R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   XRAY T3 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/334295-xray-t3.html)

part-time racer 10-12-2009 02:57 AM

I have actually seen this car in action and I can say its the real deal.

The car seems to carry more initial corner speed then the 009 and the modifications made for cell placement real help for balance refinements. Of course, the guy doing the driving yesterday is a bit of a super star (the wouldn't have the car otherwise) and I'm sure he could make an FK04 look good against the lattest gear but as I always say, If it looks good, it normally is.

I for one will be placing an order with my LHS later today.

punkboy 10-12-2009 05:33 AM

I find it interesting that people complain about the battery being on one side and the electronics on the other when my rubber car has just as much weight bolted on to the left side as it does inserts under the battery. Maybe I got lucky with the equipment I use, but I really don't see where a LiPo is that light in comparison to the other electronics.

ttso 10-12-2009 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie (Post 6458847)

Originally Posted by syndr0me (Post 6458807)
Is that leg on the motor mount new for the T3?

Yes.

I think TRF416 is the first one comeout with a centerlined leg on front of motor mount...:sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:

Anyway, I'm glad I fire-sold my T2'008.5 about 3mons ago and move to buggy. I'm NOT doing another Xray unless they finally realize buggy is bigger market and comeout a true innovated X-buggy...:ha::ha:

MikeXray 10-12-2009 05:45 AM

a T3 is great for everyone looking to buy a 2nd hand 009. :)

TimPotter 10-12-2009 06:40 AM

IMHO, the Suspension mounts look like they may be a good place for tweek or bends. The HB/Tamiya mounts have a much more substantial "bridge" between the two sides, and they bend when hit hard enough. The inner front appears to have one screw, I would be concerned with the durability of that for average drivers. The Tamiya one piece mounts have two screws...

I am no engineer, so I am probably incorrect, but just kind of stood out to me.

billjacobs 10-12-2009 06:55 AM

comical

All the talk about being the same as the 009, etc. If this car is .1 faster per lap, everyone will buy it. If you take the motor being moved inward by a few mm, and the batteries being moved outward a couple of mm, you can balance the car at a lighter weight, and have more weight inward, which will make the car a little more balanced and a tick faster.

My only suggestion is to have a lipo only chassis without the cutouts (hop-up?)

The only way to significantly change the design of the car is go the everything down the middle route (jrxs-type r) but that would mean very short arms. And the only way to get longer arms with everything down the middle is to run 3 belts and 2 layshafts. So the question to all the negative commentators is: do you want a better conventional layout, or a radically new layout that might bomb?

yokemad 10-12-2009 07:37 AM

+1
mi4 clamp idea for the motor mount is really good ;)

HarryN 10-12-2009 07:45 AM

I look forward to the next Xray. Paul L is a force to be reckoned with.

Plus Bill Jacobs told me to. :D

niznai 10-12-2009 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by billjacobs (Post 6462315)
[...]

The only way to significantly change the design of the car is go the everything down the middle route (jrxs-type r) but that would mean very short arms.
[...]

Not necessarily. I was looking forward to see if Losi would further develop their design which I like very much even if I don't have the car. You can have longer arms with their design, but they need to articulate inside the bulkheads. The driveshafts however will stay short unless some clever design of the diff will allow the driveshaft to couple with the outdrive deep inside the outdrive.

billjacobs 10-12-2009 12:53 PM

new designs

The corally 1/12 mini tc had the arms through the bulkhead (I think.) The problem is you are adding more complexity and parts without having to. As for the diffs on the losi, the reason they are so wide is to run 2 belts instead of 3. You could try to invent something, but again, you are adding more parts and complexity without having to. The xray basic design is the national and world champion in every class.

Another thing, I've always thought that the biggest problem with the everything down the middle design is you don't get very much roll and the car self corrects very quickly. This is great on carpet, not so great on lower traction surfaces.

Anyway, to each their own. I've always liked the xray quality and the fact that you don't have to sand or modify anything and the car goes together perfectly. Plus the cars are very durable. I am sure the new one won't be any different.

V_28 10-12-2009 04:42 PM

I think its great that Xray are developing the T3, even if the differences are minimal, as long as it is positive then why not? I own a 009 and I don't feel 'jipped' by Xray with them releasing a new car for the next year. I bought the 009 knowing full well they update every year and for the people who don't like it or complain about a new model each year - you don't have to buy it if you don't want to.

Can't wait to see the final production pics.

Jackster 10-12-2009 05:02 PM

It's not. It's a little lighter in comparison to the older style batteries. :nod:

Originally Posted by punkboy (Post 6462034)
I really don't see where a LiPo is that light in comparison to the other electronics.

King of B Main 10-12-2009 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by V_28 (Post 6464566)
I think its great that Xray are developing the T3, even if the differences are minimal, as long as it is positive then why not? I own a 009 and I don't feel 'jipped' by Xray with them releasing a new car for the next year. I bought the 009 knowing full well they update every year and for the people who don't like it or complain about a new model each year - you don't have to buy it if you don't want to.

+1000

turd ferguson 10-12-2009 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by V_28 (Post 6464566)

i concur

gameover 10-12-2009 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by billjacobs (Post 6462315)
All the talk about being the same as the 009, etc. If this car is .1 faster per lap, everyone will buy it. If you take the motor being moved inward by a few mm, and the batteries being moved outward a couple of mm, you can balance the car at a lighter weight, and have more weight inward, which will make the car a little more balanced and a tick faster.

My only suggestion is to have a lipo only chassis without the cutouts (hop-up?)

The only way to significantly change the design of the car is go the everything down the middle route (jrxs-type r) but that would mean very short arms. And the only way to get longer arms with everything down the middle is to run 3 belts and 2 layshafts. So the question to all the negative commentators is: do you want a better conventional layout, or a radically new layout that might bomb?

radically new layout? ummm like the Xray NT1? i'd say they know a thing or two about it. Maybe it's just not as good as current design for EP? Who knows?

I agree with you, if it is faster i will buy it, only thing is i have to buy it to find out :) oh well thats what credit cards are for...