R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-12-2004, 01:33 AM   #616
Tech Apprentice

Well last time I was running a 10L2 it was 6 cell stock.
Although with the faster stock motors that are out now and the runtime of the new cells 4 cell stock seems like a good choice.

The spec oval racers have been running that way for a while now and it seems to be fast and cheap. 19T is a good idea but from what I have heard 19T's are not that much cheaper than mod plus the R.O.A.R. rules are sketchy on what motors are even legal. Not to mention that they seem to be finicky with how you gear them. Wich may not be the best choice when your changing tire diamiter requires some ratio re-working.

I ask since I dont know how many people still have or can even find the wide cars and bodies. Plus if narrow cars are not any slower than all the oval guys could re-ballance and tune thier cars for road courses and play as well. Kind of like Nascar does with Infinon Raceway here in California. (make em turn right

4 cell means less weight, less tire wear, more traction, less motor wear, cheaper packs etc...etc. Even a off the shelf, untuned and not hand sponsor picked stock motor will be all that some drivers can handle. Hopefully it might take some of the motor and battery ($money$) wars out of the mix.
ScaleSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 02:17 AM   #617
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TOADYY

4cell stock is slower than 6cell. 6cell stock is between 19t and mod sedan for speed. In So. Cal. we run 6 cell stock and mod. In fact we just ran 6C 19T at the KO ProPo race last weekend.
The tire wear is no different than any other class. When I run a pink/white combo they tend to last about 4-6 weeks depending how often I'm on the track. And we do not have any traction problems on the tracks we run. Battery and motor war is a non issue with us. This class is about driving skills not batt and motor wars.

You can still get the wide bodies.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXK897&P=K

If you want one, I would place it on backorder. Tower does get them in but they sell out fast.

FYI...to the people who do not know. There is a 1/10 pan car road course thread here. Goto, Oval, Larger Scales and More and then click on 1/10 Pan Car
Theres a wealth of information in that about Pro10. This is where the majority of us hang out.

"Pro 10, the only way to fly around the track!"
TOADYY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 04:57 AM   #618
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

yep I've still got some of those wide bodies left!
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 06:07 PM   #619
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

If you look back (search) you'll find quite a few discussions on the wide body (235) vs narrow body (200 or 190) and how we've found wider to be better - mostly stability around corners, the ability to carry speed through corners, partly because of being wider, but partly because of wider bodies enable more DF.

Also - on foam tires vs. rubber - rubber just don't cut it. they aren't soft enough to allow the tires to grip with so little weight. Tell you what, though, you bring your rubber tires, we'll bring our foamies. . .and we'll bring an extra set for you too!

They do cone and they do wear out. But I've found that I go through more foam tires on my NTC-3 than I do on my 10L2 - and the L2 is "wearing" roughly 25shore tires and the Nitro is wearing 40's (roughly) - so the softer tire is wearing better than the harder nitro tire.

But, we've discussed this one too!

As to 6 cell vs. 4 cell - 4 cell today is prolly as fast as 6 cell was a decade ago. However, 6 cell is far faster than that.

6 cell is always going to be faster than 4 cell if, for no other reason than that the voltage is 50% higher on 6 cell. Roughly - each cell is ~1.5v. (makes mult easier) - 4 cell is 6v. 6 cell is 9v. Which is going to turn the motor faster? Higher voltage. (yeah, it's a generalization but is generally true)

Plus, you'll have longer run times since you've also increased the total amperage capacity.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:13 AM   #620
Tech Apprentice

Basically the question about the 235mm compared to the 190mm'ish cars was to see if there was such a decrease in speed that it would not be fast enough to be fun or competitive. Not witch one is better since itís obvious that a wider chassis will have an edge. To see what that difference actually is and how big of an impact it would have on the classís success. For example would a racer not run the class if they did a 13.8 lap instead of a 12.9 lap or if the top speed was only 1.4mph less etc..

I think that we can all agree that if stock 4wd touring cars are fast enough to be popular. Then even 190mm stock pan cars would be at least as fast and I bet faster, cheaper etc.

