R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-21-2009, 03:07 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Need help setting up Tekin RS for VTA

Looking for any assistance I can get in setting up my Tekin RS for Trans-AM. I'm using the Novak Ballistic 21.5. Currently the motor is set at standard timing and the RS is set with the standard settings. I do have the v200 software, but haven't messed with it yet.

It'll be run on a medium size carpet track. I'd like some suggestions on where to start out for the Hotwire settings and the physical motor timing.

Clunker
clunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clunker View Post
Looking for any assistance I can get in setting up my Tekin RS for Trans-AM. I'm using the Novak Ballistic 21.5. Currently the motor is set at standard timing and the RS is set with the standard settings. I do have the v200 software, but haven't messed with it yet.

It'll be run on a medium size carpet track. I'd like some suggestions on where to start out for the Hotwire settings and the physical motor timing.

Clunker
To play fair:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Had a pretty good day of testing today. We went in a different direction than I have been talking about.

*After thinking about it, my theme lately has been "turn that s*** down!!" By that i mean reduce the boost, timing advance, etc. This worked remarkably well. After playing around, it looks like an SPX on profile 1 runs about the same as 10* advance on the other controllers. We put 10* on a SpeedPassion 1.1 and a Tekin RS, and the speeds down the straight were almost identical. No turbo boost was used, only 10* of advance. The motors were maxed out on physical timing. The cars were very, very close on speed on all parts of the track.

I want to try this with KO, Novak, other lrps, but I think this may wind up being a very good solution. I recommend you give this a try to see if it works for you.

*We tried several different FDRs. The strangest part about this was that the cars actually stayed at the same lap time or got faster. It actually turned out that it helped with the timing situation, as it illustrated that the LRP had some timing even on the #1 setting. The LRP gained an advantage as we went numerically higher on the FDR when the SP was set to 0* timing.

The other thing was that while the cars were slower on the straight, they picked up a lot of time in the infield as we went up on gear. I think that's why the difference in ESCs becomes obvious as you go to larger tracks, especially asphalt. The advantage is pronounced there.

The FDR may change, if it will slow things down without having to chage batteries or motors.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:24 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

So max motor timing and 10 degrees on the RS?
Old 09-21-2009, 03:30 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Quote:
So max motor timing and 10 degrees on the RS?
yep, and no turbo you'll be set. Rob has also said and FDR of 5.5 is great!
Old 09-21-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

I was looking at Novak's site for their motors. I'm not sure if I want to mess with the motor's physical timing if I can help it. What would be a comparable setting w/o altering the motor's stock setting? It looks like it comes stock at 30*and can be adjusted between 15* and 45* but they suggest leaving it as is with ESCs with electronic timing advance.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:34 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Quote:
I was looking at Novak's site for their motors. I'm not sure if I want to mess with the motor's physical timing if I can help it. What would be a comparable setting w/o altering the motor's stock setting? It looks like it comes stock at 30*and can be adjusted between 15* and 45* but they suggest leaving it as is with ESCs with electronic timing advance.
I hadn't touched mine in the past either. I've just set mine up to give it a shot. But, if Rob recommends it, its probably sound advice.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:07 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Clunker -

I've been having good success running 0* on the motor and somewhere between 25-28* on the ESC while running max turbo on the .5 delay. This set up has been working great on asphalt tracks with straights between 100-130' long. For the Ballistic, 0* on the motor would be retarding it to the 15*.

Keep in mind that other factors will determine motor temps. I'm at 5 - 5.2. Running a spool up front. No drag break. Throttle profile 3. Motor temps are around 150* with the outside temps around 70-75*.

As I switch to carpet. I will first turn down the boost to 15-20* then increase the FDR to around 5.3-5.5. I'm doing this not because the carpet tracks are smaller, but because they generally have tighert turns where more torque is useful.

I'm trying to develope a rule of thumb to figure how many degrees of boost equals a 1 tooth pinion change in reguards to keeping the same motor temp.

As far as slowing the cars down and potential VTA rules changes - I thought absolutely nothing was going to happen until next spring at the earliest. So it's business as usual on the carpet this winter. More Hotwire!
xevias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:03 AM   #8
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the input. I'll be strictly running indoor carpet and maybe I will be able to try out your indoor suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xevias View Post
Clunker -

I've been having good success running 0* on the motor and somewhere between 25-28* on the ESC while running max turbo on the .5 delay. This set up has been working great on asphalt tracks with straights between 100-130' long. For the Ballistic, 0* on the motor would be retarding it to the 15*.

Keep in mind that other factors will determine motor temps. I'm at 5 - 5.2. Running a spool up front. No drag break. Throttle profile 3. Motor temps are around 150* with the outside temps around 70-75*.

As I switch to carpet. I will first turn down the boost to 15-20* then increase the FDR to around 5.3-5.5. I'm doing this not because the carpet tracks are smaller, but because they generally have tighert turns where more torque is useful.

I'm trying to develope a rule of thumb to figure how many degrees of boost equals a 1 tooth pinion change in reguards to keeping the same motor temp.

As far as slowing the cars down and potential VTA rules changes - I thought absolutely nothing was going to happen until next spring at the earliest. So it's business as usual on the carpet this winter. More Hotwire!
Old 09-22-2009, 01:17 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by xevias View Post
You're right it probably won't happen. So lets pose a philisophical question or two:

If your car with an RS can beat the field by two laps and you normally finish 5th in the A main with brand x speedo, how do you feel about the difference?

Will you slow your car down for the competition?

Sure its nice to win, don't get me wrong. I want to feel like I've accomplished something. As far as RSs go, I have a few in other cars. They are awesome.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:30 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Nothing is going to happen until next fall. If you want to take it up among yourselves to try just 10* timing on the esc and no boost, or profile #1 on an LRP, that is up to you guys. I'm gonna try more stuff this weekend.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote