Community
Wiki Posts
Search

need help installing a motor on a TT-01

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 11:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Default need help installing a motor on a TT-01

I have a TT01 and a ROAR 96 motor for it. How do i install it and is there anything i need to install at the same time. I got a Novak GT7 ECS, aluminum shaft, Ball bearing kit, and a upgraded spur and pinion.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Tech Rookie

bump anyone?
Old 10-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you have your instruction manual, best way to install. If not its only six phillips screws to install. remove rear cover and pull out old motor w motor plate. Motor screws to plate in different positions depending on gear you are using. If your not sure search it in here I have seen the diagram for motor positions somewhere. Good luck. Its easy car to work on. Dont tighten the screws into plastic too tight, just snug, or you will strip your chassis.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:32 AM
Tech Rookie

The ROAR motor comes with 4 prongs and 4 resistors. Thats really what confuses me the most because the stock motor has only two prongs.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by voodoogtx
The ROAR motor comes with 4 prongs and 4 resistors. Thats really what confuses me the most because the stock motor has only two prongs.
Two of the "prongs" are on the positive side of the motor, two are on the negative - it doesn't really matter which of the two you use, whichever gives the neatest installation. The endbell should be marked somewhere to show polarity.

Capacitors are already installed I assume?
Old 10-03-2009, 07:46 AM
Tech Rookie

No they are taped to the side of the motor. I cant find anything online about the motor at all.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:03 AM
Tech Elite

You won't find any info online about the motor because it is ancient - from before the internet existed in people's homes.

You'll need to solder the capacitors before you run it - three are needed, one from positive to the can, one from negative to the can, one from positive to negative.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:10 AM
Tech Addict

Does the motor have wires already connected? From what I remember of some brushed motors they have two exta tabs that allow connecting the wire leads at 90 degrees.

The two capacitors taped to the side are just spares, remove them and keep them with your spare parts.

BTW it would help if you could post a pic of the motor.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:26 AM
Tech Rookie

Here are the pictures. Is this a crappy motor? i just bought the car and it was included. I have no problem buying a beter motor for the car. I already dropped over 300$ on all the carbon parts and the 3racing race conversion kit. I just didnt get a motor because i thought this one might be good.
Attached Thumbnails need help installing a motor on a TT-01-1.jpg   need help installing a motor on a TT-01-2.jpg   need help installing a motor on a TT-01-3.jpg  
Old 10-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

Here are the pictures. Is this a crappy motor? i just bought the car and it was included. I have no problem buying a beter motor for the car. I already dropped over 300$ on all the carbon parts and the 3racing race conversion kit. I just didnt get a motor because i thought this one might be good.
In that case I wouldn't bother with it.

It will blow the standard Tamiya speedo, and since it is not rebuildable it will swiftly drop in performance.

The 540 motor is better suited to the TT-01 - with the speed tuned gears and a bigger pinion it is quite a pleasant speed for small tracks. Tamiya's Sport Tuned is a little faster and should work with the ESC.

Unfortunately you are about to enter a Catch-22 situation. A better motor would be a brushless system (the only thing worth investing good money in), but the TT-01 can't handle much more power than the kit motor before it starts throwing drivetrain parts.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Once the drive train parts come in the mail ill be installing them anyway. Right now im installing a Novak GT7
Old 10-03-2009, 07:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Got the novak in and doing its thing.

I got a problem though. Im using a R122 2 channel receiver and i cant get the steering Servo to work with it. The novak works fine.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Tech Addict

That motor looks pretty decent and seems to have replaceable brushes. It's probably better than a Sport Tuned which do not have replaceable brushes. It does look like those capacitors are not spares and need to be installed? but since the pics are so blurry I can't really tell. I'd just use that motor for now and if you don't like it then get a BL motor if your ESC is BL compatible.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Tech Rookie

I just got the ESC installed and its SICK. Only trouble I'm having is setting it correctly. It does not recognize braking. So if i hit the brakes it just goes into neutral.

The motor on this car is so slow BTW haha my other car is so much faster its ridiculous.