Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foam Tire Truing - 2 degrees ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 11:22 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Foam Tire Truing - 2 degrees ?

I recently picked up a bunch of 2nd hand foam tires, and they are all trued with a 2 degree taper from inside to outside. The outside being the larger diameter.

Have you guys heard of this before ? and why is it done ?

Craig H.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:56 PM
KMW
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Re: Foam Tire Truing - 2 degrees ?

Originally posted by CraigHandley
I recently picked up a bunch of 2nd hand foam tires, and they are all trued with a 2 degree taper from inside to outside. The outside being the larger diameter.

Have you guys heard of this before ? and why is it done ?

Craig H.
This is commonly referred to as pre-camber and is sometimes seen on the rear tires of 1/8th scale on-road cars. What is does is help stabilize the rear under heavy acceleration and braking. A popular analogy is a Dixie cup--tip one over an roll it. You'll notice it rollls in an arc instead of a straight line. By coning the rear tires, truing them that way and setting enough camber to maintain it, they'll both want to roll inward and thus help keep the rear end planted.

I don't see a reason for this on an electric car though, nor have I seen or heard of anyone using it in an electric setup. I'd say that the person you got these from was either going to try it out on a nitro sedan, or just didn't have their truer set correctly when they trued the tires...