R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-04-2010, 10:49 PM   #1846
Tech Elite
 
Yokomo_Ant3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,405
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hubbard View Post
Actually they both weigh the same. I just weighed them both last week but for the life of me the actual number escapes me at the moment!
Oh ok...i knew it was close. I think there was 1g difference when i weighed them. But still, theres some serious meat on the plastic ones
__________________
Antoni Caretti

Team Yokomo - Racing Performer - Sweep Racing
Yokomo_Ant3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:58 PM   #1847
Tech Elite
 
Fred Hubbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Inglewood, CA
Posts: 2,719
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokomo_Ant3 View Post
Oh ok...i knew it was close. I think there was 1g difference when i weighed them. But still, theres some serious meat on the plastic ones
I agree and it shocked me with all the material that they still weighed the same because I was very concerned about going to the Aluminum drives and loosing steering.
__________________
Goodwine Racing - RC America - XRAY - HUDY - Sanwa - Motiv - GravityRC - BN Racing
Fred Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:26 AM   #1848
Tech Elite
 
rx7ttlm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,521
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
its hard to make the diffs last with full on modified power. i know that Paul L. rebuilds diffs every four runs. additionally, he replaces the thrust bearings about 7 times more frequently than the rings and balls. i've been mostly running 13.5T indoors - which has some wear on thrusts as compared to 17.5T. i'd just suggest you get a ton of thrust bearings - try different brands - you might have more luck w/ other types. i've been using some from mcmaster with good success.
And they are half the price
__________________
|Team Xray | RC America |MAX Engines | Hudy |Jaco | KO PROPO |"From Slovakia with Love" T3 | Team Timezone |

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:17 PM   #1849
Tech Elite
 
BlackedOutREVO's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 3,791
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokomo_Ant3 View Post
The plastic spool outdrives are awesome. They last quite a while. if you get worried, put a tiny bit of black grease on the pins. Most prefer tham over the aluminium ones. Besides there not black The plastic ones are heavier than the aluminium ones with blades.
They feel like there good strong plastic so I wouldnt doubt there the same weight as the alu ones. The main reason I dont want to go to the alu ones is because I hate diff blades (although the xray ones have been really good so far) But id rather replace out drives every now and then, instead of blades.

Im really loving this car so far, the tiniest set up changes make such a big difference on the track, the shocks are different but once there built right they work pretty good
__________________
R1 Wurks/Awesomatix USA/Roche USA/Protoform/Solaris/Mo Speed/Speedworld Raceway
BlackedOutREVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:40 PM   #1850
Tech Elite
 
Fred Hubbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Inglewood, CA
Posts: 2,719
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO View Post
They feel like there good strong plastic so I wouldnt doubt there the same weight as the alu ones. The main reason I dont want to go to the alu ones is because I hate diff blades (although the xray ones have been really good so far) But id rather replace out drives every now and then, instead of blades.

Im really loving this car so far, the tiniest set up changes make such a big difference on the track, the shocks are different but once there built right they work pretty good
+1 on changes. Regarding the composite vs aluminum out drives, before I knew they both weighed the same I ran the composites but I soon discovered 2 issues. 1) Even with using lube the pins still wear into the drive and thus cause additional play between the pin and the drive. 2) There was a mini parked at the end of a high speed section of a layout we ran a few weeks ago and I had the misfortune of rear ending it square. My car still appeared to be and drove okay during the remainder of that session but during the first qual after 1 hotlap and 1.5 laps during the race without hitting anything my car started to behave as if there was an issue and so I had to pull it off. After the race and back in my pit I discovered that the entire composite drive had broken off! So I've since gone to the aluminum drives.
__________________
Goodwine Racing - RC America - XRAY - HUDY - Sanwa - Motiv - GravityRC - BN Racing
Fred Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:05 PM   #1851
Tech Master
 
Chris Adams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dallas,Texas
Posts: 1,003
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO View Post
Thanks guys

Chris, its just weird in the picture. I was looking at that thinking the same thing, and went and double checked my car and its not there lol. It was dark in my house and I had to bump the brightness up, so I think thats what made it do that

Out of curiosity how many of you guys run the stock plastic out drives? Mine seem fine so far with a 4.5. But I havent ran it a ton so far
That is really strange that its not there. Looks like spring steel coating all over the c hub and arm.
__________________
TEXASEOS.net, RcAmerica, Xray, Hudy, Protoform, Orca, Avid, 2mm Designs, Ulti Tires America

Texas EOS 2018!
Chris Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:08 PM   #1852
Tech Master
 
Owen RaCing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mountain Valley
Posts: 1,940
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO View Post
Well I joined the dark side...

This car scared me a number of times down the straight. The sound that beast makes me 'ing. Sitting next to the sweeper, I could hear it over nitros. BEAST. Keep up the good work.
__________________
powered by anti-anxieties, sarcasm and chipotle
Owen RaCing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #1853
Tech Fanatic
 
jammincrtjames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: GA
Posts: 969
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
its hard to make the diffs last with full on modified power. i know that Paul L. rebuilds diffs every four runs. additionally, he replaces the thrust bearings about 7 times more frequently than the rings and balls. i've been mostly running 13.5T indoors - which has some wear on thrusts as compared to 17.5T. i'd just suggest you get a ton of thrust bearings - try different brands - you might have more luck w/ other types. i've been using some from mcmaster with good success.
you got a part number for Mcmaster?
__________________
NEXUS RACING www.nexusracing.com | FANTOM RACING www.fantomracing.com
ORCA www.orcarc.com | TURTLE TRAX / www.turtletraxraceway.com
--------------------------------------------------
"If you're not first...you're last!"
jammincrtjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:08 PM   #1854
Tech Elite
 
BlackedOutREVO's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 3,791
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hubbard View Post
+1 on changes. Regarding the composite vs aluminum out drives, before I knew they both weighed the same I ran the composites but I soon discovered 2 issues. 1) Even with using lube the pins still wear into the drive and thus cause additional play between the pin and the drive. 2) There was a mini parked at the end of a high speed section of a layout we ran a few weeks ago and I had the misfortune of rear ending it square. My car still appeared to be and drove okay during the remainder of that session but during the first qual after 1 hotlap and 1.5 laps during the race without hitting anything my car started to behave as if there was an issue and so I had to pull it off. After the race and back in my pit I discovered that the entire composite drive had broken off! So I've since gone to the aluminum drives.
Yeah I figured the cvd pins would eventually work a groove into the out drives, just depends how long it takes to get to the point of the car driving weird because of that slot. After a hard hit id expect the outdrives to break, id rather break the out drives then bend cvd's, or have a diff blade break and then you notch your expensive alu out drives and have to get new ones. So I duno I guess you can argue both ways on what outdrives are better really. I do want to try a set though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Adams View Post
That is really strange that its not there. Looks like spring steel coating all over the c hub and arm.
Yeah lol when I brightened up the pic it did some weird stuff. But its not there at all, and I havent cleaned it up since the pics. So I duno what happened there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen RaCing View Post
This car scared me a number of times down the straight. The sound that beast makes me 'ing. Sitting next to the sweeper, I could hear it over nitros. BEAST. Keep up the good work.
Haha yeah that motor sounds sick! Its old and works great. I do want to get a octa wind lrp still though. Or maybe a newer orion
__________________
R1 Wurks/Awesomatix USA/Roche USA/Protoform/Solaris/Mo Speed/Speedworld Raceway
BlackedOutREVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #1855
Tech Master
 
Danny-b23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Posts: 1,335
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO View Post
Haha yeah that motor sounds sick! Its old and works great. I do want to get a octa wind lrp still though. Or maybe a newer orion
Is it one of the GM Delta wind motors?
__________________
RC America|XRAY|ORCA|Motiv|EA Motorsports
Danny Buck
WCICS Rep - Round 1, Saskatoon, SK
Danny-b23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:30 PM   #1856
Tech Elite
 
BlackedOutREVO's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 3,791
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny-b23 View Post
Is it one of the GM Delta wind motors?
Nah its one of the older orion motors with the fan inside
__________________
R1 Wurks/Awesomatix USA/Roche USA/Protoform/Solaris/Mo Speed/Speedworld Raceway
BlackedOutREVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:39 PM   #1857
Tech Champion
 
hanulec's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: @ the post office
Posts: 8,559
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammincrtjames View Post
you got a part number for Mcmaster?
Part Number: 7806K53 $9.86 Each
__________________
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:00 PM   #1858
Tech Elite
 
rx7ttlm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,521
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Brandon- OLD?! That thing was almost brand new when you got it a month ago lol
__________________
|Team Xray | RC America |MAX Engines | Hudy |Jaco | KO PROPO |"From Slovakia with Love" T3 | Team Timezone |

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:10 PM   #1859
Tech Elite
 
BlackedOutREVO's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 3,791
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7ttlm View Post
Brandon- OLD?! That thing was almost brand new when you got it a month ago lol
They havent made these motors with fans for a few years now LOL. Theres been 3 new versions since it It was almost brand new from you, but you know what I mean
__________________
R1 Wurks/Awesomatix USA/Roche USA/Protoform/Solaris/Mo Speed/Speedworld Raceway
BlackedOutREVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:32 PM   #1860
Tech Elite
 
rx7ttlm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,521
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO View Post
They havent made these motors with fans for a few years now LOL. Theres been 3 new versions since it It was almost brand new from you, but you know what I mean
Its an oldie but a goodie, and I finally looked at my 2010 Orions and they don't have fans.
__________________
|Team Xray | RC America |MAX Engines | Hudy |Jaco | KO PROPO |"From Slovakia with Love" T3 | Team Timezone |

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Xray T2'008 Drew_Cat Electric On-Road 1941 01-25-2016 12:36 PM
Xray T2'007 Joep Electric On-Road 4185 07-07-2014 09:22 AM
XRay T3 (spy pics) syndr0me Electric On-Road 33 07-13-2010 04:43 PM
where to get xray?? 2qwik Northwest Racers 20 10-10-2009 03:02 AM
New Xray T3!!! Jammin'Trey Electric On-Road 39 10-09-2009 12:40 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:18 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net