R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
In touring, stick with 2S so we don't fight run time, and make the classes 21.5 stock & 13.5 mod. Assume that ESC's will continue to advance and that we may one day need to adjust these to be slower. Realize that spec mod isn't for everybody, or all tracks, or all surfaces, and make changes accordingly. In the US on carpet, these seem like reasonable choices to slow things down and make racing more approachable for today's driver.

Are you seriuos??? Make 13.5 mod??? Personally if 13.5 feels that fast to you and you feel out of control by all means put a 17.5 or a 21.5 in your car and enjoy your day.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #32
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

they WERE limited but no longer. and as far as track sizes and motor (stock mod) i was referring to large races. the club level i think should do whatever they need to. they just need to stay around to continue racing and helping the hobby. sorry for the unclear post.
Brollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:59 PM   #33
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

I hadn't followed closely with the fast change from nimh to lipo and brushed to bl. Are there no power limitations in the EU now?

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:15 PM   #34
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitsum View Post
Are you seriuos??? Make 13.5 mod??? Personally if 13.5 feels that fast to you and you feel out of control by all means put a 17.5 or a 21.5 in your car and enjoy your day.
Hey, man, not everybody gets to drive a car with 4 extra top decks and 5-way omni-flex! We all have to work within our limitations.

I enjoy driving my car with a faster motor sometimes, and even have the 7.5 in my bag for some fun tomorrow. But 13.5 is definitely the edge of my comfort zone. I'd say that's probably the case for the vast majority of remaining on-road racers in the US.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:21 PM   #35
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitsum View Post
The difference between Mod and 13.5 was 3 tenths at Nats...that is not a very big gap considering how fast the mod motors are. 13.5 brush less on a big track is pretty fast these days with the new electronics. The motors and electronics are getting faster, the cars are getting lighter and the cars are simply going a lot faster. 1S LIPO might be a good option to help slow down cars...also running slower motors would also help that. My personal feeling is that mod should be 10.5 and stock 17.5 with 2S LIPO. You only need two classes!
Old 10-05-2009, 06:21 AM   #36
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC8 View Post
I'm kind of bummed that 1/12 went 1S. I think 2S would have been better, not to open a can of worms on this thread. Higher voltage is better if you can select a slow enough motor.
Tried that. Cars were waaaaaaay too fast. One racer did try using a smaller motor from a micro setup (like a 300 size motor). I thought this would be a better setup because you change the back of the car and go with lower profile bodies. It never caught on.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:37 AM   #37
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml View Post
Tried that. Cars were waaaaaaay too fast. One racer did try using a smaller motor from a micro setup (like a 300 size motor). I thought this would be a better setup because you change the back of the car and go with lower profile bodies. It never caught on.
Yeah that's the direction I was hoping for too but let's not open that can again.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:11 AM   #38
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwork View Post
The difference between Mod and 13.5 was 3 tenths at Nats...that is not a very big gap considering how fast the mod motors are. 13.5 brush less on a big track is pretty fast these days with the new electronics. The motors and electronics are getting faster, the cars are getting lighter and the cars are simply going a lot faster. 1S LIPO might be a good option to help slow down cars...also running slower motors would also help that. My personal feeling is that mod should be 10.5 and stock 17.5 with 2S LIPO. You only need two classes!

Exactly we only need 2 classes stock and mod. Even as fast as 13.5 can be its NOT mod. Again if that is all you can handle then stick to stock. I don't think 1s will be the answer.Remember the 10 turn limit back in the day. People just showed up with cases of motors and high silver brushes. Cranked the timing to the moon and made them one run motors.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:47 AM   #39
Tech Lord

If 1S puts us in danger of dumping as Rick said, I think we should definitely look for a different solution. Dumping a LiPo generally causes irreversible damage. Lets stay way ahead of capacity like we do now and find another way.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:27 PM   #40
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeunit1014 View Post
The best solution IMO would be to develop A123 (LiFe) packs into something we can use in TC, those are 6.6V packs, would help slow us down a little..
I wonder if the 6.6v packs became the norm (instead of 7.4v), if there'd still be this problem with even 17.5 motors being too fast for noobs, people being uncomfortable going faster than 13.5, mod being too scary, etc. etc...
Old 10-05-2009, 07:12 PM   #41
Tech Lord

I recant all previous statements saying we should make 13.5 the new mod. I ran a 7.5 on our new (big) carpet track and realized how dumb I was being.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:22 PM   #42
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
I recant all previous statements saying we should make 13.5 the new mod. I ran a 7.5 on our new (big) carpet track and realized how dumb I was being.
I think a good move would be to get the LiFE tech researched and then go back to Stock 17.5 and Open Mod. The lower voltage is good for all classes, but don't cut it in half from what it has been.

1s only took 1/12 scale from 4.8 to 3.7. The LiFE tech would take it from 7.4 to 6.6. Only a 0.3v difference in drop from class to class. Plus we could still run our electronics without needing boosters.

3.7 Volts is nowhere near enough power to run a TC at a decent speed. Plus with that, the speed you get out of the volts is more important then ever.
Danny-b23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:56 AM   #43
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_B View Post
It's no secret that sedan is dieing off in a lot of areas. The big question is, will single cell help with all of the things that people normally complain about with sedans.

...Cost and a "chassis of the month" are two of the things that I've heard people complain about with sedans.
The thing that is really starting to irritate me about the whole touring car thing is that a lot of the same people that complain about the expense etc of electric touring cars won't hesitate for a second to spend twice or even 3 times as much on a 1/8 buggy

There is no need for more classes, just need people to actually support the classes as they are.... and 10.5 IS a good middle ground between 17.5 and open mod

Don't mistake not being happy for unhappiness - its not the same thing
ShadowAu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:41 AM   #44
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
We at AE hav e tested 1S LiPo 1/12 lipo in TC and it works pretty well. A car with a 3.5 motor will run slightly than a 13.5 car over a five minute race. But it will use every bit of the 5000mAh capacity. With races now at 6 minutes, it will be hard to make run time.

My conclusion is that the ESC will be as important as it is now in terms of speed. But the actual performance advantage of a special ESC may be negated by the fact that rn time is limited and advancing the timing if the motor will lead to increased battery consumption. The battery would then be the weak link which may result in "special" batteries.

Going to 1S LiPo wll be a good way to reduce TC speeds, but it willnot solve any ESC "problems". The only way to eliminate the need for "special" ESCs is to go to the class that already exists - modified. In this class your speed is limited by your driving ability and you can pretty much run any battery, motor, or ESC and be as fast as the next guy.
Thanks Rick, great to see an answer from someone who has actually tried 1s in touring. Battery of the week is no better than ESC of the week!
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:40 AM   #45
Tech Adept

1S doesn't solve the problem!!!
Why not limit the capacity of the battery? with a limit of 3000mAh (for Example) and a nominal voltage of 7.4V, the power allways stays the same. So, you don't have the same problem again in 2 or 3 years. The batterys just become lighter and cheaper.
Der Dicke is offline   Reply With Quote