Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1s LiPo Touring - the answer to clever ESCs? >

1s LiPo Touring - the answer to clever ESCs?

1s LiPo Touring - the answer to clever ESCs?

Old 10-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by adam lancia
That's about the most uninformed statement I've heard about that ESC yet. Maybe have a read through this thread: http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-opinions.html , there's plenty of ACCURATE info in here.
Yes it was an uninformed post and yes there is plenty of accurate info in that thread but it is also full of complete BS. I suspect he has been reading the BS.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Suspended

Trying to slow any rc class down is boring, I want to see these things ripping up the track at 100mph and blowing up motors every run

Just like the good old F1 days
Old 10-04-2009, 01:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I might try my 1.5T (18,200Kv) motor with 1S lipos and see how it does. With 2S the battery is the weak link as the motor draws a lot more AMPs then the packs can deliver.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
Funny how everyone complaining about brushless speedo software conveniently forget the software changes made in brushed speed controls, or does no one remember the 7 different profiles the Novak GTX had?
Surely your not saying that back when the GTX had 6 standard profiles and 1 profile where the user could "somewhat" custom create 1 profile, being harder than what we have now with completely hidden profiles being created within the software. I am NOT saying that we can't deal with what we have now but in my opinion back during the brushed days the motors were the limiting factor, if you over geared a brushed motor badly it went "poof" and there was no advancing the timing, turbo, etc.

Steve

P.S. and don't call me "shirley"
Old 10-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I am actuaully trying this out this coming Saturday. We rained out yesterday or I would have more input.

We have a good 17.5 class so I decided to try 1 cell 10.5(8.5 if needed) and see what happens. Balance wasn't to hard. Just put the ESC and battery on the same side and went to a standard servo(not low profile).

Car: Kyosho Stallion
Esc: Lrp Spx
Battery: Smc 4900 50c
Servo: Futba 9451
Body: Mazda speed 6
Tires: Rp36 might try Rp30's

Weighs 1230grams. I will let everyone know next week.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

I think this concept of trying to make changes to sedan racing is not what this class needs. We need to add stability not try to create new classes to be run. Running 1s in T.C. racing does not solve anything, in fact you would now have to add boosters and receiver packs to get the voltage back up for the receiver. Plus the servo's that we run in a TC will most definately need more power than a lighter 2wd pan 1/12th servo would need.

If you want lower speeds in TC racing, if this is all that you want, then run a slower motor or don't gear your motor so high (Fast). Seriously what always bothered me about the 17.5 BL class in 1/12th with 1s is it was done to resemble stock brushed speeds but now you have guys running with advanced timing speedos and 72t spurs and 60 t pinions and the cars are faster than they should be.

Let's not do this to this class also.

Steve
Old 10-04-2009, 06:07 PM
Tech Elite

We at AE hav e tested 1S LiPo 1/12 lipo in TC and it works pretty well. A car with a 3.5 motor will run slightly than a 13.5 car over a five minute race. But it will use every bit of the 5000mAh capacity. With races now at 6 minutes, it will be hard to make run time.

My conclusion is that the ESC will be as important as it is now in terms of speed. But the actual performance advantage of a special ESC may be negated by the fact that rn time is limited and advancing the timing if the motor will lead to increased battery consumption. The battery would then be the weak link which may result in "special" batteries.

Going to 1S LiPo wll be a good way to reduce TC speeds, but it willnot solve any ESC "problems". The only way to eliminate the need for "special" ESCs is to go to the class that already exists - modified. In this class your speed is limited by your driving ability and you can pretty much run any battery, motor, or ESC and be as fast as the next guy.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
With races now at 6 minutes, it will be hard to make run time.
Sounds like 1S TC racing would be like it was 10 years ago when only team drivers with the best batteries would win. Racing has never been better than recent times when anyone can buy enough power to be competative.
The issues some people are complaining about with new speed controls is minor compared to battery war days.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo
The issues some people are complaining about with new speed controls is minor compared to battery war days.
Absofreakinlutely
Old 10-04-2009, 07:36 PM
RC8
Suspended

The ESCs will develop to have fancy timing advances and such, nothing can be done about that, except to realize that unless you are a top driver it probably doesn't effect you. A top pro driver will kick your butt with a 5 year old Novak SS, even if you have the latest and greatest ESC.

The 2S voltage level of sedans is right where it should be, no need to muss things up there. Going to a 1S solution will double your amp draw with the appropriate wind motor. So your heat losses go way up too as do your ESC requirments. That's why 1/8 scale use 4S, to reduce the amp draw. If 1/8 scales ran on 1S they would need 500 amp ESCs.

I'm kind of bummed that 1/12 went 1S. I think 2S would have been better, not to open a can of worms on this thread. Higher voltage is better if you can select a slow enough motor.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

In touring, stick with 2S so we don't fight run time, and make the classes 21.5 stock & 13.5 mod. Assume that ESC's will continue to advance and that we may one day need to adjust these to be slower. Realize that spec mod isn't for everybody, or all tracks, or all surfaces, and make changes accordingly. In the US on carpet, these seem like reasonable choices to slow things down and make racing more approachable for today's driver.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Tech Master

2s TC, 1s pan car. Motor up or motor down the TC's if you want, but I think that 13.5 stock and Open Mod is the way to go.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:17 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lutach
I might try my 1.5T (18,200Kv) motor with 1S lipos and see how it does. With 2S the battery is the weak link as the motor draws a lot more AMPs then the packs can deliver.
If you go from 2s to 1s and try to replicate the 2s' performance then you will be doubling the amp draw.

The only two times that lowering the voltage in RC racing has ever been a good idea was 6 cell to 4 cell in 1/12th and doing away with 7 cell in mod offroad. If you want to slow a racing class down then limit the traction and everything else will come into line.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

simple. run stock (13.5) and mod (open). 2cell. be done with it. tc mod is meant to be challenging and for true drivers. quit trying to change the rules every year to make it easier for joe blows to win a big race. the cars being fast isnt the problem. the tracks in the us being too small is.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brollywood
simple. run stock (13.5) and mod (open). 2cell. be done with it. tc mod is meant to be challenging and for true drivers. quit trying to change the rules every year to make it easier for joe blows to win a big race. the cars being fast isnt the problem. the tracks in the us being too small is.
Wasn't modified in europe limited to 5 cells/12t brushed motors? 13.5 is a little fast for "stock". The tracks near me don't even have mod anymore at club races. Nobody seems interested in running any faster than 13.5T.

The tracks are the tracks, we have to race at the tracks people are willing to build.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.