R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-14-2009, 12:29 AM   #91
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammer View Post
then a third to race the Riders suck 300 in toon town. (Yeah that was a Saskatchewan cheap shot, couldn't help myself)
We won the Banjo Bowl 55-10.
Nuff said.
Danny-b23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:32 AM   #92
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny-b23 View Post
If you make a rule change deeming timing boost speed controls illegal, and you make it effective in say, 2011, you give the companies some time to develop something that can keep up.

In the mean time, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
Again...that doesn't work as was proven already in paintball. It is too easy to make an ESC with a legal race mode and additional profiles that are not legal and make it so it defaults back. Are you going to be the one who tells a noob that he can't race a certain ESC that has legal profiles just because it also has illegal profiles as well?
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:36 AM   #93
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfire View Post
WOW... interesting subject.....

I doubt that a better software or speedo in general wouldn't offer some advantage in racing but on most tracks I have raced at in my years of RC you always win races in the corners, not on the straight. Alot of winging I have heard over the years about ppl's straight line speed is explained by how much faster they are exiting the corners.
Turbo allows you to gear for the corners but still maintain the same top speed as those gearing for the straights. At the IIC I dropped 4 to 5 teeth on my pinion and still maintained the same top speed yet gained a ton of punch in the infield. Personally I'm not that good of a driver where it helped me get up into another main but I can see where it could have easily.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:56 AM   #94
Tech Master

Here's the deal.

Where I'm at, the guy who normally TQs is on SP GT 2.0 ESC. The guy who wins the A Main is either on SPX or some other super high timing advanced esc. They are both equally skilled. But the added speed made the difference.

If we have to slow down these motors, we can always try sensorless stock right?
cyanyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:36 AM   #95
Tech Fanatic

Oh my, just another thing for someone to pick on... there are needs to limit certain usage of certain items by why would you wanna limit technological development ?

If you were to limit items such as tyre additives that is harmful to health or some what so ever reason, now that's acceptable...

But if your gonna limit things like esc development? Wow imagine if such concept is implemented in the previous years, we wouldnt be using brushless systems would we?

Now battery manufacturers are pushing more and more capacity into batteries... instead of stopping manufacturers from developing and increasing the capacities, why not change the rules and make runtime longer? Too many participants = not being able to finish the event in time? Doesnt seem like a problem for nitro guys though with their 45mins final.

If we're talking about prototype esc being used at major events, isnt there already a rule saying only products available to mass consumer being allowed in major events?
Tpg racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:44 AM   #96
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Tommy Bergfeldt

The ESC used by CRC has been used by several swedish drivers for about a year, it's developed and manufatured by Chikara Advanced Electronics in Linköping, Sweden..
Tommy Bergfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:17 AM   #97
Tech Adept

TBH I really don't see what the fuss is all about.

I am not (nor will I ever be) a team driver, but I still enjoy racing team drivers at my local club. I only ever race the clock... that's the only way I know if I am improving or not. Sure, it's nice to finish 1st (or 2nd, or one place higher than last time), but I only started in this hobby in Jan 2009 and I have a lot to learn. My lap times have halved in this time... now I am only taking 10ths or even 100ths of a second off my time each week.

If a team driver has a better chassis, or better electronics than me then they have earned the right to use these things. It's no different from other forms of motorsport where the independent racers have inferior equipment to the works teams. One day they will impress someone enough to be offered a works drive.

Just imagine how much more satisfying it would be to beat a team driver with your 3 year old ESC and motor

My 2p worth (about 3c in your money )

Daniel.

Titanium Racing (Team TR Driver) / Tekin RS Pro / Novak Ballistic 13.5t / Spektrum

www.titaniumracing.com
amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:17 AM   #98
Tech Regular

I brought a Tekin esc simply for the firmware updates in the long run saves buying a new esc every couple of months, and computer adjustable settings,its much easier to see what im setting it at then counting flashing lights.The on screen setup program i think is great for people just starting out, less user error in the short term setting something wrong and killing the esc.
If Tekin can do it why cant the others i know in the long run its going to be a money saver which in turn can only benefit the racer.
nbhc.com.au support your local that supports you
shannon83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:59 AM   #99
Tech Master

Good thing brushless has leveled the playing field, huh?

Anyways, everyone needs to get over it. There's always been prototype speed controls that you couldn't get.

But now with the perceived "equality" of brushless motors, it's become more obvious.

Badly influencing a new generation of racers!
~McSmooth~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:47 AM   #100
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just think this all started when someone realized that nickel cadmium cells had different characteristics, and if you put those together with similar "numbers" you would have a better pack.

Look, this is racing. Everyone is going to look for whatever advantage they can find. That's just the way it is.

Interesting how this came about at a non-ROAR race.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:48 AM   #101
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

where it happened does not matter. one this to think about with esc is that it is unlimited. all you guys are talking about is timing. there are much better and simpler ways to make a motor spin faster. a simple way is to look at the "booster" technology. take that and apply it to the main source of power for the esc. don't you think that a booster on the main power from 3.7 to say 7.4 would make the motor work "faster". you guys are thinking inside the box. think outside the box. then think about what this means to the speedo market for rc. ROAR and other sanctioning bodies will need to build a spec around esc and there will need to be a way to test it. if you though the motor of the week is expensive, think about what a new esc of the week will be. and also think about this. racing is racing. if does not matter if it is $100 or $1000 or $10000 for a speedo. someone will have on at an event and if it is a big enough event, then everyone will have one. no one want to go to a big event already looking at second.

remember cpu speed doubles every 3 years.

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:54 AM   #102
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cuffs View Post
No your wrong if you add the turbo too quick it actually hurts you more then helps you. U have to wait till the motor get to a certain rpm before boost becomes efficient.

Brushed motors anyone LOl
Cuffs: Remember when the transformation from Brushed to Brushless motors first started, I warned the R/C community that Brushless would come down to a battle of speed control technology, (black box technology was my catch phrase...ring a bell?!?) I must be Nostra-Putnam!

No sense in trying to form rules on something you can't tech.

As for what happened in Vegas, I didn't see any names in the win columns that shocked me, or that haven't been there before.

Although I have not run the speedo the CRC guys were using, I have run the Tekins with the 199 and 200 updates. They are flat out incredible units.

I applaud Tekin for stepping outside the box and offering customers a speedo that can be programmed and updated by simply purchasing of a $40 Hotwire Interface. Brilliant.

For not having to drop $150 - $200 every time the speed control companies learns how to improve their product is a great incentive to support Tekin. All the brushless speed control companies are on a learning curve, so we should expect improvenments - and frequently at that. Tekin has figured out how to keep the racers updated without going broke. Again, brilliant -
Todd Putnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:10 AM   #103
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

theisgroup- I believe that to be illegal already. Nothing which boosts the battery voltage is allowed. Plus it's easy to tech, unless someone figures out a way to disable such a feature for tech purposes.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:13 AM   #104
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Putnam View Post
Cuffs: Remember when the transformation from Brushed to Brushless motors first started, I warned the R/C community that Brushless would come down to a battle of speed control technology, (black box technology was my catch phrase...ring a bell?!?) I must be Nostra-Putnam!
Ah, you're just mad you're stuck with 10 thousand pair of F brushes!

Right now we're in the infancy of competitive brushless racing. We have all kinds of new stuff we can play with. Like anything else things will calm down and there won't be a speedo of the week.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:13 AM   #105
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
theisgroup- I believe that to be illegal already. Nothing which boosts the battery voltage is allowed. Plus it's easy to tech, unless someone figures out a way to disable such a feature for tech purposes.
that is external to the speedo. so what if it were internal? and what if it were similar technology to how the tekin determins when to "boost"

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote