R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-14-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default On-Road Newbie in need of kit advice.

Okay, so Ive been into RC for a year, but this will be my first venture into the world of on-road.

I a kit that I can get that will have a Porsche 911 or Honda/Acura NSX body.

Im looking at a Tamiya TA05V.2 or a Xray T2R Pro. Any other suggestions?

So here are my questions:

1. What kit to get? I only want to spend about $300 on the car itself. Im looking at a Tamiya TA05V.2 or a Xray T2R Pro. Any other suggestions?

2. Brushless or Brushed? Will a good Brushed motor be sufficient or should I go Brushless?

Thats it for now, but there will be more Qs as soon as I decide on a car.
clamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

What will you want to do with this car? if you plan on racing, make sure you pick a car and body that will be a good match for the class you are going to race. For example... if you are going to race in a sedan class, you will need a sedan body. RCGT class, and you need to run one of those. If your stock classes are 17.5 brushless, make sure you get a setup you will be able to race with...

The car itself is a bit more opinion oriented. Your best bet is to run what most guys at your track are running and/or what ever chassis your local hobby store stocks parts for. The T2 pro is a great car... might also want to look at a TC5 as parts are cheap and a lot of hobby stores support them. There are used TC5s all over the boards for a steal.

Cpt.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
What will you want to do with this car? if you plan on racing, make sure you pick a car and body that will be a good match for the class you are going to race. For example... if you are going to race in a sedan class, you will need a sedan body. RCGT class, and you need to run one of those. If your stock classes are 17.5 brushless, make sure you get a setup you will be able to race with...

The car itself is a bit more opinion oriented. Your best bet is to run what most guys at your track are running and/or what ever chassis your local hobby store stocks parts for. The T2 pro is a great car... might also want to look at a TC5 as parts are cheap and a lot of hobby stores support them. There are used TC5s all over the boards for a steal.

Cpt.
I dont really plan on racing. I just want something to drive around on the streets and drive on the local track but not race.

At this point Im thinking Ill get the T2R, but where can I find bodies for it? And how do I know what bodies fit?
Also, would the Castle Creations Sidewinder Brushless combo work well on the T2R? What batteries (preferably nimh) will fit in the chassis? Oh yeah, what size servo do I need for the T2R?
Old 09-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

If you aren't gonna race and like cool bodies (GT3 comes to mind) then get a TT-01 or TT-01E
Old 09-14-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Suggest you buy a shaft drive kit rather then a belt drive if your not buying it for the purpose of racing....That Xray is a nice looking bit of kit but ones you get a stone in teh drive line it waill be all over.

Bodies, Pretty much interchangeable, Buy a 1900mm body you like the look of, drill some holes.
Metla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:14 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

oh, just saw your other thread..looks like you've got your mind set on a v.2...that'll work too.

just saying for regular bashing at stock motor speeds, TT-01 works pretty well, and is cheap enough to buy some hop ups and durable enough to last awhile.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:26 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchy View Post
oh, just saw your other thread..looks like you've got your mind set on a v.2...that'll work too.

just saying for regular bashing at stock motor speeds, TT-01 works pretty well, and is cheap enough to buy some hop ups and durable enough to last awhile.
Yeah, if that V2 is a good car Ill get that, but if the Xray is better then Ill get the Xray.

Either way, let me make sure I know all that I need to get

Car kit
Radio
ESC/motor combo
Servo
6cell nimh battery
charger

Is there anything else? Will i need any special servo horns or anything?
Old 09-14-2009, 08:45 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Also, what are preferred, rubber or foam tires. For asphalt.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:52 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamber View Post
Yeah, if that V2 is a good car Ill get that, but if the Xray is better then Ill get the Xray.

Either way, let me make sure I know all that I need to get

Car kit
Radio
ESC/motor combo
Servo
6cell nimh battery
charger

Is there anything else? Will i need any special servo horns or anything?
The Xray is a better car for racing, but if all you are going to do is bash around the street, then all it is... is more expensive. Get yourself a used tc3 or tc4, any decent brushless system, a medicore lipo and lipo charger, a used radio with RX, mediocre servo, and you are good to go. Don't waste your money on an expensive race chassis if all you are going to do is bash.
- RCSpecialties -
Old 09-14-2009, 10:03 PM   #10
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

It sounds like you want a nice mid-end-ish car with halfways decent stuff, but like others have said, there's no need to spend race-grade money.

For the radio, since you won't be driving at a track, all you need is a decent FM transmitter. You can find a package deal with a servo and receiver for under $100.

For the motor and ESC, I'd recommend going with a brushless for ease of maintenance. If you keep it clean it will run for a long, long time. Again, you don't need a "pro" racing ESC, so look for something that comes with a motor like the one you want to run. If you want to go fast in the street, a 10.5 - 13.5 will be fine. If you're feeling adventurous and don't mind paying for a better ESC, you could throw a 4.5 in there, but if you're new to it you're better off with something more controllable.

For the battery, get a sport-grade 2-cell LiPo pack. These are usually designated "2S" and you'll want a discharge rate around 25C. Again, don't spend a lot of money on a race-grade battery if you just want to bash.

For the charger, anything that charges a 2-cell LiPo will work, you can probably go cheap.

For running on asphalt, you'll want to run rubber tires. Get a hard-compound street tire, not a racing tire, otherwise they will wear out quickly.

Hope that helps!
Old 09-14-2009, 10:14 PM   #11
Tech Addict

You could actually get a 2.4GHz FHSS radio system for $100.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/751548.asp

If you order today you even get free shipping.
PaPeRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:24 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Awesome, thanks guys. I mostly want to just drive on local streets for now, but next spring I might pick up racing at the local track. But for now Ill just focus on street/lot driving.

Ive never really been a fan of buying used stuff so Ill probably go new.

Ill have the funds, I just want to get something that will last.

So it looks like Im down to the Tamiya TA05 v.2 or the Xray T2R.

So Ill get the car kit, a radio system, a servo, a battery, a charger, a motor/esc and whatever else.

Do I really need LiPo? I was into offroad trucks for a while and I had a Sidewinder 5700 with a 6cell 4200mah nimh and it was plenty fast. Would either of those cars fit a 7cell nimh?

Is there a chart or something where I can see the corelations between motors that are defined with the "kv" and the ones with "xx.xt"?
Old 09-15-2009, 12:51 AM   #13
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamber View Post
Awesome, thanks guys. I mostly want to just drive on local streets for now, but next spring I might pick up racing at the local track. But for now Ill just focus on street/lot driving.

Ive never really been a fan of buying used stuff so Ill probably go new.

Ill have the funds, I just want to get something that will last.

So it looks like Im down to the Tamiya TA05 v.2 or the Xray T2R.

So Ill get the car kit, a radio system, a servo, a battery, a charger, a motor/esc and whatever else.

Do I really need LiPo? I was into offroad trucks for a while and I had a Sidewinder 5700 with a 6cell 4200mah nimh and it was plenty fast. Would either of those cars fit a 7cell nimh?

Is there a chart or something where I can see the corelations between motors that are defined with the "kv" and the ones with "xx.xt"?

Welcome to the 1/10 on-road touring world!

Those two chassis are both nice, it might comes down to personal choice. Tamiya parts might not be as 'sturdy' as the Xray parts, but usually are much less expensive to replace and upkeep.

Those two are designed to work with 5-6 cells only, and putting in a mod class motor will make it plenty fast. 7 cells might not work with some of the ESC.

Difficult to come up with a KV vs "R" or "T" chart, since different brand has different spec. Only thing is KV and R/T are negatively correlated. Most stock classes in the States seems to use brushless 10.5T or slower.

I guess you have covered some of the necessities of the car, and here are my additional two cents:

1) Tools, depending on what car, some use metric and some needs non-metric system

2) Setup tools or system. At the least, a ride height gauge, droop gauge and camber gauge. I recommend the Tamiya 2-in-1 ride height and downstop ruler. Personally, I use Hudy setup system and am happy w/ it, but it is not immediate necessity.

3) Grease and oil. diff grease, thrust grease, bearing oil

4) Pit towel or simply a large towel to catch the parts. Life saver, no matter where you go.

5) In terms of electronics, I'd highly recommend to go lipo and brushless. So much easier and so much less hassle. Do consider a lipo charging bag for insurance. If you do intend to race in not-so-distant future, try to get as high-end an ESC you can afford, or visit local tracks to see what classes you might want to join and spend accordingly.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:27 AM   #14
Super Moderator

You don't NEED a lipo, but they are VASTLY easier to maintain and run. They can be charged an ulimited number of times per day, and they don't need to be discharched at all. (never discharge a lipo). Once your esc hits the low voltage cuttoff for lipo (make sure your esc has this) then you just slap it back on the charger and go. Nimh can only be run maybe twice in a day, and it requires a certain amount of maintenance. Condering you would need more packs of nimh to do what ONE lipo can do, lipo are actually cheaper.

As a matter of fact, I am selling a 4000mah 35c lipo for $50 if interested.

Cpt.
- RCSpecialties -
Old 09-15-2009, 11:04 AM   #15
Tech Addict

Im really liking the looks of the DF03Ra. But I want an Xray.

Would it be fathomable to put larger tires onto the Xray or is that not possible?

I guess I could go lipo and brushless, but Ill probably get the CC Sidewinder since I have some experience with that. Also, what are some good quality lipo manufacturers as well as a good charger?