R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   THE BEST 13.5? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/333475-best-13-5-a.html)

Double D Donuts 10-06-2009 12:54 PM

THE BEST 13.5?

im sure this is going to start a flame war so hold on let me suit up................................................ ...........alright :sweat:. so which would you say is the best 13.5 out there? my track mostly consists of 10.5 because we have such a large track, though i'd like to pick up a 13.5 for the spec class races.

i previously had an orion 13.5 race motor which i think i killed by letting the solder gun sit on there too long. it feels mushy when you try to spin the shaft. i was told that it is dead and i need to get a new one. that same person is trying to sell me on the DUO2 motors, though i want to make sure i am seeing all the options. that and i like to be the odd man out of the crowd!;)

ah! one other question. is it possible to open my motor up and salvage it? or is it really toast?

mikky32 10-06-2009 01:25 PM

Epic DUO 2 on nr 1
Followed bij Tekin and Novak.

Danny-b23 10-06-2009 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Double D Donuts (Post 6437216)
ah! one other question. is it possible to open my motor up and salvage it? or is it really toast?

If the windings are still all right, you only need a new rotor to get it running again. You can just check the windings with a voltmeter.

Double D Donuts 10-06-2009 08:10 PM

what am i looking for when i check it?

TRXRACER99 10-06-2009 08:14 PM

I would go with a trinity Duo 2 motor not only because there fast but also Very easy to work with

Danny-b23 10-06-2009 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Double D Donuts (Post 6439035)
what am i looking for when i check it?

Any shorts in the coil mostly, but if it feels mushy when you spin it it sounds more like a rotor problem then a wire stack problem.

Try getting another rotor that will fit, doesn't necessarily have to be Orion, and put that in the motor and see how it feels to spin.

Pablo Diablo 10-06-2009 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Danny-b23 (Post 6439122)
Any shorts in the coil mostly, but if it feels mushy when you spin it it sounds more like a rotor problem then a wire stack problem.

Try getting another rotor that will fit, doesn't necessarily have to be Orion, and put that in the motor and see how it feels to spin.

Actually that mushy feeling means the coils are toast, not the rotor. New motor time and make sure it doesn't get too hot!

Jamie Hanson 10-06-2009 08:37 PM

Before you toss the motor out, you said you thought you held the soldering iron on too long. Just check and make sure that there is no solder crossing the from one solder tab to the other. Just a tiny bit can give it the mushy feel.... I have had numerous people hand me their motors thinking the same thing. it just turned out to be a pin point of solder crossing tabs.

Danny-b23 10-06-2009 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo (Post 6439152)
Actually that mushy feeling means the coils are toast, not the rotor. New motor time and make sure it doesn't get too hot!

It makes sense that the coils would be the things to go, but "mushy" to me sounds like a weak magnet.

Pablo Diablo 10-06-2009 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Danny-b23 (Post 6439177)
It makes sense that the coils would be the things to go, but "mushy" to me sounds like a weak magnet.

I know, I thought that too when I first melted a motor but by shorting the coils out you change the magnetic field in the windings and the magnets(rotor) doesn't have 3 even coils to be attracted to.

As said above you will get this feeling with a short betwwen the solder terminals too. Worth a check.

Shifty 10-07-2009 12:38 AM

I went out to the iic with a bucked of duo 13.5's after destroying my best duo i dropped in a 13.5 novak balistic and hands down the fastest 13.5 i have run. I can't say if it will stay that way but a fresh novak kicks butt

Pablo Diablo 10-07-2009 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Shifty (Post 6439951)
I went out to the iic with a bucked of duo 13.5's after destroying my best duo i dropped in a 13.5 novak balistic and hands down the fastest 13.5 i have run. I can't say if it will stay that way but a fresh novak kicks butt

You were probably just noticing the speed of a brand new motor. Even novak are saying the balistics are no faster than the old ss motors. The DUO's are without doubt the best motors on the market right now. The proof is in the race results.;)

mikky32 10-07-2009 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by Shifty (Post 6439951)

Gear it right and it doesn't get to hot.

Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo (Post 6439960)
You were probably just noticing the speed of a brand new motor. Even novak are saying the balistics are no faster than the old ss motors. The DUO's are without doubt the best motors on the market right now. The proof is in the race results.;)

+1

MatsNorway 10-07-2009 04:12 AM

http://forum.radiostyrt.no/vb/showthread.php?t=40575

effekt = power in Norwegian.

Pablo Diablo 10-07-2009 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by MatsNorway (Post 6440361)

If only it was as easy as comparing the specs the manufactures give us we wouldn't have 10 million threads asking which is best. If the data on that link is really true everyone winning in superstock would be running hackers with daylight second. That does not happen which means the manufactures specs are not comparable. Do you really believe a SP 10.5 only has half the power of a hacker 10.5 ?? I have run both and they are very close.

The numbers coming from the guys building their own dyno's, who compare motors under similar conditions, show that their is not much in it. Race results would sugest a DUO (Trinity, Express or Fantom) are the proven winner right now.