R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-08-2004, 11:31 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Traction Sauce Toxicity. Is there a solution?

When, oh when will we start to use odour free traction compounds. These highly addictive addatives we use right now are down right toxic. I keep wondering where these god awful head aches come from and I know it's not just my lousy driving. It also accounts for some of the brain dead looks I see at the track. We'r all spun out on dope and don't know it !! The Brits have got into odour free events and as it's a level playing field, there should be no real reason why we shouldn't start treating our brains and bodies a little better. It might even release a few more smiles at the end of the day.
My plea goes out to track owners and all vaguely eco concious race fiends, can we get it together before all five of my brain cells fuse into a jelly .
The Fog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 05:06 PM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

The first few times I raced at a paragon indoor track it made my eyes water like crazy and gave me head aches. *But* after a few weeks racing there it doesn't bother me anymore, I don't even notice it now.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 05:53 PM   #3
Regional Moderator

Thought this link might be interesting to those concerned about Paragons toxicity as compared to other rc chemicals.

http://www.chemistry.ohio-state.edu/...c/Paragon.html

Last edited by petzl; 02-08-2004 at 06:23 PM.
petzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 06:13 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

hey, i have magnum force 2, which is like cherries. I use tq red sauce, which has a funny smell too, and guys at my track use tq and paragon, the old style stuff, very toxic. But think of this, hey, look at nitro, that stuff gave me head aches, tire sauce at motor cleaner makes me happy, and keeps me from the vending machine(gives me a little taste(i don't eat it, the smell just makes my taste buds happy.) Nitro is worse, and i race at a track were there isn't a rubber class...
Stock sedan-foam
mod sedan-foam
stock 12th-foam
stock truck-foam
mod truck-foam
Everyone uses sauce to.
pro3racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 07:14 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to R/C Anonymous

sauce is good on tacos
Old 02-08-2004, 07:43 PM   #6
Tech Addict

oil of wintergreen is active ingredient in paragon ground effects-has anybody ever tried citrus oil? citrus oil is used as a degreaser so it will break down the rubber and make it tacky. i dont know,just a thought.
sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 09:18 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Default Re: Traction Sauce Toxicity. Is there a solution?

Quote:
Originally posted by sparkyboyo
When, oh when will we start to use odour free traction compounds. .
that chemical break-down link has stated that odourless does not necessarily mean non-hazardous...so i actually think that the odour helps us to identify the presence of these bad chemicals...
help..i'm addicted already...
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 09:34 PM   #8
Regional Moderator

exactly, odor really has nothing to do with toxicity.

apple pie has a really strong smell but is by no means toxic.

Ammonia odor will drive you out of the room long before the concentrations reach toxic levels.

Formaldehyde will kill you long before the odor becomes unpleasant.

Pay close attention to the quote at the top of the linked page.

even water will kill you if you drink enough of it. it has happened.

any chemical that volatizes easily should be used with good ventilation. Maybe we need fume hoods in the pit areas.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:27 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Hi petzl,

I totally agree with you, and congratulations on your good work.
I've seen people washing engines with methanol with bare hands ... great!! Using whatever chemicals with no protection, smelling it to feel if it's dangerous, well...
And using acetone sprays smoking at the same time.
I believe human nature is strong!!

I think it's time to start pressure so manufactures put the CORRECT products on labels, and it's also time to make efforts with EFRA and similar in the US to protect us, the people who use those products.
gearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 04:05 AM   #10
Regional Moderator

I agree that work should always move towards safer, more environmentally friendly products.

One thing to keep in mind though when looking at MSDS sheets, Niosh, osha and other exposure limits, they are for a specific time frame.

for example,

A TWA (time weighted average) is for an 8 hour exposure with a 16 hour rest period. If the exposure time is less, the permissible exposure is higher.

A STEL (short term exposure limit) is for 15 minutes

Some chemicals will metabolize, be passed through the body, or expired via breathing. These are the ones you have to worry less about. The ones that are persistant in the body such as silicone and others are where you can get into trouble over time. for example. lead does not readily leave the body and repeated exposure will eventlually cause problems. How many of us still use lead solder at the track and eat pizza with those unwashed hands.?

btw, lead is most dangerous with females of child bearing age. So, if we want to keep females in the sport, we need to keep them safe.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:28 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

wd-40 does the same thing to tires that degreaser's do, but the wd-40 does it better, it actually softens the rubber, if you left a tire to soak in wd-40 it would disolve the tire eventually. wd-40 is very good at cleaning up the tires on your 1:1 cars.
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 07:13 AM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Sean - TQ Mod, TQ Blue and TQ 8 use citrus oils as their base. You can also use Simple Green soap on rubber tires.
slots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 08:09 AM   #13
Regional Moderator

the track director told me that the oderless traction compound is more toxic that the wintergreen stuff or any other oder traction compound. they have some chemical that once you touch it it goes straight in your system!
disaster999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 12:59 PM   #14
Tech Elite

I don't think that the Wintergreen oil is the toxic ( or that toxic for that matter) component in the majority of traction compounds. Wintergreen essential oil, which is derived from the stem of wintergreen plants acctually has some properties similar to asperine, as in analgesic properties. So, the wintergreen may acctually HELP the headaches.

The chemicals they are using are something like Laquer thinner or Xylene (sp?, pronouced zy-lean). NOW that stuff is BAD.
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 02:13 PM   #15
Tech Rookie

Send a message via ICQ to djjarjar
Default Re: Paragon

I think Paragon smells kinda good.
djjarjar is offline   Reply With Quote