R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-28-2009, 12:02 AM   #841
Shop Owner

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to nnick Send a message via MSN to nnick Send a message via Yahoo to nnick Send a message via Skype™ to nnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherKee View Post
According to the UK Distributor the optional 1 piece front is free now and will be included in future kits? Has anyone heard from RCAmerica about doing the same for the US customers?

From the UK Xray Distributor Site.

This new part will be included as option in all future T3 kits & provides stronger front end for indoor tracks with unforgiving track markers. Please note this cars was designed around the small seperate suspension mounts & this #302047 one piece will stiffen the front end & reducing steering.

RC DISCO WILL PROVIDE FREE OF CHARGE (AT ITS COST) THIS PART TO ANY UK T3 OWNERS WHO FEEL THEY NEED THIS EXTRA STRENGTH, please email direct to [email protected]

UPDATE XRAY ANNOUNCED THAT THEY SHIP FOR FREE TO T3 OWNERS
THANKS XRAY SUPER FAST & SUPER FAIR AS ALWAYS
It will be included as option not in the kit.

Also it's RCDISCO who will provide it for free to their customers, not MIRAGE the XRAY distributor for UK nor XRAY it self

The #1 source for all your electric needs www.rcring.eu

Enjoy RCing....
R/C Tech #82
IRT #123

Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong

Team Xray T4'17, Team Xray X10'18, TOP Racing Rebel
nnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:20 AM   #842
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default I want Xray to make a 416X.

it's exactly what I envisioned, but I would rather have Xray quality.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:46 AM   #843
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I will receive the 1 piece arm mounting FOC from Malaysia Xray distributor too...

1/10 On-road Touring: Schumacher MI3 + Tekin RS Pro + Orca RX-1 11.5t BL Motor
1/10 On-road Touring: Xray T3 2011 + Tekin RS Pro + Tekin Redline 10.5t BL Motor
mjc168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:30 AM   #844
Tech Master

@nick
Mirage is not Uk distributor anymore
It's RCDisco
yokemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:06 PM   #845
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Has anyone had a chance to try the US foam version of the T3 yet? I have mine almost built and won't be able to run it until next Sunday. I'm no expert by no means, and I don't mean to count my chickens before they hatch, but it seems like the changes they made might give the Foam car too much traction.
From what I understand not too many people care about foam tire racing in europe, so when Martin Hudy designed the T3 I'm wondering did he test both versions of the car or just the rubber tire version? Well, I guess i'll find out, the next high bite race i'll be going to will be at Mimi's at the 2nd race of the Northeast Grandslam series. I'll post my findings.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:24 PM   #846
Tech Elite

Default Well what I don't...

understand is why they came up with these new toe blocks, which have been shown to be weaker, for added chassis flex then they went and added two stand offs to the upper deck??? I just don't understand, so why add more flex when most race events are looking to dial out traction?
Old 11-28-2009, 09:13 PM   #847
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCknight View Post
understand is why they came up with these new toe blocks, which have been shown to be weaker, for added chassis flex then they went and added two stand offs to the upper deck??? I just don't understand, so why add more flex when most race events are looking to dial out traction?
I'm confused why your tolling on the board. The new car is solid. Every design has it's give and take. I like the T3 so much I'll hopefully be selling my T2'009 and picking up a second T3.
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:38 PM   #848
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
This is why you're not an rc chassis designer Something about the design is adding either just right amount of flex, or the right amount in the right place that they are not along in going that route.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:18 PM   #849
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kuruption

This evening I was also a victim of the faulty T3 chassis (yes, I'm calling it faulty). Side swiped the wall (not very hard)... left-side front lower suspension holder flew off.... found it with the mounting screw still intact (loc-tite). The rip through the chassic caused the carbon fiber to fray with a 1/2" gash on the top side of the chassis plate.

I guess Xray has basically said this isn't their problem? That's too bad, so much for Xray "quality". I would expect 10 things to break BEFORE splitting the chassis on such a crash. Unfortunately, I do not think I'm going to have money to spend $100 on a chassis every race weekend.

Here are the pics.

