Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya TA-05 Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 10:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Tamiya TA-05 Help

Hi guys im new to RC Racing and i just got my Tamyia TA-05.
I have had it for about 2 weeks now.

I need to ask some questions.

What ways can i tune it up to make it go faster.
What websites are they best to get Hop Ups.

I have to have a stock motor i cannot upgrade.
Since i am riding in the class "Clubstock"

Also what gears should i use to have more speed on short straights and less speed on long straights.

Regards Foxx.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The best website for hop ups is rcmart.com. a huge selection! but don't be tempted by alloy, it's heavy and slows you down, and when you crash it bends. If you want to make it lighter (and therefore faster) get the 3racing graphite chassis.

When you say more speed on short straights and less on long ones, I assume you mean faster acceleration? If so, ask the other racers what ratio they are using, and use the chart below to work out which pinion gear you need (the stock spur is 70t).

Hope this helps
Joe
Old 05-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Yep tx alot Joe.

Can i buy aluminum hop ups except the chassis?
Old 05-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

When you say "stock" motors, are talking plain old "Silver Can" 540, or are you allowed to use any 27 turn "stock" racing motor?

There is a huge difference in power and speed between the two. If you can use any 27T race motor, I would suggest getting a Trinity CO27 Pro. They have amazing power. I used one for an entire season and a half or racing with the occasional comm cut & rebrush.

Gearing tips:
- smaller pinion = more torque (punch), less top speed, less heat
- larger pinion = less torque (punch), more top speed, more heat

You need a larger pinion for longer straights and smaller pinion for shorter straights. The easiest way set gearing is to make it so your motor is topped out just at the end of the longest straight.

Another factor is temperature. If motor is getting too hot, you need to switch to a smaller pinion. You don't really want to get the motor above 135*F. Borrow a temp gun from someone to check your motor temp just after a race. It should be between 120* & 135* inside the can.

As far as hop-ups, the best ones are the carbon & alloy steering bridge & bell cranks, and all the other parts found on the TA05-R. Don't bother with the alloy bulkheads and light-weight motor mount or any alloy suspension bits. Don't bother with the IFS stuff either. It's only meant to run the low profile bodies. Any Protoform 190mm touring car body will handle much better anyways...
Old 05-01-2009, 11:05 AM
Tech Initiate

Ok

The body i have now is a PROTOForm Mazda 6 speed body.
And yes i have to keep the plain old "Silver Can" 540.
Its my birthday coming up on monday and i got about $190 i can spend so im deciding what to buy.

Do you think i should get the 3racing graphite Chassis Conversion?
Old 05-01-2009, 11:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Also, invest in a ride height/droop gauge as well a simple camber guage. Then check ride height and camber before every race.

Baseline alignment:
- Ride height should be 5-6mm at each corner.
- Camber should be -1.5* at each corner
- Set droop so it's equal left to right (4mm front & 5mm rear on typical gauge)
- A little toe-out up front
- 3* toe-in in the rear
Old 05-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Foxx
Ok

The body i have now is a PROTOForm Mazda 6 speed body.
And yes i have to keep the plain old "Silver Can" 540.
Its my birthday coming up on monday and i got about $190 i can spend so im deciding what to buy.

Do you think i should get the 3racing graphite Chassis Conversion?
Graphite chassis will not make you faster. Plus the 3-racing is pretty crappy. My buddy has that chassis and has a bit of sway-back effect in the lower pan once assembled. If your gonna spend that kind of money, sell the TA05 chassis and buy the TRF415 MSXX Marc Rheinard 2007 from TamiyaUSA for $305. It's comes fully hopped up.

What ESC are you using? A good race ESC will really wake up any motor in the very low rpm range. Novak GTX, Tekin FX-Pro, KO Propo VFS-1, LRP QC2 & 3 can all be had for cheap on here in the used parts forum. For silver can you want an ESC with adjustable drive frequency so you can turn it all the way down. This will add a bit of extra punch to your motor...
Old 05-01-2009, 11:12 AM
Tech Initiate

Im not to sure what ESC if i can add you on MSN so we can talk it will be much appreciated.

Also i was just wondering if the graphite chassis would make me faster but since it doesn't i won't waste my money.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Sorry, I don't have MSN. I'm at work and this would be the best place to post questions cause I can always read them later & respond. Feel free to ask whatever you want.

BTW: It's ALWAYS a good idea to ask questions BEFORE you buy anything. Your doin' it the right way...
Old 05-01-2009, 11:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Alright.

And also im using a 4200 NiHM Battery
I asked a good friend of mine he said i should go LiPo and use the Yeah Racing 5000 25c Battery.

What is a good Charger for LiPo's
Old 05-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Alright.

And also im using a 4200 NiHM Battery
I asked a good friend of mine he said i should go LiPo and use the Yeah Racing 5000 25c Battery.

What is a good Charger for LiPo's
Yes, lipo wil be a bit quicker. Personally I would suggest the cheaper 3200mah Yeah Racing lipo. It can be had for $37 shipped on eBay right now and is more than enough juice to run your race. Even with tuned 27T race motors, were are only pulling around 800mah in a 4-minute race (low to medium grip parking-lot). Besides, if your just starting out, you will NOT tell any difference between the different capacity lipos. I'm using the Orion 2400mah lipo, and it's more than enough power for our asphalt racing.

The best deal in chargers out there right now has to be the Hyperion EOS0606i AC/DC. It has a built in balancer and only requires you to add your whatever connector you will be using (I suggest deans). The AC/DC makes it versitile and it puts out pleanty of power. There are cheaper DC only option from Hyperion as well if you don't need AC.

If your using the Yeah Racing lipo, you will need to get the proper Lipo balance connector cause they use Electrifly style balance taps (instead of Hyperion). It's called the JST-XH adapater. You can use the included Hyperion adapter if you plug the 3-pin balance tap into 4, 5 or 6 pni socket on pins 1-3. Me and my buddy figured it out, but this is a little more tricky.

Hyperion EOS0606i ACDC

Hyperion JST-XH balance adapter

Deans Ultra plugs (male for ESCs & Chargers and Females for batteries). Requires soldeing skills...
Old 05-01-2009, 08:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Alright tx alot.
The hobby shop near us is selling 5000mah LiPo for 80$ so i think im gonna go for that. Or ill go for smaller. When im running the NiMH Battery i run the 3300 and then i run the 4200 there is a big difference in speed. Would it be the same in the LiPo
Old 05-01-2009, 09:02 PM
Tech Initiate

Oh yes and what is that thing called that is like purple and you can put your pinions on? Like a pinon holder thing, not the 1 on motor, the 1 that is like a accessory.

Last edited by Foxx; 05-01-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Oh yes and what is that thing called that is like purple and you can put your pinions on?
That sounds like a pinion holder....

I don't think you will tell the difference with the lipo like you do the Nimh. With Nimh, the latest cells will always have the more punch & speed. They also have a very short performance lifespan. That means the guy who can afford the most expensive packs the most often is gonna win. Lipo runs great charge after charge and doesn't require all discharge & equalizing techniques. Just top it off and get back on the track. Very consistent...

Higer capacity lipo will hold it's voltage better throughout the race. But in 540 racing it won't make much difference cause your using such a small amount of the pack. I doubt you could break 700mah in 5 minutes. I guess it depends on the track & available traction...
Old 05-01-2009, 10:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Ok ya becuase the race is 6 mins so it would be better to buy a smaller 1?
Do u have a link for pinion holders?

I saw now i am using the standard black tamiya ESC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.