On the rubber issue well I can only tell you that 24mm can safely handle 1/12th scale 4 cell stock with NO loss of traction. Now as I stated before when you are talking 6 cell or mod on carpet. Well then it doesnít take a rocket scientist to see that a sauce sponge (foam tire) that is twice as wide and less than half the weight will prevail.

The 4 wd gas sedans vs. pan car isnít quite an apples to apples comparison. Since a 4wd car with a oneway or spool combined with a very high torque gas motor will obviously wear out narrower tires quite a bit faster.

The 1/10th scale onroad class last for only 5 minutes so run time is not an issue with current batt's.

I understand that things may have been discussed in the past but do you propose that we not ask and just troll through the postís ?
I was hoping this was an active informational board that has an open mind about this sport/hobby. Some may like things just the way they are but for this class that may not be a good thing.

Change is good and inevitable: )
Old 08-13-2004, 07:51 AM   #621
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Ahh nothing like good ol honest debate to bring people out. Oh and I finally got a servo in my 10L (Airtronics 94102). Now I just need to get everything else hooked up and I am good to go! Oh and I talked to the guys from Hobbytown last night (they were working on the track and were nice enough to give me a call), and they are going to submit a proposal to ROAR for a Pan Car National, and they will try and get the 12th scales to be a part of it. If everything works out, I will have to nix the oval classes to accomodate everything (the dates will remain unchanged though). I will keep you posted on how this turns out
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 06:48 PM   #622
Tech Addict

Default Bring your rubbers

We will race on foams. Yes you can true foams, but I don't . I am too cheap. I have a big box of rubber tires. Want em? You can HAVE them because they do not work near as well as foam. I don't race in my gravel driveway and if I do some bashing, I run my GT, XXX-T or B4.

I have run both 190 and 230 mm cars. I had an L3O I ran in touring car or road course guise. I then ran my sons RC10L. the plain ol L handled better in the corners. I now run an L2.5 and wouldn't switch for anything. My son runs his L and the L3 has been sold.

run what you have. A pan car is far better than a touring car maintnence wise , weight and speed.

Only MY opinion
David Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 07:36 PM   #623
Tech Apprentice

You ran rubber sedan tires on your 10L or other pan car?

If so what compound's worked best for you and what adapter did you use?

I would be more than happy to take your free old rubber sedan rims/tires you can even send them COD
Old 08-14-2004, 07:43 PM   #624
Tech Apprentice

Oh just to add to trackdesigners statement of a debate.

I dont think of it as a debate I am just discussing idea's opinions and gathering information.

I have long got over the my opionion is the right one or the only one. That and I dont have a need to bench/board race with anyone.

My interest comes from creativity and the fun of this hobby/sport. So please no one take any offense or consider opionions as challenges as they are not meant as such. (at least not by me:
Old 08-26-2004, 05:12 PM   #625
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Hey out there all you Pro10 people, entries for the USPCC are now open. I will work on accomodating you as much as possible with regards to travel expenses
Old 09-11-2004, 09:40 AM   #626
Tech Elite

Hey guys, I just thought Id throw this out there:

What classes are you thinking of running for the US Pan Car Championships. In case you don't know, the classes are:

Pro10 6 cell stock
Pro10 6 cell mod
Pro10 4 cell 19T GT1/GTS
Pro12 4 cell stock
Pro12 4 cell mod
Pro10 4 cell stock, 19T and mod oval
Pro12 4 cell stock and mod oval
Old 09-30-2004, 09:37 PM   #627
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to picco007 Send a message via Yahoo to picco007
Default 1/10 pan car tires

Just wanted to bring this thread back up to the top to see if anyone has information to where we can get some 1/10 pan car tires pink rears and pink fronts or magenta fronts, etc. Are there any online places that have good prices.......21.95 for rears is about the going price.....Let me know......
Old 09-30-2004, 10:04 PM   #628
Tech Elite

You could start with Tower:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...co&FVPROFIL=++

Im sure that there are other companies that you could talk to. Of course you could buy direct worse comes to worse.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:31 PM   #629
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TOADYY

You can buy directly from Trinity/TRC.

http://www.shopatron.com/index/158.0.705.698.0.0.0

"Pro 10, the only way to fly around the track!"
TOADYY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 10:56 PM   #630
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)