R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-07-2004, 05:51 PM   #16
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to SpeedyTC3 Send a message via AIM to SpeedyTC3 Send a message via MSN to SpeedyTC3 Send a message via Yahoo to SpeedyTC3

$15 1st class
$23 2 classes
$30 3 classes

Practice is like $7 1st hour and $3 each hour thereafter.

For me, it's all free!!! I am the race director there.
SpeedyTC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 05:52 PM   #17
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Rory
you guys pay soo much to race!!!

in melbourne it's $10 to race, $5 if you're a member of the club (yearly membership is like $50 i think), and practice is free any day

those prices are in AUD, equal about $7, $3, and $35 respectively in USD
that is what I was thinking

we get screwed in the ass for the cost of buying our gear but track prices are really good,

Castle hill club: AUD$8 per night to race, that is about USD$6.10
Eastern Creek Club: AUD$10 for the whold day, USD$7.50
Team Tekin , ESC's, motors,
Elangears, Chargers,
Rod M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 05:55 PM   #18
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

$15 Standard Race Fee
$10 Student Race Fee
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 06:01 PM   #19
Tech Fanatic

i love that, i should go down to scottys more often, i still got 2 more years of student left, lol.
pro3racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 06:09 PM   #20
Tech Adept

hmm..
First class: $10
Second class: $4
Third class: $2

Yearly membership: $25 per person, or $40 for a family.

Oh yeah... thats Canadian money

http://members.shaw.ca/rlweb <--- TVRCRC Kamloops B.C.
RL Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 08:17 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

$7.50 Australian dollars, up until the end of last year it was $5!
Bugle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 08:17 PM   #22
Regional Moderator

Nashrcracer, thanks for raising our practice rates from $5 to $10. Next time you come back I will make sure and collect the over due amount.

Our track charges $5 for practice and $12 for the 1st, $10 for the second and $8 for the third class. If you need a transponder, it is a one time fee of $3, regardless of the number of classes.

I'm sure everyone is looking for the least expensive place to run and I can't blame them for that. But maybe we ought to start a thread on what it really costs to run a track...... It's hard to believe the costs sometimes. But that is off subject.
volav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 09:00 PM   #23
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to lazyboy
S&N Trackside hobbies and raceway
weekend:
race: $15 first class($13 with student diescount)
practice: $6

Weekday:
race:10 first class
Practice:6
Trackside hobbies
lazyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 09:19 PM   #24
Regional Moderator
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Actually, how much it costs to run a track was on my mind when I started this thread.

It kinda flowed from the cost of parts at various stores both online and lhs, cost of labor, cost of developing and maintaing the facilities, etc.

It is interesting to see lhs sponsored tracks having rates as low as clubs like marcca.

I am not opposed to shop owners making a profit. A business is a business. I don't work to barely break even either. I also don't believe that the lowest price supplier should always get my business. Some business relationships and levels of service are worth a bit more.

Just thought it would be interesting to hear what others pay around the world.
petzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 09:57 PM   #25
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

when you think about it $10-$15 for an entire day of racing is probably the best deal in the entire R/C hobby. Think about how much the scoring system costs and someone has to run the races and keep up the track and so on and so on. Be glad for what you have, my local track I had back in N.J. was one of the best on the east coast and closed up due to rising costs, long live Englishtown!
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 10:09 PM   #26
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Most of the track I run at vary between $10-$15. Entry fees are one thing I don't mind at all paying for. I know how hard it is financially to keep a track going. I've seen a lot of places go down because they just couldn't afford to keep the track open. Scoring, RENT (especially here in Southern Cali) insurance, it adds up so fast. One track I race at I've been told has to pay his insurace based on how many entries there are!
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 04:40 AM   #27
Regional Moderator

Which brings us to the dilema, If a track owner wants to keep costs down, he/she has to develop the track in a low rent area and rule with an iron fist to avoid accidents that could raise insurance rates. Inventory levels must also be controlled to keep from having slow moving items from adding cost via lack of cash flow. Ironically these are the very things that we all complain about.

Owners like scotty do a great job of walking the line. My hat is off to them.

I guess if you compare it to 7-8 bucks for a two hour movie, the prices are not out of line.

Then again, it isn't the individual line item costs that get you in this hobby, it's the accumulation at the end of an evening. I know every time I go to the track, I drop between 50 and 100 bucks. Of course that may be due to the magnets in the front of my car that seem determined to hit every board on the track

Last edited by petzl; 02-08-2004 at 04:50 AM.
Old 02-08-2004, 05:02 AM   #28
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to SpeedyTC3 Send a message via AIM to SpeedyTC3 Send a message via MSN to SpeedyTC3 Send a message via Yahoo to SpeedyTC3

We have a 12,500 sq. ft. building. Of course the track takes up the majority of it with a 106X48 carpet track, however, one thing that was understood from the onset of moving our location from a 5,000 sq. ft. building was that the retail hobby shop should be making enough money to carry the entire facility. Alot of shop/track owners go into business thinking that the track will be the money maker. Wrong. A track makes very little if any money. At our facility, the race fees go into the maintenace and cost of electricity and heat for the facility, store excluded, and it shows as we have a really nice track and the pits are very comfortable with plenty of space for everyone. The track should not be construed as a means of income for profit. Bad move and it has been proven time and time again.

Just my $.02

Click
here for pictures of our track.
Old 02-08-2004, 05:18 AM   #29
Regional Moderator

Very nice setup.

Do you feel that having the track has added to your revenue from parts? I would think that it would. One of the justifications I use when I pay the higher prices at the track for parts is the convenience premium. Most of my purchases tend to be either because I broke something or impulse related. I see something I want and since it is there and I can have it immediately, I buy it. On most items of this nature, if I have to order it, 80% of the time, I won't buy it.

As for Race fees, the higher they are, the less likely I am to make an impulse buy.
Old 02-08-2004, 05:40 AM   #30
Tech Apprentice

Oh, absolutely. I think that to be a given. If you have a track with an onsite hobby shop, then the store is going to be making a share of it's revenue from parts. Not to mention the convenience factor. In my opinion, this is where most R/C hobby shops make their profits from. The parts. A shop does not make hardly anything on a kit or say an upper end charger because the cost is pretty high from the distributor as it is. I believe one of the ways LHS's could lower costs is if manufacturers were to deal directly with the LHS and not have distributors such as Great Planes/ Horizon Hobby & etc. But it may be too tedious for manufacturers to do business that way. The manufacturer is trying to cut costs as well by not having a full call center loaded with people 24hrs. a day just to fill orders.
Sorry for getting off topic guys, just helping shed some light on the reasons why you have Pay 'For Race' and 'Club' style tracks that exist. To run any kind of organized racing is going to cost money. Wether it be a dedicated facility, parking lot or dirt lot. And it would be too much for people to expect the organizer/owner to dig far into his own pocket to dish out the cash. He/She would'nt survive for long this way.