R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-08-2002, 02:12 PM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Having used both T30/35's and Victor IQ/IQ2/IQ3's extensively, it's my opinion that the Victors were more versatile and had more capabilities than the CE chargers, but in my experience the CE's were more reliable.

Around here, most folks said that if you went with a Victor you could count on having to send it in for service once, whereas the CE's were typically bulletproof. I've owned four Victors (IQ, IQ2, SuperIQ2, and IQ3) and three CE's (T30 and 2 T35's). Three of my Victors needed servicing in the time I had them, one of the CE's had to go in once.

I'm still of the opinion that the Victor IQ series were the best chargers ever. Perhaps they were a bit fragile, but I wouldn't trade mine for anything.

Trips
Old 03-08-2002, 05:36 PM   #32
Tech Regular

Thanks Trips... that's exactly the kind of stuff I need to know.

I'm curious though... how does a charger "break down"? Over-usage?
jwwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 01:03 AM   #33
Tech Elite

My Turbo35 went in for a checkup, the symptom it was having was that when I powered it with a car battery at an outdoor track the input voltage reading on the screen seemed to fluctuate quite a bit and it seemed to false peak a lot, but again, only when powered by a car battery. It worked perfectly on a pwer supply. I sent it in to CE and it came back workign perfectly. This symptom appeared maybe eight months after I got it. I'm not sure what the cause was. CE fixed it for around $25.00

Two of the three Victors I had to send in for service seemed to have their problems right from new. One didn't want to discharge, it would sometimes start to discharge, but never went more than around 30 seconds, then it stopped with a "battery not connected" type error message. The second had something going on where it would just reboot at random times. The third I think I fried on the first day out, I let one of the battery pack terminals short against the heatsink/case and some smoke came out...

Trips
Old 03-09-2002, 01:54 PM   #34
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Trips: I hear you, that 3rd charger with the shortage accident! You really gotta be careful with the Victors due to their all metal casings! I was once in a hurry and pulled the power leads from the charger first while still connected to the power supply, When I pulled the first lead out I wasn't paying attention and it swung and hit the Victors case, POOF, and there was smoke, lol. I also had a similar problem when I bought it New, had it for a couple of months at best and it would give me a NiCd not connected prompt on the display even though I had the battery hooked up! It was fixed for free (under warranty) but I had to pay to ship it and the inconvenience of waiting sucked! I still love my Victors though, regardless of the past problems I have had, when they work, they work good, plus I haven't had any problems in a long time!
WailinOnYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 01:56 PM   #35
Tech Regular

Default And then there was smoke...

Hey guys...

it sounds like there's a downside to the Victor's solid-looking metal case then huh?

But I guess after servicing.. they're not so bad?
jwwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 07:21 PM   #36
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Trips
I'm still of the opinion that the Victor IQ series were the best chargers ever. Perhaps they were a bit fragile, but I wouldn't trade mine for anything.
I think Victor IQ's designer is move to ProTrak now...... hmmmm...... not sure about this rumour
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 12:16 AM   #37
Tech Elite

Default Re: And then there was smoke...

Quote:
Originally posted by jwwu
But I guess after servicing.. they're not so bad?
I don't think I've ever heard of a Victor that had to go back twice... seems once they went in they stayed working after that.

Trips
Old 03-15-2002, 01:58 PM   #38
Tech Adept

Default custom faceplate

This is the custom panel that was on my protrak when i bought it second hand. Ive had a lot of people looking at it and wanting to change their own yellow/orange scheme.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg protrak.jpg (95.0 KB, 85 views)
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 10:30 PM   #39
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Quote:
Originally posted by TSR6
I thought it looked nice. I took a trip to Competition Electronics a couple months ago to check it out. I'll post pictures when it comes in.
http://www.shearracing.com/t35stealth.jpg As promised, i have a picture.

-Troy
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote