R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   car stand (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/3308-car-stand.html)

pisnonvtec 02-25-2002 02:16 PM

car stand

1: Anybody know of any good car workstands for 1/10 scale cars?
links would be cool!!

2: Also what charger is the best as far as options & quality goes?
This will be used to charge my 3000hvs and tx batts.
Thanks

Darkseid 02-25-2002 02:30 PM

I use a Schumacher Pit Dude car stand. I tried a Duratrax stand once, but the poll that the stand rotates on, seized up inside the bushing it was supposed to rotate in. In other words, it doesn't spin anymore. I have been very happy with the Pit Dude so far. You can find it at Schumacher's site. www.racing-cars.com

I use a Duratrax Intellipeak Digital Pulse Charger for all my charging needs. Regular and Tx batteries. NimH and NicD batteries.

If your looking for a really high end charger, the Competition Electronics Pit bull, Integy 16x5 and 16x9, MillineumPro, GM VIS Commander are all chargers to consider.

pisnonvtec 02-25-2002 02:55 PM

Darkseid,
Thanks for the reply. I had no luck finding it on Schumacher's web site, But I will continue to search.
Thanks again.

TSR6 02-25-2002 03:00 PM

If you have a TC3, or a XXX-S, both Dynamite and Trinity make foam car stands. The "Pit Dude" is also a cool choice.

As far as Chargers go, Darksieds list has some of the more popular "race quality" chargers. I personally use the CE PitBull, and love it.

pisnonvtec 02-25-2002 03:12 PM

TSR6,
I have an Xray!! I will look into it though. Does it have a swivel
base?
Thanks

CRASH 02-25-2002 04:17 PM

Xpress makes a nice car stand that swivels and also has little boxes built in for parts.

As far as chargers go depends on how much you want to spend.
I have a Millenium and a Pro-Trak. The Pro-Trak chargers, discharges and does receiver packs. The Turbo 35 is also really sweet.

www.rc-xpress.com
www.pro-trak.co.uk
www.competitionelectronics.com

marvi 02-25-2002 04:20 PM

i saw one made by kawada (i think) that has a built in cooling fan (powered by a 6-cell pack) but im not sure if kawada is readily available in the US.

both the novak millenium pro and CE pitbull are great chargers. one of the best is the CE Turbo 35 but it costs a lot more.

TSR6 02-25-2002 04:28 PM

Originally posted by pisnonvtec
TSR6,
I have an Xray!! I will look into it though. Does it have a swivel
base?
Thanks

No, The car stands i listed are foam car stands.

pisnonvtec 02-25-2002 04:28 PM

I think I am going to pick up Duratrax Stand after work. LHS has 1 left in stock for really cheap.. You can't beat 10.99 !! Now I just have to decide
on the Charger.. I want to be able to charge both the 2/3aa's
in my micro rs4 and the 3000hv's in my Xray..

Speedo 02-25-2002 07:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you can afford it, I would recomend a CE Turbo 35. This charger is simply awesome, not only can you program 3 charge modes, it has a great voltage sensor, and you can run a motor off it. This means you can run your lathe, brush serrator, or just break in brushes without having a battery pack. It even gives you amp draw so you can use it as a sort of dyno, and motor volts are settable down to one hundredth.

Another handy feature is the ability to discharge at up to 30 amps, you can use this to see how much runtime you have after a race, or use the cycle function to see how well the cellls are performing.

If you don't want to pay that much though, and just want a charger that charges, I would look at the Novak Millenium Pro. My Dad has one and it is a nice charger. One feature I especially like is the ability to actually name the charge modes, eg. 3000HV or TRANSMITTER.

As for car stand, I made my own using a piece of thin wood, a dremel, some rubber feet and some film containters, LOL

Attached is a pic.

Speedo

Jack_L 02-25-2002 08:22 PM

I use the one from OFNA.
;)
I used to use a roll of duckt Tape... :o

Racin Rev 02-25-2002 08:59 PM

I knew someone who had the identical problem to Darkseid with the duratrax stand. A bunch of us tried everything we could think of but that sucker was stuck!
:eek:

Moral of story: just say no to Duratrax!:ha:

Kraig 02-26-2002 05:47 AM

I used to have a car stand from racetech but it didn't survive the trip back from the snowbirds because of the way I packed it.:cry: Now it is broken in 3 but it was my own fault. I usually found myself just setting my car on a box that I have that stored my little parts.

As for chargers the new Reedy Quasar Pro is on it's way to the distributor's so it should be available soon. Here is a list of features.

*120V AC/15V DC Input
* 0.1-6.5 Amp charge rate
*4-8 cells output
*50-6000mah Battery Capacity
*Discharge rate up to 20.0 amput up to 7.2 volts
*Delta-peak detection cutoff, 2mV-20mV
*Voltage Protection
*AC fuse protection built in

You can reserve one at www.kthobbies.com if you like, (shameless plug) Don't worry you don't pay until the item has shipped.

blueboy 02-26-2002 08:44 AM

I have a great stand that was custom built by my dad from aluminium and anadized blue to match my TC3, but i don't know how to post pics can anyone help please?!
It has a turntable that swivels on ball bearings, a parts tray and the best bit is the cable that allows it to be plugged in to a 12V car battery to run the motor cooling fan and the output points on the back for charger/soldering iron etc.

Darkseid 02-26-2002 09:09 AM

Racin Rev: Its good to know I wasn't the only one who had that problem. I wouldn't say "say no to Duratrax" though. I got one of their chargers and have been very, very impressed with its price to performance ratio.

pisnonvtec: But, I would say no to that car stand. Your getting a deal at $10.99, but I got an even better deal at $10 even. A great deal that is until the thing seized up. Their are some great rotating stands out there if thats what you want, but I strongly reccomend passing on the Duratrax one. Or at least make sure you keep your receipt showing date of purchase, just in case you need to do any warrenty claims. Without a receipt, Duratrax wouldn't do anything about my stand's failure.

But don't dismiss the foam stands though. Its amazing how useful the simple piece of foam can be!:D

Even though most companies do over charge for what are basically over sized foam bumpers! But then again, look at what they charge for foam bumpers!!!:ha: :ha: :ha: