Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
What Are The Pros And Cons Of Electric Rc Cars? >

What Are The Pros And Cons Of Electric Rc Cars?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Are The Pros And Cons Of Electric Rc Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 12:30 AM
Tech Rookie

Default What Are The Pros And Cons Of Electric Rc Cars?

What Are The Pros And Cons Of Electric Rc Cars? Best On Touring On-Road Cars. Planning To Buy 1 Electric Tamiya TT-01 Any Commends?
Old 09-14-2009, 01:30 AM
Tech Addict

Pros:

They aren't as loud as Nitro cars so you can drive them at night or around your local street without disturbing neighbors.

You can recharge the batteries so you don't have to buy fuel

You only need one servo for steering and the speed control is electronic with no moving parts so it's more reliable.

You don't need to adjust carburetor

You don't need a glow starter

You don't need pull start

They are odorless don't have smell of fuel

They have different capacity batteries so you can drive longer without recharge/refuel

Basic kits are cheaper than Nitros

Cons:

They're too quite for some and don't sound like a real engine.

You need special chargers for the battery packs.

Charging takes longer than refueling a tank.

You need stronger/faster more expensive motors/ESC/battery to go as fast as Nitro cars

TT-01 is a good cheap basic touring car chassis with low priced hop ups available from a few manufacturers.

Last edited by PaPeRo; 09-14-2009 at 02:17 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Is The TT-01 A Fast Car??? Around What Spd?
Old 09-14-2009, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by m3anders
I think that depends on what motor or battery cells you are using.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Start with a Ready TO Run, get used to it, upgrade charger, batteries, then electronics...
Old 09-14-2009, 10:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The question at hand is what are you planning to do? Are you bashing around your neighborhood or are you going to be doing onroad racing. If your not going to be racing in a Tamiya class race then its not worth it to use the TT01 chasis to race onroad. I speak from experience since I started out with a TT01 and to make it race worthy for on road I had to convert it to the 3racing carbon fiber chasis so I could have more gearing options. The stock chasis is very limited unless you get the TT01R chasis and even that is limited. Here is a pic of my chasis upgraded to the 3racing chasis and running 17.5 brushless. Maybe it might be a good idea to start with an RTR version of the cyclone.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Pros:

quiet

less cost in the long run

no clean up (besides tire shavings)

go faster than nitro counter parts

less of a chance of eating gears

cons:

up front cost (for a good set up to be competitive) will cost more

lipo batteries require care with use (so do nimh to an extent)

short main races
Old 09-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by m3anders
Car is built cheap, limited in its capabilities, and wears excessively. Out of the box they are very slow, and you can't put a very fast motor in them as the gearing options are limited

I was put off just by building the kit, and sold it after a single run. I'd only recommend it as a driveway basher.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:52 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

speed is relative, even if u have a car that goes '70mph' its boring after 2 or 3 blasts, provided u dont flip it over or hit a pot hole or an explorer's read tire and trash the car.

electrics what hurts is the up front cost

nitro is cheaper in the door, but like a buyer's club they have u and u have to keep spending. whereas in electric many times u dont have to spend any more of significance. any car, u break it, well then u gotta fix it.

R

as i mentioned in another thread, the tt01 isnt really brushless friendly in most instances b/c of its limited gearing option and b/c of the beating its drivetrain would take from hotter motors period. to the gentlemen above with the car in the pic. u prolly have a piece of servo tape naturally under your xponder, but make sure that wire for it doesnt touch that graphite at all. be runnin and all of a sudden the scorer says ur hits are weak or u missed a lap. never cool. just heads up.

R
Old 09-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ultegrasti
u prolly have a piece of servo tape naturally under your xponder, but make sure that wire for it doesnt touch that graphite at all. be runnin and all of a sudden the scorer says ur hits are weak or u missed a lap. never cool. just heads up.

R
Isn't that carbon fiber? Either way, as long as the shielding is on the wires, it wouldn't be a problem even if it was graphite.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:10 PM
Tech Addict

I don't agree with the cost issue, The low grade stuff is cheap whether your looking at electric or nitro, the high-end gear is wickedly expensive,for both. It all comes down to what you want to spend.

Personally my preference is for electric for two reasons.

1.Noise-hate the horrible screech of the nitro's.
2.Maintenance, The nitro's simply have far more mechanical parts, and all mechanical parts require maintenance. Keeping an electric car going for a day of races is enough work for me.

And then you will get some people who love the noise and all the mechanical parts....So its more of a preference then a pro/con situation.

Last edited by Metla; 09-14-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

It depends on what you want to do with the car. Do you want to race at a local track or do you want to run up and down the street (bash). If you want to bash the car you want will be just as fast as any other 10th scale touring car. If you want to race it may not be a good choice. Go to the local track on race day and see what most are running. Out of the cars you see, find the one that you like and make sure the LHS (local hobby shop) has parts for it.
You can tell really fast what are the most popular cars are on the market just by seeing the most hit post on this forum.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
Isn't that carbon fiber? Either way, as long as the shielding is on the wires, it wouldn't be a problem even if it was graphite.
Carbon fiber is also referred to as graphite. Many companies refer to it as graphite. I never heard of graphite/carbon fiber screwing with transponders but it could happen because graphite does cause a lot of electrical problems
Old 09-14-2009, 04:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Pros Electric cars=

1)When Electric cars are built brand new, they tend to want to sleep on your bedroom pillow.
2)When electric cars do well at the track, they usually like to ride shotgun on the way home.

Pros Nitro cars=

1)It will put some hair on your chest!

R/C car cons=

None found yet.

Last edited by CHRIS CHAVEZ; 09-14-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Metla
Car is built cheap, limited in its capabilities, and wears excessively. Out of the box they are very slow, and you can't put a very fast motor in them as the gearing options are limited

I was put off just by building the kit, and sold it after a single run. I'd only recommend it as a driveway basher.
If he doesn't plan on doing competitive racing he doesn't need to constantly fiddle with gearing. TT-01 handle mild >9T BL motors just fine. The only wear is going to be the pinions/spurs which wears on all cars assuming he upgrades the chassis with ball bearings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.