part and replacing it at no cost to the people who already bought the car would go a long way towards re-establishing Xray street cred. Broken chassies should be replaced too (and in Australia, they would have to do it or refund the money).

There are other ways to achieve what Xray claims to be the added flex. If they really need the suspension holder to be small and affixed with just one screw, they can build in the car a failure point that will protect the chassis in a crash, say make the suspension arm give in first. This method is very well known in the engineering world. Just look at modern cars that have crumple zones. Now nobody wants to test those in real life, but the manufacturer is obliged to protect you in case you (unwillingly) do. This is the main reason why I think Xray have dug themselves in by insisiting they have done everything right and you need to compromise handling if you want durability. Real progress comes when you don't need to have tradeoffs like that.
I just ran with vic last night with his Rod in there and he had the most traction out of any one there. Xray cars are built to race not to hit walls extremely hard. But if you do break something you do not blame it on the company that product. Blame yourself .
TRXRACER99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:59 AM   #866
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRXRACER99 View Post
I just ran with vic last night with his Rod in there and he had the most traction out of any one there. Xray cars are built to race not to hit walls extremely hard. But if you do break something you do not blame it on the company that product. Blame yourself .
There has to be a certain level of quality on a product, especially with a $500 price tag. Yes, it's technically my fault because I hit the wall and it broke, however the product should be designed for this level of impact... afterall, it is expected that this will happen to everyone at some point whether it's due to the driver of the car or another driver's bad driving.

My problem is this... of all the things that could have broke, it was the chassis. I would be far less upset if I broke an arm, or bent a hinge pin, or even caused a shock to explode. But, this was a $100 chassis... the single most expensive item in the kit. The chassis should be the last thing to break.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:03 AM   #867
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
Ray - sorry to hear about your chassis. did u glue the counter sink holes? what type of bumper are you running?
All of the counter sunk holes in the front of the car are CA'd... I ran out of CA before I finished. I am using the stock bumper that came with the kit (which does not extend wide enough to cover the tire). I am not sure it mattered, though... It appears to have happened when I hit on the side, not from the front.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:51 AM   #868
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRXRACER99 View Post

Depends what you break. If you have a large number of people break a chassis then I think there's something wrong with the car. The more so since no other car on the market today seems to have this problem. This becomes an impromptu standard a manufacturer is compared against and if it doesn't measure up then the end user will vote with the credit card (just like me and others). A manufacturer can not write off this number of incidents as "user's fault". I am looking forward to buy a car but if Xray doesn't come down to earth soon and take appropiate measures, then they'll lose my money. This is the competition in a free market talking.

People defending Xray aggressively on the other hand have to understand they're not doing anyone a service and they're not going to intimidate anyone into buying something of lesser quality no matter how much they insult and name call. If you like it the way it is, fair enough, buy it and enjoy it. That's your choice. But leave the others alone. They only ask for a resolution to a problem and it is their right to do so.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:03 AM   #869
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

when you guys say it about 50 times instead of letting other things come up like set ups. Why dont you contact Xray directly there not looking on this forum there based in Europe there not looking at a mostly US forum. Its just not cool to be stating a problem that has bin addressed since the beginning. If you dont like it sell your car or dont buy one.
TRXRACER99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:27 AM   #870
Tech Adept

Xray came out with a fix, get it and put it on and be done with it.
http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/new...d3c87e2f5e8b8a

Also read that Xray will give the updated part to the people who already bought their kits for free.
The part will be included in the next batch of kits as an option to the regular standoffs.
What more do you want. As far as I'm concerned, Xray acted quickly to correct this problem and should be commended for it.
Twin-Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote