R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-09-2004, 04:03 PM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have the Integy one and it works great. I have only used it on 10th scale tires. They say you can use it on rubber tires also.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:41 PM   #17
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to lastplace

It's your set up not the truer... The truer has an adjustment for coning tires in or out, it's on the bottom right side. All the hot shoes used the Integy truer at our track last weekend and liked the unit.

Last edited by lastplace; 02-09-2004 at 04:50 PM.
lastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 06:23 AM   #18
Tech Adept

I've seen the Ofna arbors to be marginal. The Hudy ones are the best on the market. I have the 'low budget' hudy model. Frankly, I wouldn't buy anything else. It's small, cuts perfect. Automatic might be nice, but they're large and require a power supply. Unless you're doing 1/8th scale tires, you don't need the larger unit unless you NEED automatic. The Ofna auto is a better deal, with the Hudy arbors.

And yes, if you race foam, a truer is a necessity.
spyderx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 09:00 AM   #19
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Rob Hochberg

I bought my Hudy Universal this morning at 6:30, I'm ordering the hudy arbor from ashford this afternoon, unless anyone knows of a better price? it's 28.95. (touring car arbor with alu. locknut.)
Rob Hochberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 09:22 AM   #20
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Hochberg
I bought my Hudy Universal this morning at 6:30, I'm ordering the hudy arbor from ashford this afternoon, unless anyone knows of a better price? it's 28.95. (touring car arbor with alu. locknut.)
that price is very decent
i got mine in HK for around $20USD, but if you factor in shipping and tax it may cost more, so i'd say grab that one
Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 09:52 AM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Rob: Based on my experience I'll have to side with the others and say that the problem you experienced was related to setup and not to the Integy truer.

On a personal note, I was truing my 1/12th wheels/tires on a friend's Hudy Universal and the truing was way off! Well as it turns out, the truer I borrowed was supplied with an Ofna arbor and the arbor caused the problem. I bought a Hudy arbor to use on my friend's truer and it worked perfectly for all my other 1/12th wheels.

Having said that, I'm about to buy an Integy truer from Speedtech R/C (not the same model as the one talked about earlier). My feeling is that a tire truer is basically a motor that provides a means of mounting a tire on it to be cut by a cutter. If the motor is strong, and the motor shaft is square to the cutter that should be all one needs to cut a tire. The Hudy is very nice, but I don't feel that it's necessary to spend that much money.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 09:56 AM   #22
Tech Master

BTW, unless Hudy has changed their options, you'll need to purchace an optional ($25 ???) cutting tool before you can true smaller wheels (1/12th scale wheels). At least that used to be the case.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:18 PM   #23
Tech Regular

I won't be needing the larger tool holder, I decided to sell my 12th scale stuff, as I hardly ever run it anyways. If anyone wants a trinity SB12SE, let me know. Geppetto, weren't you the one who had the same hudy truer a few months ago? I emailed you about an old thread you had up for sale of the truer.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:32 PM   #24
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Darn Rob you should have talked with Doc as he racers down your way. He should have a nice Maxmod he stole from me that he could sell you.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 02:01 PM   #25
Tech Regular

I KNEW that was coming! LOL! I believe your name was Chris? I'm Rob, I think we met at the ORL race at limerick, you were pitting next to John, and I came over a lot to bother him, and borrow his truer, lol. I had the TC3 with the red/blue/green/yellow body, I'm pretty sure we have met though.

Last edited by Rob Hochberg; 02-10-2004 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:10 PM   #26
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

LOL - That's Brian. Chris was his friend that beat him
Old 02-10-2004, 03:49 PM   #27
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Hochberg
I KNEW that was coming! LOL! I believe your name was Chris? I'm Rob, I think we met at the ORL race at limerick, you were pitting next to John, and I came over a lot to bother him, and borrow his truer, lol. I had the TC3 with the red/blue/green/yellow body, I'm pretty sure we have met though.
Sorry Rob I just had to say that. Me and Chris don't mind letting guys use the tire machines we have as long as they come back. It was fun to run at Limierick with you guys. If everything goes right Me and Chris will go to DC Ultra Tracks to run the ORL with John Fontaine again. Not sure about my work and the Tamiya TCS race at RCO.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 05:59 PM   #28
Tech Regular

That would be cool to run with you guys again, I'd like to go up to RCO one time too, so John, if you go, you think you could drive me? LMK. wyd, I see in your sig you have a kawi ZX6RR? How do you like it? I'm partial to Hondas myself.. I'm getting a CR125R, and my dad and brother are each getting moto X bikes too. then I may possibly get an F4i in a year or two.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:51 PM   #29
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by disaster999
ive used a friends ofna truer on my yokomo 12th rims. the arbor for that truer was really screwed up! basically you have to slam the stupid rim on to the arbor and press on it really hard to get them flush! its even worse with CRC rims!

Yeah, the ofna arbor and blade suck. The Hudy bit and Arbor are on back order or I would have it.

Not sure why the Ofna 12th scale arbor sucks, but I have read on several forums where people had issues with them.

I wonder if the guy that you borrow the ofna truer from is the same guy that you forgot to get 40's for!
Smalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 06:17 AM   #30
Tech Master

Quote:
I won't be needing the larger tool holder, I decided to sell my 12th scale stuff, as I hardly ever run it anyways. If anyone wants a trinity SB12SE, let me know. Geppetto, weren't you the one who had the same hudy truer a few months ago? I emailed you about an old thread you had up for sale of the truer.
Rob Hochberg Yes that was me, however, that was more than a few months ago. Actually, the truer that I've been "bumming" off my friend, is the very same Hudy Universal that I sold to him. (Don't ask, it's a long story)