XRAY T3-dsc_0750.jpg
XRAY T3-dsc_0758.jpg
XRAY T3-dsc_0761.jpg

Last edited by kuruption; 11-28-2009 at 11:01 PM.
kuruption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:50 PM   #850
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i ran the t3 for the past few days with no problems at all. this is the best car i have had in a few years.

i made a brace that i will take pictures tommarow but basicly i took a ks steel rod 1/8th dimater or 3.18mm cut it to 35mm then chucked it in a dermel and filed down the ends to 3mm. this will keep the bar centered in the chassis, and not up agaist the arm mounts. there is little to no play side to side and nothing need to hold the bar in place.

this car carrys the most corner speed of all the cars i have had.
i love this car. keep up that good work xray and martin.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:45 AM   #851
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLMW VQ View Post
i ran the t3 for the past few days with no problems at all. this is the best car i have had in a few years.

i made a brace that i will take pictures tommarow but basicly i took a ks steel rod 1/8th dimater or 3.18mm cut it to 35mm then chucked it in a dermel and filed down the ends to 3mm. this will keep the bar centered in the chassis, and not up agaist the arm mounts. there is little to no play side to side and nothing need to hold the bar in place.

this car carrys the most corner speed of all the cars i have had.
i love this car. keep up that good work xray and martin.
So the bar is just sitting in there? I mean it is not screwed in the mounts?

I think this is a real defect. The design may indeed provide the chassis flex required to achieve traction goals but this is obviously not the way to go about it as the tradeoff in chassis durability is too big. If this was a real car it would be recalled. I commend the initiative of the distributors that have undertook to replace the part at their own expense, but Xray is ultimately responsible. We're not all racing on perfect tracks and in some countries this kind of problem is rightfully considered a manufacturing fault hence the item should be replaced at manufacturer's cost, no discussion. I am pretty sure under European laws this would be the case. Someone will probably test this at some point. Too bad Xray doesn't see it that way. I think a move towards re-designing the part and replacing it at no cost to the people who already bought the car would go a long way towards re-establishing Xray street cred. Broken chassies should be replaced too (and in Australia, they would have to do it or refund the money).

There are other ways to achieve what Xray claims to be the added flex. If they really need the suspension holder to be small and affixed with just one screw, they can build in the car a failure point that will protect the chassis in a crash, say make the suspension arm give in first. This method is very well known in the engineering world. Just look at modern cars that have crumple zones. Now nobody wants to test those in real life, but the manufacturer is obliged to protect you in case you (unwillingly) do. This is the main reason why I think Xray have dug themselves in by insisiting they have done everything right and you need to compromise handling if you want durability. Real progress comes when you don't need to have tradeoffs like that.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.

Last edited by niznai; 11-29-2009 at 05:44 AM.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:20 AM   #852
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to XxAmpEnergy88xX

so is this problem with the chassis flex only on the rubber tire or foam or with both
Old 11-29-2009, 01:43 AM   #853
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Why do you even care??? You don't own the car so it's of no consequence to you to begin with. Between you and "Nick Priest" I don't know who's worse. Get over it and move on! Geez!
Fred Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:53 AM   #854
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hubbard View Post
Why do you even care??? You don't own the car so it's of no consequence to you to begin with. Between you and "Nick Priest" I don't know who's worse. Get over it and move on! Geez!
I don't own one either but I do care how Xray deals with the problem. I won't pick on Xray quality because they have established themselves as the industry standard IMO, but the majority of these kits are not sold to National A-main drivers. We have two racers with them locally, and only one of them has actually built the kit. (The other is waiting for the fix before building it) Yesterday he made the A for the first time and looked very good on the track. His T3 replaced a '007. His biggest problem yesterday was trying to take away some steering, so this new brace will probably work very well for him, as well as give him a little more confidence to pull the trigger. I took a good look at the car and I really like the design. Maybe, in this case, it's not good to have those "unbreakable" Hudy Spring Plastic arms. Keep up the good work Martin.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:03 AM   #855
Tech Elite

Default Well as soon as they can win....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
This is why you're not an rc chassis designer Something about the design is adding either just right amount of flex, or the right amount in the right place that they are not along in going that route.
a major title then I'll keep talking design. I like to discuss chassis design as I find it interesting. Why or why not companies do what they do. Funny thing is half of what I say comes to be what is standard in design. Go back to the old HPI forum archives and see. I was pushing for what is the current design back when the RS4 Pro came out, or how about this forum when I mentioned flipping the belts for Lipos. This feature just finally came to the T3. lol I may not design cars, but most of these design features are common sense. You don't need a engineering degree, a bigger than life ego, and your picture plastered all over a box to figure it out. Funny how most of our suspicions were right just looking at the pictres.