R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-05-2004, 04:21 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Cardboard
Default Someone good with electronics......help....

I made this cutoff unit to go along with my standard 10 1157 bulb discharger.
http://www.nascart.com/disd.htm
Anyway, while discharging my packs, I have to hold down the switch. I am using all the equipment listed there besides a smaller project box i bought by accident(d'oh! )
Being that I have to sit there holding the switch, it kinda defeats the purpose of this unit. I have tried using a 100,60 and 10 ohm resistor. The 10 ohm resistor worker properly but cutoff at about 7.4v. The 60 cut off a bit higher also but the switch must be held down. The 100 cutoff about right, but I had to hold the switch.
So, here's my question. What did I do wrong? It's a PITA to sit there and push down a small switch .

Also, my first post here.
Greetings.
Cardboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 04:33 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Not really sure but i used to do projects like this and found it was cheaper in the long run to just buy a proper discharger/cutoff unit
JusBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 05:50 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to Neil

how many watts is the resistor rated for? You might want to try a bigger resistor. Same ohm value just a higher watt one. Make shure you have the correct relay too. Also look closely at your work. If you have any of the wires reversed it can cause undesired operation. I might be able to tell if you post a pic.

Last edited by Neil; 02-05-2004 at 05:58 PM.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 07:02 PM   #4
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by Neil
how many watts is the resistor rated for? You might want to try a bigger resistor. Same ohm value just a higher watt one. Make shure you have the correct relay too. Also look closely at your work. If you have any of the wires reversed it can cause undesired operation. I might be able to tell if you post a pic.
Yes, might need to try other relay with wider voltage spec (5-12V) something like that.
GTO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 07:51 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Neil
It's rated for 1/2 watt. Here's the pic of the wiring on the relay. I can't access my ftp, sorry for the dl.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg im005145.jpg (68.2 KB, 88 views)
Old 02-05-2004, 08:10 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Select a different relay. The relay "pull" voltage is probably too high (higher that 5.4v anyway) for this application. When I was building these things I just used a different relay from the same batch and the cutoff worked just fine. It's just production tolerances... some of the Bosch relays I used would work, some wouldn't.

Art
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 08:19 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to Neil

yea true
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 08:22 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Advil
Select a different relay. The relay "pull" voltage is probably too high (higher that 5.4v anyway) for this application. When I was building these things I just used a different relay from the same batch and the cutoff worked just fine. It's just production tolerances... some of the Bosch relays I used would work, some wouldn't.

Art
I think your right.....the radioshack relay pull-in is 6v.....
So should I just head over to radioshack and buy another one? Or a different relay?
Old 02-05-2004, 08:33 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

http://www.balakracing.com/autocutoff.htm
This guy says to use a push-on, push-off switch instead of the momentary switch shown on the other site. That will keep the power flowing to the relay without you holding the button down.

I have not tried this thing, so I'm not going to vouch for the accuracy of that idea...

good luck with your project.
Jay
Corruptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 08:52 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Hmmmmm, as I remember I was using 12v relays. I can't remember the "name" on the box but they were repackaged/relabled Bosch relays. I think the part # was VF415F11S01. I bought them like this because they were cheaper by the 100.

Best I can do for you...sorry.

Art
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote