R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-15-2004, 06:38 PM   #511
Tech Addict

Default Why I run Pro10

I am a mechanic by day. I am also "frugal" or Cheap. My handle on another local board is Fred Sanford. When I race Pro 10, I sit around in the pitts eating fine food, goofing off and relaxing like racing is supposed to be. The TC guys seem to be always working on their cars and have to carry a hobby shop with them. I just sit around and eat.

Pro 10 is lighter therefore faster. They go around corners faster, and go faster in the straight. Less weight will change lines easier. Less maintnence, Less initial investment. Less work. I raced all last summer with my son. We both raced PRO 10 in the TC Class. We broke one front suspension arm, and one T bar each. That is all. Nothing more. Maybe $20.00 worth of parts for the whole summer. Tires wear out, bodies dont last a whole season. NO Shafts, NO belts, NO CVDs, NO extra drag, NO driveline. Easy to set up. Less wear and tear on the motor.

I work on cars all day, I don't want to work on them on my day off. If there is a bad side, there are only a few hop ups you can put on a Pro 10. Not much to spend there.

I raced Pan Car On Road this winter. Had some really good lap times compared to the TC class. I am not a good driver. I could go under or around most of the TCs with pure speed and better handling. This winter I broke one wheel, and sheared off one front axle from hitting a dot. That is all for the winter for breakage. What more could I ask for? I also race 1/12 scale, but do worse because they are harder to drive.

OK that is all I have to say for now.

David Root
David Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 06:52 PM   #512
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

I just put in my order for a Speed Spec Sedan from Speedmerchant to run at CORCAr this summer.

I too am hoping for a no-brainer kind of show up and drive. Especially since I willl be driving 2.5 hrs to race at this track, theres no power and quite frnakyl-I dont want to run my 4wd Sedans on pavement if I can help it.

I also hope to solder in a motor on Saturday at home and unsolder it when I get home Sunday night-and still be very competitive.

David Root-I like your assessment. Though I am ot that frugal-spending less is always good!!

Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 02:54 AM   #513

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We had our first big race this year, last weekend. My friend Ronald, who has my old car won, in very great style! He lapped the entire field in the second main, including me!
He has a Corally C10/x modified with home made rear pod and T-bar setup. We all run the cheapest GP3300 cells, and out of the box 12turn Epic motors. He turned solid 15-high, 16-low seconds laps. The only cars that can match that are the top 1/8th scale (and I mean factory-sponsored) drivers! We run on a large permament outdoor track, just look at the pictures on www.evmc.nl.
We had a decent turnout of 11drivers from Holland and Germany, verses 18 drivers in 12 turn modified touring. Most touring drivers have never heard of this alternative to those expensive, but slow, cars! When they see us run, they always come and look, and more and more people are dusting off those old pan cars and running them again.
If this class is dead, why can't Tower and Stormer keep the rc10l2 and hot bodies Toyota in stock?
Old 04-16-2004, 04:41 AM   #514
Tech Adept

Ray, is the car fast enough w/only 4 cell?

dan
sssupra85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 04:53 AM   #515
Tech Addict

Default 4 Cells

SSSupra85,

I have not run MY pan car on 4 cells, but have been told 4 cell 19 turn is as fast as 6 cell Stock. I am going to try it this saturday night in practice. The TC guys are complaining that My car goes into the corners "SO Fast". Then they are telling me I need to add weight to keep things fair. I run in a separate Class but drive with the touring cars. The run a couple of Mod turing cars in the same bunch too. I am wondering about traction and how it handles in the turns with 2 less cells. I will report back Sunday.

David Root
Old 04-16-2004, 05:05 AM   #516
Tech Adept

Sssupra85, yes of course, this last week-end, a friend tried a 4 cell/17t with a GPS and we only saw the sedan all the time behind him with a 10MPH at the end.....

Sino David ,you're right........Why i've stopped race sedan:
1 - A bit expensive and take too much time to set up....
2 - It's no more funny to meet sedan racer because all the time they've passed it on their car so no communication, no poker,no domino,no game, no drink...anything just set up and set up alll the racing day...
3 - I'm a student and i don't want to carry a F1 industry with me, too much stuff for a toy of car....and my dad sold his pick up for a Coupe...so no more place in the car
4 - 85% of racer who run sedan think is the best class.....Poor guys....
5 - Look a XRAY Evo2 Fact = 1 to 2 RC10L2 + IRS option and electronics and RTR

Me i hope and wish Pro10 come back early and faster as sedan did it because i do not want to invest in sedan stuff anymore....I'll buy a sedan but just for winter serie and with a minimum of stuff..
SPEEDx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 05:05 AM   #517
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've been reading every thing for the last month and not commenting. I will say the 4 cell is fast enough for me with the 19t motor.To please both side here in Florida we will be racing them at the state race in May. There will be two classes- 6 cell stock and 4 cell 19t. They will race together but be scored seperate. The narrow car I'm driving will have a Mercedes HPI 200mm TC body. I like the looks and it runs good the last time I raced it (2 years ago).The wide cars will run GTP bodies. By the way I do have some new wide bodies left from Bolink. I will be talking with them(now CDI) about coming back out with the wide and narrow version of the Porsche 962 very soon. Just go out and have some fun. This class will come back!
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 05:20 AM   #518
Tech Adept

Sssupra85, i've mistaked ,the GPS calculted a 25 to 32MPH and we did not have a max because the straight was so short and the GPS system need 1 point by meter so we expect to get more the next time...But the sedan was behind with their 12t and 17t...
SPEEDx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 01:55 PM   #519
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

with 4 cells and 9 turns my 10L3T was dead even with my 12L3 wtih 4 cells and 10 turns. This was on a med-short track on carpet. Both crushed times by mod sedans.
gacjr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 02:57 PM   #520
Tech Adept

I think I'm going to get one and see if I can spark some intrest in our club. going to be finishing the season w/my 1/12th, only 2 more races. I havent looked into it but what about Bodys?

Thanks, Dan
sssupra85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 06:43 PM   #521
Tech Elite

1. Anton Mark (Mark A.)
2. Stiles Tim (Taz_S)
3. Strasnick Mark
4. Strasnick Barry

Ok we need 11 more.

62 more days.

http://www.rc-cars.com/enats/2004%20...m%204-7-04.pdf
Old 04-18-2004, 07:32 AM   #522
Tech Addict

Default 4 cell Non Report

Sorry folks, I could not run 4 cells last night. Racing was great. I am close to A Main material and didn't want to mess with my car with only 3 races left. I placed 2n in the B out of 35 racers 7 in each Main. I had the only pan car there. In the first heat I broke the T-Bar, first one in a year, but still managed 24 laps. Second heat I made 26 laps, in the Main I was 26 5:01. Pretty close to 27. The winner of the A did it in 29.

In practice I tried a 230 mm sedan body. Not near enough stability from the body. I am going to see if i can find a Huge wing to put on the back and try it again. GTP body is the Only way to go.

In the US pan car champs, I was thinking of a Speedmerchant Street spec 10

http://www.teamspeedmerchant.com/car...speedspec.html

or 4 cells in the pantoura

http://www.teamcrc.com/teamcrc.cgi

should be good because they would be all in the back.

David Root

Last edited by David Root; 04-18-2004 at 07:40 AM.
Old 04-18-2004, 12:08 PM   #523
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

There is another race that will be taking place in Durham NC in August. Details are unclear at the moment but when they become clear I will let yall know

Last edited by trackdesigner71; 04-18-2004 at 12:19 PM.
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 08:15 PM   #524
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to James Y
Default Parts? Where?

I have an RC10LS and was wondering where I can get parts for it. Also, a manual would be nice.

I used to be into electric back in the 90's but just got back into RC and am running nitro touring. I'd like to bring this pan car back to spec...

First off, what electronics should I get? I already have a radio, just need batts, batt charger, esc, and motor (19t and stock).

Sorry about the noob questions, I'm just trying to get back into electric.
James Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 08:30 PM   #525
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to TOADYY
Default Re: Parts? Where?

Quote:
Originally posted by James Y
I have an RC10LS and was wondering where I can get parts for it. Also, a manual would be nice.

I used to be into electric back in the 90's but just got back into RC and am running nitro touring. I'd like to bring this pan car back to spec...

First off, what electronics should I get? I already have a radio, just need batts, batt charger, esc, and motor (19t and stock).

Sorry about the noob questions, I'm just trying to get back into electric.
James, post all of your questions over on this thread. It's dedicated to Pro10.

http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=145

FYI...it's located in the Oval, Larger Scales and More area.

"Pro 10, the only way to fly around the track!"
TOADYY is offline   Reply With Quote