Bring Back 1/10 Scale Pan Car Poll!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bring Back 1/10 Scale Pan Car Poll!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 04:31 PM
Tech Elite

newracer you can order the car in the hong kong section there are a couple hobby shops that carry them. $280.00 dollars and they carry parts also!
Old 08-09-2004, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I hope soon to have part for the 10g ASAP working on it right now.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Okay, I am still quite convinvced.......

That the pan cars days are numbered. BUT , it won't stop an R/C fanatic like myself from getting one! Plus the pan cars still have a lot of fight left; I just saw a pic of an ISR (insane speed run) HPI car and it got me thinking...... then I watched the vid and that got me wanting!

So maybe I was wrong after all........I guess I was looking at the small percentage of types of pan cars. My Hyperdrive was an LTO, which would pretty much suck on a road course due to its battery placement. I think that 1/12th scale pan cars are the ones that kept the pan cars flame lit for a while when touring cars reign........kinda like roaches; just when you though you got rid of them.....

Is the HPI pan car still availible? I though I saw a post somewhere that it did, or maybe it was another car. I am not going way bake through the posts to find out!

I guess I'm helping you guys keep this thread at the top!
Old 08-10-2004, 12:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Re: Okay, I am still quite convinvced.......

Originally posted by GundamWZero
That the pan cars days are numbered. BUT , it won't stop an R/C fanatic like myself from getting one! Plus the pan cars still have a lot of fight left; I just saw a pic of an ISR (insane speed run) HPI car and it got me thinking...... then I watched the vid and that got me wanting!

So maybe I was wrong after all........I guess I was looking at the small percentage of types of pan cars. My Hyperdrive was an LTO, which would pretty much suck on a road course due to its battery placement. I think that 1/12th scale pan cars are the ones that kept the pan cars flame lit for a while when touring cars reign........kinda like roaches; just when you though you got rid of them.....

Is the HPI pan car still availible? I though I saw a post somewhere that it did, or maybe it was another car. I am not going way bake through the posts to find out!

I guess I'm helping you guys keep this thread at the top!
It is but youre gonna have to get it from one of the shops in Asia off the net because HPI USA doesnt distribute them anymore. You might also find one on Ebay once in a blue moon
Old 08-10-2004, 02:34 PM
Tech Addict

Default Been Racin one for 2 years!

I race a pan car. I have been for 2 years at a parking lot race. Once I switched to Pink rear tires, the thing was hooked up. I am comepeting in the TC class. MY car weighs 12 ounces less than a TC, has NO transmission and almost NEVER brakes. My son runs one too. So lets review

1. 25% less weight with same motor and batteries
2. Very little to break, so low maintnence
3. More difficult to drive ( A challenge)

I am not a good driver, but still am in the B main. I get many compliments on how fast I can corner or how fast I can go down the straight. On carpet in the winter, I hear the same thing "you go into the corners so fast"

I spend my time at the races socilizing instead of working on my car. It does break if you hit something hard enough, but not too often. There are days my son and I race and break nothing.

With the right tires and set up you can run faster than a TC just because of the weight difference. Try one and see. Driving takes finess, easy and gentle on the throttle, don't make sudden or crazy turns and you should be able to keep up or pass the TCs.

The throttle is not a switch. You have to DRIVE a pan car, make the chasis do the work not the 4WD. It will be faster if you let it.

Going racing this sunday!
Old 08-10-2004, 11:21 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by speedxl
newracer you can order the car in the hong kong section there are a couple hobby shops that carry them. $280.00 dollars and they carry parts also!
got a link? Control Center carries the car but I haven't found out if they have parts or tuning springs yet.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Well I think one major pain with pan cars is dealing with foam tires. They wear fast and uneven (cone) wich means constant trueing. Then you just wore alot of tire by truing it and you now have to change your gear ratio and ride height to compensate for a smaller (trued) tire. They chunk, split and need secret sauce and aplication tricks (saucing inside of tire only etc.) Carpet tracks are more freindly but not everyone has them to race on and you realy cant practice on asphault unless it is prepped (soda, VHT etc.) due to no traction in the dusty stuff.

I have dealt with R.O.A.R. about their solid axle design and 2wd rules in a sedan spec like class due to the popularity of the bodies and rubber tires. But they just said "oh yeah I guess we need to update the rules to be more clear". Then they made it clear that they did not want solid axles or 2wd assosiated with sedans (lame: (

I have had a couple of prototype hub adaptors made that mount sedan rims and rubber tires to 3 hole 1/12th scale hubs. I chose 1/12th scale since it is the only pan car thats still remotely alive where I live. That and the "Mini" 1/12th sedans got some attention, so I went with that.

