R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-10-2004, 06:18 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Yeah, I had you signature in mind !
Old 02-10-2004, 08:41 AM   #17
Tech Adept

Wait a minute...

Where did these differacnes in lap times come from? How long is the wire in that car?

I don't have the numbers, but the differance between 14 guage and 12 guage wiring in our RC cars is really small. I would almost bet that if you reduced the length of your 14 gauge wireing by one or two inches, it would more then make up for the differance in resistance between 14 and 12 gauge wire.

Here's my phylosphy when it comes to choosing wire size... If the wire is more then 4 inches long I might consider using 12 gauge, anything less then 4 inches almost always winds up 14 gauge on my car... Personaly I'd rather have 13 gauge but it's hard to come buy... Keep your wires as short as possible, but it's really nice to be able to easily work with the wire. 14 guage is really flexible and easy to work with, I ussualy can wire things shorter using 14 gauge simply because it's more flexiable...

If your going to tell us how much slower our cars will be... give us some real numbers... Ohms, Inches of wire, average current, etc...
DynoMoHum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 09:22 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Default Wire size and lengths

Guys;

Wire size is always determined by the maximum AMPs that will going through the wire(s) and the length of the run.

Because of the relatively low cost and short lengths of wire used in our R/C Cars, we tend to use wire diameters larger than what is really necessary.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 10:14 AM   #19
Tech Apprentice

Generally thicker is better. It produces lower resistance and can pass more current without heating up.

RB
RecordBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 04:19 PM   #20
Regional Moderator
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

The total wire length I used was 16" from battpos to motor and esc to cap and back to battneg.

Current draw 30amps.

These were just quick and dirty calculations that assumed that the % drop in voltage corresponded directly to a % increase in lap time.

As I stated before, there are a million variables to consider. Many of which are much larger in magnitude than this.

Howvever, the effect is there. attach whatever amount of importance you want to the magnitude of the numbers.

For me, the difference is negligible. For a good driver that is a fraction of a second out of first, it might be important.
Attached Files
File Type: txt speed loss.txt (1.2 KB, 93 views)
petzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 08:19 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

16"? When was the last time you wired up your car with 16" of wire?

Even on the XRay which uses more wire than most TC's your still only using maybe 5"

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 08:34 PM   #22
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by TSR6
Would you rather pump 100 gallons of water through a garden hose, or a 6" PVC pipe?

Thicker = less resistance. Bigger the pipe, the easier it flows.
But what if you put really little water through a big pipe? It flows slowly.
Tek Nickal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 10:15 PM   #23
Tech Master

There may be many times more resistance with 16g wire compared to 12g. But since either one is practically nonexistant, IT JUST DOESNT MATTER. But thats ok if someone wants to spend alot of time trying to gain speed where it isnt. By all means go ahead Ill be out on the track practicing while theyre trying to rewire thier car. If you really want to improve the wire in your car get wire with more strands to it. There is a gain to be had there.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:46 AM   #24
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
16"? When was the last time you wired up your car with 16" of wire?

Even on the XRay which uses more wire than most TC's your still only using maybe 5"
are you measuring each segment as less then 5" or the entire circuit?

You have to measure the entire circuit. Any resistance between the positive terminal of the battery and the negative terminal contributes to the overall voltage drop. Unless I am too old to rembember my basic circuits class in college, R1+R2+R3=Total Resistance for resistance in series.

and 5" sounds unreasonably low as the distance from the pos to the neg of a side by side pack is close to that.

Last edited by petzl; 02-11-2004 at 04:25 AM.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:53 AM   #25
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeediePHATT
There may be many times more resistance with 16g wire compared to 12g. But since either one is practically nonexistant, IT JUST DOESNT MATTER. But thats ok if someone wants to spend alot of time trying to gain speed where it isnt. By all means go ahead Ill be out on the track practicing while theyre trying to rewire thier car. If you really want to improve the wire in your car get wire with more strands to it. There is a gain to be had there.
yes more strands = less resistance

1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 = 1/Rtotal for resistance in parallel.

As I stated earlier, for me the effect is negligible. then again so is the minimal effect of milling out a chassis to save 25g of weight, etc.

IF you can drive at the limit of the car and IF you don't make mistakes, making lots of small improvements will eventually add up to a measureable one. IF you are like most of us and never drive a perfect race, on missed corner can negate all the effort.[U]

Last edited by petzl; 02-11-2004 at 04:38 AM.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:14 AM   #26
Tech Adept

with AWG, it goes down for thicker wire and below 0 is 00 and 000 and so on.
tc3rookie is offline   Reply With Quote