Search

Novak 13.5 getting hot REALLY fast

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Novak 13.5 getting hot REALLY fast

by really fast I mean 30 secs

I have a novak 13.5 motor that I used for about 2 months with no problems what so ever
I recently purchased a xray t2 007 and a LRP TC Spec ESC, I am using the same motor as mentioned earlier

I was in the process of programming the ESC and I noticed that the motor was very hot after about 15 to 20 secs, so I turned everything off

Now this motor has no pinion attached to it yet so it was just freespinning, and i also noticed that the motor shaft didn't spin that fast either

I will mention that the motor is virtually brand new and used for only a couple of months

Mike
Old 09-20-2009, 06:38 PM
Tech Elite

I've had a Novak motor thermal, then get really hot after a few minutes of light racing. But not in 30 seconds. Once they thermal, you pretty much damaged the magnets, inside. It'll still run, but not as long, or as hard.

Send it back to Novak, and have them send you a replacement.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Foxxrocket
I've had a Novak motor thermal, then get really hot after a few minutes of light racing. But not in 30 seconds. Once they thermal, you pretty much damaged the magnets, inside. It'll still run, but not as long, or as hard.

Send it back to Novak, and have them send you a replacement.
In my situation I wasn't even racing, like I said there wasn't even a pinion on the motor, it was freespinning

I could still touch the motor with my hand but I knew something was wrong cause every second it would get hotter and hotter
Old 09-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Make sure your solder joints are secure... If its not spinning freely either, she may be pooched.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Make sure you had the motor wires in the correct orientation as well.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:12 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

seem like your sensor cable is out of order and ESC was not set in neutural.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RobS
Make sure your solder joints are secure... If its not spinning freely either, she may be pooched.
The solder joints are the same as it was before, I have the quick connects on the wires so there was no need to touch the solder joints

I have the motor out of the car and by hand it spins perfectly normal, by that I mean it spins like it did before it went into the car

I am kind of baffled and I am not sure what to do

Might have to buy a new one for the time being and send this one back to Novak for a replacement
Old 09-21-2009, 12:46 PM
Tech Regular

anyone??
Old 09-21-2009, 01:25 PM
The Evicerator

As someone else mentioned I think that you need to ensure that the sensor harness is fully seated into the ESC's connector.

In some ESCs if you do not plug the sensor in the ESC assumes you are using a brushed motor and will switch to brushed mode... which can cause excessive heating to a brushless motor.

If all the connections are fine (sensor harness plugged in properly, no shorts between the phase wires) there's a chance the motor winds could have a short in them somewhere... but it's just as likely that there is some sort of problem with the ESC.

Unless you have another motor or ESC to test in the system it can be difficult to determine which component is actually bad.

If you don't have access to extra equipment to do this testing with, you can always send the motor in to us for evaluation.

We will test it out and ensure that it is in working order.

If you go this route, please complete a warranty service form for the motor and be as detailed as possible about the problem you are experiencing.

The warranty service form can be found on our website in the customer service section.

Oh yeah... anytime you want a quick response, you might want to consider emailing us directly at [email protected] or calling us at 949.833.8873. We check the forums regularly... but email and telephone are the preferred methods!
Old 09-21-2009, 02:46 PM
Tech Regular

thankyou for the response

On second thought it could of been that the sensor wire was not plugged in, when I was programming the ESC I believe I didn't have the sensor wire plugged in, but I had the main power wires to the motor hooked up

I will try everything again with the sensor harness plugged in and see how that goes

Mike
Old 09-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yeah, you need that sensor wire plugged in for it to work right. Double check everything and try again.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:22 PM
Tech Regular

problem fixed

as mentioned above the sensor wire was not plugged in fully, redid everything and checked over thoroughly and everything seems to be working fine

Thanks for the help
Mike
Old 09-21-2009, 05:34 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

hahah when I left you a message your replied with "anyone?? " hahaha

then you thanks to steve for his response. hhahah
Old 09-21-2009, 10:16 PM
Tech Regular

I never said thankyou to anyone specifically

If you read I said "as mentioned above" it wasn't implied to the person right above me, just all the posts above me

I took all the info and when I got home from work today I started to look for the problem and I found it
Old 09-21-2009, 10:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

there might still be damage done to the motor u might still want to send it in

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.