I chose a good asphault pan car (Yok. YRX) and mounted it up with thier 1/12th scale touring body off thier 4wd Mini car. I tried some Sorex 21R's and wow ! a crap load of traction untill they heat up and that was pretty fast when its 90-100 deg outside. Next up was some 27R's and wala! enough traction for 4 cell stock and no heating issues.
I was realy suprised by how easy it is to drive with sedan rubber after EVERYONE said "it wont work dont bother" but it does : )
I have purchased the blueprints that Bud Bartos had when he had made a 4 hole 1/10th scale adaptor and I am waiting for a "Pantoura" car kit from Frank at CRC.
(most all the pan car guys from the mid west to the east coast are great to deal with)

I think that with the simplicity and low cost of racing pan cars combined with the durabillity and low maintanence of rubber tires will make a very fun class. I also like the realistic looks of some of the sedan or GT bodies more than the "Big Wing" look. HPI, Tamiya and Yokomo all make 1/12th scale sedan'ish "Mini" bodies as well.

I will see if I can post a pic or too that will not give away the design too much : )
Old 08-11-2004, 04:10 AM
Tech Addict

Default Scale Speed, you are right

Traction is a problem unless the track is prepped. At least sweep the surface to race on. Foam tires are not a problem to me, I don't have coning issiues, I just set the camber so they wear even. I use about 2 sets of tires a season. Never true them. I am too cheap. I just put them on and race. If I loose a big chunk, I try to find it and glue it back on whith rubber cement. It works great. If I can't find it, I make a piece out of an old tire of the same compound. I tried rubber once and had no luck.

and yes with tire sauce I can control the amount of steering by how much of the front tire I put the stuff on. If I find my self saucing the whole tire, I look for steering in a different place.

Love those 1/10 pan cars!
Old 08-11-2004, 12:25 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by newracer
got a link? Control Center carries the car but I haven't found out if they have parts or tuning springs yet.
You can ask about them here:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...79#post1019279
Old 08-11-2004, 02:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well I have to say that most pro level or even top local level racers tend to true thier tires and quite frequently.

Alot of folks put camber in the front to compensate for tire wear instead of tuning, but it would be nice not having to comprimise due to foam tires.

Anyway you look at it foam tires are not as durable and not as consistant as rubber tires. They do have one major advantage when running 10 single or less mod and that is great traction on the right surface.

With the scale looks of the sedan wheels & tire combo and many good pre glued sets selling for reasonable prices. It was worth a try, plus it adds some more versatillity to the pan car. Now you can have fun running the car in the drive way or in a parking lot. You will get more use out of your pan car since you dont have to run them only at a special track. You cant ignore the huge "Back yard basher" market just take a look at what they did for Monster trucks.

Check out this Kitchen table shot of my test car. I does not have the final design on it but you can see what the idea is like. The adaptors would cost around $30.00 to $40.00 a set at this point unless I outsource the work oversea's and have many thousands made.
Attached Thumbnails Bring Back 1/10 Scale Pan Car Poll!!-car.jpg  
Old 08-11-2004, 02:46 PM
Tech Champion

Edit: out of deference to the parties involved I have removed the text of thispost. Word of any developments isnot to be divulged by anyone TO anyone at this point

Last edited by trackdesigner71; 08-16-2004 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thats great

Its nice to see the new ROAR officials being so open minded.

Congrats on your hard Promotional work as it seems to have made a nice dent.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:56 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks. I will keep you guys posted on how this goes
Old 08-11-2004, 11:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have a quick qeustion for you Pro 10'ers

Has anyone recorded lap times with 4 cell vs 6 cell using the same car motor etc. Just swaping a 4 cell in the next run?

What about recording lap times of the narrow 190'ish mm vs the wide old school cars. Maybe a 10L3T vs a 10L2 (newest wide AE car I think)

Just wondereing if narrow 4 cell stock is fast enough to keep everyone hapy?
Old 08-12-2004, 12:07 AM
Tech Master

I belive 6-cell 12th scales are quicker than 4 cell

What does everyone run one-tenth pan car with anyway...four or six cell?

I got an 10L2-W sitting on my shelf. Just need electronics, body & for me to put the shock on...

How do they handle compared to 12th scales? I'm addicted to 12th scale now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.