R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-09-2004, 08:53 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Rob Hochberg
Default Tire Truer- Neccesity(sp)?

I was wondering people's opinions on tire truers for foam racing. I race on ozite and a very abrasive outdoor track, so I constantly find myself retruing every other week. Tires usually last about a month and a half with me, even with retruing. So my question is, do you think that I should buy one, so I have one to call my own, and to stop borrowing people's, and what is your opinion on the ability to adjust your tire size to gaining performance.
thanks
Rob Hochberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 08:56 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to WVRACER

i think if is really needed for a full time foam racer it does save you money in the longrun

my2cents

Rob
WVRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 09:13 AM   #3
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well, I can tell you after NOT bringing one to snowbirds with us....I think its a necessity! One of our guys had one, but didn't bring in it, thinking it would be easy to borrow one. We found one, but since the track was a 2 minute car ride away, it became a HUGE pain in the ass. I will be ordering one when I get home tomorrow.

Later EddieO
Old 02-09-2004, 09:22 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I bought the OFNA automatic one...bit pricy. The Integy one (like $120 or so) is manual but a VERY nice unit. And, the bit is nicer than the stock OFNA.

Blake

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 10:06 AM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Well, having a faom tire truer is not really a money thing or must have thing............you have to ask yourself are you serious enough to improve your lap time by 1/2 second each or even 1 second faster then others...?

Since you are running outdoor.........foam is not going to last you as long as running indoor carpet, and you said you do TRUE your tires after run, so I think it is worth it to have your own.

But for me and others, the real reason to have a good truer is we have to true tires when it is brand new to 62 or 60 mm (depends on the track condition).........it is all $$$ (not of the truer, it is on the foams) and no foams will last more then a day for us....but the trade off is, you gain performance.........

From what you said, since you are running your foam brand new and foam will last you a month....I don't think you should buy one, or, if you can get those cheap one, then it is worth it....

If you are asking for seomthing like HUDY PRO, $450 for us, then, it is a little pricy for you........we have 6 ppl to chips in to get one, so, $75 each for years of running, that make all the sence.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 11:11 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to lastplace

check out this Integy model, with TC arbors under $200, we added the Hudy carbide bit and like it very much

http://integy.automated-shops.com/cg...53104071670.32
lastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 01:30 PM   #7
Tech Regular

I refuse to buy the Integy one, I borrowed that one from someone at the track before, and it destroyed a brand new set of 12th scale rears I had just bought. I was pissed. I am planning on buying the HUDY, the budget universal model, around $200, but I have a deal that might go through. I really like that one, it's nice and small and quiet. I think I will end up buying that one, and tapping the savings account later this season for batts and more tires!
Old 02-09-2004, 01:47 PM   #8
Tech Addict

the hudy is a nice unit, it's the lowest cost tire truer in the hudy line but it gets the job well done
Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 02:15 PM   #9
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Hochberg
I refuse to buy the Integy one, I borrowed that one from someone at the track before, and it destroyed a brand new set of 12th scale rears I had just bought. I was pissed. I am planning on buying the HUDY, the budget universal model, around $200, but I have a deal that might go through. I really like that one, it's nice and small and quiet. I think I will end up buying that one, and tapping the savings account later this season for batts and more tires!
how did it destroy your tires?
disaster999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 02:24 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to etzkev

Yeah, I have found it to be a necessity also. That is why I will be getting mine in the 11th, because I already ordered it a bit ago! It is the integy one we have been talking about. You can find them for under $140 at www.integy.com , www.speedtechrc.com , and www.horizonhobby.com .
etzkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 02:24 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to etzkev

Quote:
Yes, I am also curious as to see how it ruined your tires???

-etzkev
etzkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 03:30 PM   #12
Tech Regular

the arbor or the drive motor must have been misaligned or something, because it trued my tires down at about a 40 degree angle, if i was looking at it from the top, the tire was true, just on a compltely different axis! It was basically coned really bad, so I ended up borrowing my friend's hudy universal
and trued them almost to the rim, guess I can get a run or 2 out of them. So it didn't really destroy my tires persay, just didn't true and i had to correct it on a hudy.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:35 PM   #13
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

Glad you liked my Hudy truer yesterday Rob.

And no, I'm not selling it to you! Stop asking.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:00 PM   #14
Regional Moderator

Quote:
the arbor or the drive motor must have been misaligned or something, because it trued my tires down at about a 40 degree angle, if i was looking at it from the top, the tire was true, just on a compltely different axis! It was basically coned really bad, so I ended up borrowing my friend's hudy universal
and trued them almost to the rim, guess I can get a run or 2 out of them. So it didn't really destroy my tires persay, just didn't true and i had to correct it on a hudy.
well..it seems like a set up problem nothing really big. just that its your first time using it and it wasnt really set right
Old 02-09-2004, 04:01 PM   #15
Regional Moderator

ive used a friends ofna truer on my yokomo 12th rims. the arbor for that truer was really screwed up! basically you have to slam the stupid rim on to the arbor and press on it really hard to get them flush! its even worse with CRC rims!