R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-01-2009, 06:13 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default looking into onroad

im looking into getting into onroad racing. i race offroad now ,but im ready to try onrad as well. between the tc4-5 and the jxrs-r.which one would be the better choice,between driveability and durability. im leaning towards the losi since i race losi's offroad.
crawldad91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:24 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I ran the losi before the ofna and it was an absolutely great car, the durability is insane compared to other cars and was very easy to set up and drive fast. its also much easier to balance the type r compared to the tc-4/5. If i cant figure out how to cut down the ofna to 190mm for Touring car instead of the current 195mm for rcgt then ill be buying another jrxs-r
Durango Dex210--Futaba--Trakpower--Tacon 8.5
VenturaDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:57 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Hi,*I have been running a Losi JRXS-R and personally find that the car just eats c-hubs. The slightest nudge seems to break them at my track (although we have timber boards setting out the track which is tough on cars) however the rest of the car has proven to be durable. Apparently it's possible to modify an X-ray c-hub (or mod the suspension arm to take an X-ray c-hub) which makes for a far stronger front end.

I have also just bought a Tigermoth LCG V10 kit (well actually a few, as I am the Australian dealer) which is similar in layout to the Losi (ie centred battery, 2 drive belts) but this car is built like a tank whilst being lightweight. It's definitely worth considering...I drove mine for the first time today without any proper setup and I dont think I've ever driven a better handling car. I have the laydown shock version, and think this car is going places.

As for the Associated car, they are reputed to be very tough and when set up properly do very well in the right hands. I've never driven one but know a few people that do, and the one negative seems that they need constant wrenching. However they are tough and fast, so if you dont mind using the tools it's a good car also.
stephenianjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:00 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenianjames View Post

As for the Associated car, they are reputed to be very tough and when set up properly do very well in the right hands. I've never driven one but know a few people that do, and the one negative seems that they need constant wrenching. However they are tough and fast, so if you dont mind using the tools it's a good car also.
I would have to agree, on the acount of being tough. I still have the A-arms that came with my TC4, for over two years now. I have my car dialed in, so it drives exactly how I want it to. But if your a real serious driver, with no budget limits. Then look into an Xray 09'. It's a precision built mechine. And in skilled hands, is a winning car. But renember, the key word is "skilled". It could just as well be a nightmare in the wrong hands. The car, or any other car is only as good as your driving abilities.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:20 PM   #5
Tech Adept

i was lookin at the xray but 499 is a little more than i feel like dishing out just to try getting my feet wet onroad,and parts support around here is horrible around here. AE and losi have great support locally
crawldad91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:43 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Well, I like Associated, and you like Losi. Either you can stick with what you know, or you can take a chance on associated. With associated you have a few choices. You could go with the TC5, TC5-R(rubber), or the TC5-F(foam). The TC4 is my car of choice. Cheap, durabile and easy to drive. The setup takes a bit of fine tuning, but once you get it to how you want it, it becomes a competitive machine.