R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-01-2004, 10:15 PM   #421
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Why socal may be the cheapest, they have the worst customer service. I ordered my kit on the 17th, paid in full with a credit card(according to my bank, my card WAS charged). One week later, I STILL didn't have my car, so I emailed and got no response.....so I called.....and got the run around. Its now March 1st, I have yet to here from them again and I STILL do not have my kit.....I am calling tomorrow and canceling my order.

Later EddieO
Old 03-01-2004, 10:15 PM   #422
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

4316 Black Aluminum 64 Pitch Pinion 16 Teeth $4.75
4317 Black Aluminum 64 Pitch Pinion 17 Teeth $4.75

http://www.robinsonracing.com/catalo...inion.html#pro

here is the part number for you.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:22 PM   #423
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to TOADYY
Default Re: gearing?

Quote:
Originally posted by tfirsching
i've been reading this thread since it started and it made me want to try 10th pan cars. i have been racing 12th scale for a few years and never really had the desire to try touring (especially since my home track never had a touring turnout until recently) so i thought pro 10 would be kinda fun. so i borrowed a CRC Pantoura and put it together to try it out. i would agree with jkerr that they are very drivable on a fairly small track with kinda narrow lane widths (60x36, 6ft lanes). my only problem is, it seems to be impossible to get a small enough gear on it with 6 cell stock. i got it geared 19 to 125 with about a 2.2 inch tire. thats about a 1.05 rollout, and its still overgeared for that size track. yeah, it is pretty fast, but it still feels overgeared. any bigger of a spur, and it will be on the ground, and my hobby store only carries pinions down to 18, and i dont think i've seen em any smaller than that anyway. only thing i can think of is i'm using the binary motor which seems to like a rediculously low gear to begin with. maybe i should try a paradox?

Tom
Try a P2K or Monster.

"Pro 10, the only way to fly around the track!"
TOADYY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 02:16 AM   #424

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by SPEEDx971
Pro10 good advices, sino i'm PM you soon and i got some new from France and they are ready to run. Sino it's more difficult in UK because they're only want to bring back Pro10 in 200mm.....I discuss so i need to wait..
Sino it's a good idea for the holland track.
Oh don't forget to tell me where do you find the carbon?
Eh have you got a nother Pro10 for me?
Thank lot
I got the carbon from www.carbonteam.de, good material for a low price. If you want, they can cut the carbon there for you. It costs a bit more of course!
Do you need another car? What car do you want? Asso, Corally, Academy, Yokomo, or do you want my custom car? My own car is not for sale! I have only one! I could help you design your own though. Just mail me!
Old 03-02-2004, 10:09 AM   #425
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer
Default Re: gearing?

Quote:
Originally posted by tfirsching
i've been reading this thread since it started and it made me want to try 10th pan cars. i have been racing 12th scale for a few years and never really had the desire to try touring (especially since my home track never had a touring turnout until recently) so i thought pro 10 would be kinda fun. so i borrowed a CRC Pantoura and put it together to try it out. i would agree with jkerr that they are very drivable on a fairly small track with kinda narrow lane widths (60x36, 6ft lanes). my only problem is, it seems to be impossible to get a small enough gear on it with 6 cell stock. i got it geared 19 to 125 with about a 2.2 inch tire. thats about a 1.05 rollout, and its still overgeared for that size track. yeah, it is pretty fast, but it still feels overgeared. any bigger of a spur, and it will be on the ground, and my hobby store only carries pinions down to 18, and i dont think i've seen em any smaller than that anyway. only thing i can think of is i'm using the binary motor which seems to like a rediculously low gear to begin with. maybe i should try a paradox?

Tom
At SoCal the common usage is (48p) an 84 spur and either 17 or 18 pinion and work from there.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:48 AM   #426
Tech Elite

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Evoracer
Ok, I've read this entire thread and I for one am stoked about the whole idea BUT...I have zero experience with pan cars !! I'm a huge believer that this hobby needs new blood so with that in mind......How does a pancar rookie get knowledge about these cars?? is there a good source of info about them?? I got confused about the narrow vs. wide , pro10 vs. pro12, 6 cell vs. 4 cell. It made me dizzy trying to follow the conversations you experienced pan car drivers were having !!! Imagine what a total rc rookie would feel like !!! [\quote]

I can imagine! Anton and Richard (thirdplace) took me under their wings very early in my on-road experience!!!

Quote:
So for me and the rest of the pan car newbs...If I want to get involved, what new cars should i be looking at ?? What used cars?? What chassis sizes are available and what are the differences?? If I race stock 27t TC or 19t with 6 cells now, what class pan car should I be looking at ?? Etc, Etc......
I wouldn't worry so much about the details. Get yourself a car! My preference is the 10L, LS or 10L2 - their wider and they tend to be a bit more stable (remember Pontiac's "Wider is Better"? There IS something to that) and more driver-friendly - in my opinion.

Run stock. Definitely! Stock. Yeah, Stock. . .

As for what batteries to run? Well - do you run TC's? If so, you run 6-cell right? Okay, it's easy to make a 6 cell saddle pack that you can still run in your TC. . .so I would do that. It's less expensive for YOU and easier for you to run - you can use the same plugs and configuration that you already have going. Just do that.

As far as motor - stick with a Monster or P2K. Simple, old-fashioned and they work well.

One other thing - and people don't usually mention it. . . USE A DIFFERENT PROFILE FROM TC!!!! These cars are MANEUVERABLE. . . When I started, I had to turn my dual rate DOWN. . .otherwise I would twitch myself right off the track. As I get/got better, I could turn it down some, but that took a while.

Also - DO NOT USE A FAST SERVO. . .just don't. We use a decent servo as typical. Not FAST (no 257, etc. ) If you use a fast servo - use your radio settings to TURN IT DOWN. . .WAY DOWN. . . especially as you learn to drive it, slow is okay. Well, not STOCK slow. . .but you're looking for about .15-.2 seconds (a 737 servo is what we tend to use. . .). anything faster and you're going to turn your car right off the track!!! It feels like the car turns before you THINK about turning. . .heh

Quote:
Just so I understand.....is this whole thread about setting up ONE competition exclusively for pan cars ??? or are you trying to revive the class??? The phrase " the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" kept coming to mind while reading all the posts. If this is all for 1 blowout contest, then I can see trying to make a variety of classes and making alot of allowances for all your wishes....BUT...If you're looking toward a long term goal of re-establishing the popularity of pancars, then you have to take into consideration how to make pancars fit the needs of a wide variety of users and , more importantly , supporters of the activity !!! IE: A few people already mentioned that 6cell cars may be to fast for many indoor or smaller outdoor tracks to operate SAFELY!! Also mentioned was the wider cars barely fitting on many tracks to operate SAFELY !!!
I realize that many drivers don't care about attracting new people to the hobby but if you're looking to re invent the pancar class, shouldn't you be thinking about WHERE you're going to be able to run them !!?? Limiting the choices just because a few existing drivers only care to go as fast as possible just doesn't make sense and makes the supporters of this effort look a bit short sighted !! Absolutely no offense meant.....I'm simply thinking about the bigger picture.
A lot has been made about safely driving these cars.

First - they weigh very little. I've been hit by a nitro (HURT), an electric sedan stock (ouch) mod sedan stock (OUCH) mod Pan Car (ouch) and stock Pan Car (ouch). Truthfully, since they weigh so little (around 40-50 ounces (compare to sedans. . .)) they don't really hit with a lot of power. Also - even though they tend to be wide, they don't actually push sedans around - rather they get PUSHED around.

Fun thing is, though, no matter their size, since we run GTP style bodies, they DO make great launching ramps. . .heh heh

Second - I've run these things on TINY tracks. both carpet and asphalt. Because they're so maneuverable, even tiny tracks are do-able. SoCal has had tracks with 4-6 foot lanes. We have done fine there. That's as small a lane as I've EVER seen - even a 1/12th scale track is usually at LEAST that big. . . We ran a (now closed) carpet track in San Diego that had lanes around that size. We ran fine.

What's the RC mantra we tell newbies? Slower is better? Well, it applies to small tracks. Slow down a bit, make the turn and fly by the Sedans. Anywhere a Sedan can go, we can go, even at 230mm.

Third - our goal is to bring National recognition to the class. One of our primary theories is that our class has languished due to a lack of sponsors and high profile drivers which is partially due to a lack of recognition. Yes, I do agree that there are other considerations, this is a huge generalization. BUT, if we can get some exposure and sponsorship with some GOOD profile drivers, it will be a big boost!

so, this is a big step to the revival of this class in America. Bringing new blood in is the ultimate goal, of course. Teaching new people to drive and getting them interested in this class is the reason why we are trying to get the exposure, etc. So - you're right, we need to make sure it's approachable.

But, to contrast with this, limiting classes will lock people OUT not bring people in. 6 Cell is perfectly safe. Even though SoCal has a net around the track, more Mod Sedans have hit it than Pan Cars. TD and Speedy have a very good comprehensive set of classes. Small enough to grasp, open enough to keep people in instead of limiting them out.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:56 PM   #427
Tech Elite

boomer can you more or less give me a ruff estimate on how many of the cali guys do you think will show i am trying to get some prelimanary guesstimates for tables and chairs aswell as tent i am trying to see the cost of the event and what i need to get from the sponsers. just a ball park on word of mouth ! pluss the final decision will be based on the prerigeristration.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:09 PM   #428
Tech Elite

Best way is to ask in the 1/10th Scale Thread. Anton will have a better read - I'm supposedly "Semi-Retired" (full time job, full time college, etc. . .)
Old 03-02-2004, 03:11 PM   #429
Tech Elite

cool
Old 03-03-2004, 05:40 AM   #430
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to SpeedyTC3 Send a message via AIM to SpeedyTC3 Send a message via MSN to SpeedyTC3 Send a message via Yahoo to SpeedyTC3

Quote:
Originally posted by EddieO
Why socal may be the cheapest, they have the worst customer service. I ordered my kit on the 17th, paid in full with a credit card(according to my bank, my card WAS charged). One week later, I STILL didn't have my car, so I emailed and got no response.....so I called.....and got the run around. Its now March 1st, I have yet to here from them again and I STILL do not have my kit.....I am calling tomorrow and canceling my order.

Later EddieO
That's really surprising as when I placed my order on a Monday, the kit arrived to my PO Box on that Friday.
SpeedyTC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 09:35 AM   #431
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default My order is mia

I also called the "shop" and they had no idea what I was talking about. They said they had a few kits in stock and that I should call the next day and they would have more info. They didn't ask me what my invoice was or ask my name. I ordered mine on the 19th and still nada. At least they didn't charge my debit card. I'm sure its a great store but I don't think they should promote the online shop with that kind of service. On a side note, Tower just jacked the price to 169.00.
Quote:
Originally posted by EddieO

Later EddieO

davesrctracks.net
tomdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 12:13 AM   #432
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkA
The 2004 ROAR Nationals Entry Form is out!

Note: you'll need Adobe Acrobat to view/print it.
OK already have it sign and stamp and put in the box tomorrow
Old 03-04-2004, 12:18 AM   #433
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Gotta like it....called, left message....no return call. Emailed, no response....sorry, but Socal Mailorder is a joke....

Later EddieO
Old 03-04-2004, 01:56 PM   #434
Tech Elite

Old 03-04-2004, 11:30 PM   #435
Tech Elite

ttt