R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-16-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Novak Havoc issues

Has anyone found a way around the thermal sensor issues with the Havoc ESC. This setup is making me crazy. I'm sick and tired of having this ESC thermal when the motor temps are around 145 degrees F.

I tried both the 17.5 Speedpassion V3 and the 17.5 Duo2 this week and the Havoc won't arm with either of them.

I have been dropping my gearing several pinion sizes over the last couple weeks. I'm at point where I'm at top speed 15 feet onto the straight and watching the pack pull awayand It still thermals 2 laps before the end of a race. Pretty bad for 17.5 rubber sedan. If I can't get around the programming, I'll be done with Orange stuff forever.
Eddie_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:20 PM   #2
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_E View Post
Has anyone found a way around the thermal sensor issues with the Havoc ESC. This setup is making me crazy. I'm sick and tired of having this ESC thermal when the motor temps are around 145 degrees F.

I tried both the 17.5 Speedpassion V3 and the 17.5 Duo2 this week and the Havoc won't arm with either of them.

I have been dropping my gearing several pinion sizes over the last couple weeks. I'm at point where I'm at top speed 15 feet onto the straight and watching the pack pull awayand It still thermals 2 laps before the end of a race. Pretty bad for 17.5 rubber sedan. If I can't get around the programming, I'll be done with Orange stuff forever.
We should have an update that will fix this type of problem.

Please send the ESC in to us along with a warranty service form and a description of the problem and we will get you sorted out!
Old 09-16-2009, 03:05 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Thanks Steve, this is good news.
Eddie_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I got the same problem. The Novak 21.5 motor had been running around 142 and the Havoc would thermal 4 minutes into the race, even with fan over ESC. I will be sending mine in by this Friday.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:58 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Steve does this effect all the ESC's? I have one and have not been running it yet but I have been having all my friends buy the same thing. This thread has me concerned and I don't want this to affect our in door season.
Xray T3 RCGT
www.rcmadness.freeforums.org
CSaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:37 AM   #6
Company Representative

The Havoc 1S, Havoc 2S and Havoc 3S controllers were designed to be compatible with thermally protected motors:

Quote:
MOTOR COMPATIBILITY

These controllers include Thermal Overload Protection circuitry to protect the system from overheating and damage. In fact, the ESCs will only operate with brushless motors that have built-in thermal protection that follow ROAR guidelines, such as Novak’s new Ballistic Brushless Motors (#3603-#3621), Novak Velocitis and SS Pros. This sophisticated feature ensures a fun day at the track without the worry of overheating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_E View Post

NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:38 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Well I run the Havok package and am interested to see if this is a problem with all of them?
Xray T3 RCGT
www.rcmadness.freeforums.org
CSaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:57 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

mine cuts at about 150. what is the set limit for these to cut out? This is with the 21.5 running in vta.
shaggy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:02 PM   #9
The Evicerator

We have been making running updates to the Havocs since their introduction. The latest batches should not have such a conservative motor temperature cut off as the earlier batches do.

If you are having trouble with your Havoc shutting down early, send it in and we will get you updated to the latest specification!
Old 09-17-2009, 07:21 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Aww man, I just ordered a havoc 17.5 system from Tower! Steve can you tell me if they have the latest batch or the earlier ones?
That would suck to have to send it in as soon as I get it! I run in South Florida and its HOT down here!
boyntoncyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:20 PM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Weiss View Post
We have been making running updates to the Havocs since their introduction. The latest batches should not have such a conservative motor temperature cut off as the earlier batches do.

If you are having trouble with your Havoc shutting down early, send it in and we will get you updated to the latest specification!
This is good news Steve. Thanks for the update. I will be sending mine in tomorrow. The Havoc system I bought was the one with the 21.5T motor. Do I send the ESC only right?
Old 09-17-2009, 08:50 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to tfrahm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
The Havoc 1S, Havoc 2S and Havoc 3S controllers were designed to be compatible with thermally protected motors:
Quote:
MOTOR COMPATIBILITY

These controllers include Thermal Overload Protection circuitry to protect the system from overheating and damage. In fact, the ESCs will only operate with brushless motors that have built-in thermal protection that follow ROAR guidelines, such as Novak’s new Ballistic Brushless Motors (#3603-#3621), Novak Velocitis and SS Pros. This sophisticated feature ensures a fun day at the track without the worry of overheating.
Steve -- do the GTB and the older XBR or SS+ have this same compatibility issue? I seem to recall seeing somewhere (?) that the newer GTB's don't use the motor temp sensor feed, but now I can't find it...???
Biff Racing Team #420 (Ah... The "good old days"...)
The local indoor Offroad Track: The RC Race Barn
TLR22-3.0, TLR22T-2.0, TLR22SCT-1.0
tfrahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:58 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

what should i do we have the music city championship next sunday and it keeps shutting down so i dont have time to send it in
shaggy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:25 AM   #14
Company Representative

The earlier controllers, and the just shipped Havoc Pros, are compatible with all mfgs' 540 size sensored motors. And, they do not limit the cut-off motor temp, even on Novak motors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfrahm View Post
Steve -- do the GTB and the older XBR or SS+ have this same compatibility issue? I seem to recall seeing somewhere (?) that the newer GTB's don't use the motor temp sensor feed, but now I can't find it...???
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:34 AM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

had the same issues, What I did was run a battery with a lower C rating, from 40 down to 28-30 c, never had a problem after that. Maybe the novak guys can look into this, especially I'm planning on getting a 1s havok when they come out and 1s usually has 40-50 c rating.