R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-07-2004, 09:26 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default ESC Mosfets

Hi I'm planning to do some test with an old ESC, please, could anybody tell me what are the newest mosfets, or wich kind uses the Quantum, or some top ESC.
Thank you!!!!!!
martinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 12:16 AM   #2
Suspended

Cool MOSFET Type

Several years ago GM, Tekin and others started using a Surface Mount type transistor (V-FET was one such name) that was much smaller, lighter and more efficient than previous offerings. I don't know if there are any FET's that are newer than those. I know M.Troniks uses something called a Gen-R-Fet and Novak uses a TO262 in their GT7. These may be the same thing everybody uses, just named differently. Over the past 4-5 years the emphasis has been on small, lightweight and feature packed speedos. They may be more efficient and pack in a few more features, but I don't think they can hold up to the stress of high current applications nearly as well as the older Tekin and Novak speedos. Hope this answers a few questions!
tmeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 11:53 PM   #3
Tech Elite

An electronician at our club, have replaced the FET's in an LRP Sprinter - now it handles 6 turns motors without any trouble.

Unfortunately, he's left the club, so I cant help with much details. However, I do remember that the FET's were in TO-220 cases and that they had very small raise time (dont sure it's the right name, but they were extremely fast switching on-of-on-of). I remember he told that that was one of the most critical parameters.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:54 PM   #4
Tech Elite

By the way: These FET's were relative cheap - something like 5-10$ each.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:39 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Just out of interest are these smaller MOSFETS more durable than the larger style MOSFTEs?
Old 02-10-2004, 04:20 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Default Thank you

Thank you I will try to find this mosfets, Also could anybody post more mosfets ID names SMD if it's possible to look for?

martinm is offline   Reply With Quote