R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-17-2009, 12:25 AM   #511
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakk View Post
I don't know how else to explain it. It's called bracket racing. It is a lot more popular in drag racing.
Because what skill do you need in drag racing Its ALL motor.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:36 AM   #512
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezenclowd3 View Post
Well sure you can argue that. But my point is that you put people together based on what times they are turning. Skill or equipment.

just an idea.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:41 AM   #513
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrcr View Post
You obviously know not enough about electricity to make that statement.
Thanks oldrcr! There is lots of people still have theories about the speedo. I have said it before in this thread. The only thing the extra battery does, is to provide proper voltage to the electronic to have it run more efficient and cooler. And it make it possible not have an extra regulator when running 3.7volt batteries. I have known Åke Andersson (owner of Advanced Electronics) for since 1987 and he is a very talent electronic designer. He have designed speedos for over 20 years now. Summary: He have lots of experience in R/C electronics! That is simply why the speedo is one of the best in the world for the moment. \Lindenhill
Lindenhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:01 AM   #514
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Kwik View Post
After sitting here reading 34 pages the only word I can use to describe the way I feel about RC in general is disgust. What on earth happened to this sport that I grew up and always loved so much.

When I was growing up this was all about innovating. Trying new things and bringing them to races was always a huge part of this hobby, it's what made it what it is today. I remember walking through the pits and seeing hand crafted cars and electronic devices one after another, almost too many unique and exciting things to count. Everyone has been so caught up in politics and internet banter that they completely overlook the fact that we are tumbling at break-neck speed down a very slippery slope. Everyone wants to win even if it means changing the rules to do so. This couldn't be further from where we started, and for that matter where we flourished.

I had a discussion with a local racer today about the rules for the upcoming Grand Slam series. There is confusion about who can run what if they finished 4th in what race. If you have won a ROAR event in stock you are banned from competing in stock for 5 years, but if you finish 2nd you are also banned form competing in stock at some non-ROAR events. Now you can't run that really cool part you made yourself because it's not "production" and everyone else can't have it. Hey you, over there, that software looks like it's too new!

What in hell are the organizers, the ROAR administration and all of you people in here whining trying to do to OUR COMMUNITY? Is this your idea of making things better and building our industry?

Way to rule-f**k the industry people, I couldn't be less interested in flying a team to any event right now. Disgusting.

Nick
Make sure they all race mod only. Problem solved.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:35 AM   #515
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well lets see,

30, 60, 90 day availability: First if ROAR did this attendance at nats would drop even more than it is now. And independant races (like the IIC) would simply not follow that rule just to get more racers. So that idea won't work.

Amateur class: We've been on this merry go round before. The problem is what defines amateur? Any rule you put in place someone out there will find a way around. And if you catch them, they throw all kinds of attitude at you and start another "ROAR Sucks" thread. So that idea won't work.

Everybody runs mod: An idea I like and even tried to get going. But indoor electric runs some very tight tracks. Yes the top drivers could probably do it but the majority of other will have a hard time, and spend more time fixing their cars than racing. And that eventually leads to them leaving the hobby. And the top drivers I've spoken to would rather stay away from mod for the same reason. 99% of the time they will run a clean lap, but that 1% where they clip a board they will do more damage because they will be going even faster than the regulars. So that idea won't work.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:35 AM   #516
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezenclowd3 View Post
Actually it's all reaction time.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:44 AM   #517
Tech Champion

This whole thread was started by one disgruntled racer who got his butt kicked at the last race and is blaming a speed control he doesn't know or understand. From there others have made blind accusations of all sorts of ridiculous things. And the best part, everyone wants Dawn to fix it.

If everyone really wants to save our hobby and make things fun again, all of you are going to have to join ROAR and actually help with the implementation of some of these ideas. Going to races and complaining on RC tech just isn't enough. There are far bigger problems in our hobby than wether this speed control is legal or not. We can all get together and make this hobby something again, or we can all stay divided and watch our hobby die.

Last edited by jiml; 09-17-2009 at 06:45 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-17-2009, 06:58 AM   #518
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml View Post
This whole thread was started by one disgruntled racer who got his butt kicked at the last race and is blaming a speed control he doesn't know or understand. From there others have made blind accusations of all sorts of ridiculous things. And the best part, everyone wants Dawn to fix it.

If everyone really wants to save our hobby and make things fun again, all of you are going to have to join ROAR and actually help with the implementation of some of these ideas. Going to races and complaining on RC tech just isn't enough. There are far bigger problems in our hobby than wether this speed control is legal or not. We can all get together and make this hobby something again, or we can all stay divided and watch our hobby die.
+1
Cammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:27 AM   #519
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Well lets see,

30, 60, 90 day availability: First if ROAR did this attendance at nats would drop even more than it is now. And independant races (like the IIC) would simply not follow that rule just to get more racers. So that idea won't work.
Curious why you think this would cause attendance to drop?
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:31 AM   #520
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HenBeav

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
+1 i don't see how this would hurt anything either.

Support your local Lowe's, Walmart and Layne Machine Works INC.
HenBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:33 AM   #521
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:

go back and read all of kn's post. even in the first post. there was nothing said about the IIC all that was asked was if prototype esc should be legal in a ROAR race in the sportsman class. you are sooo off on your analysis. it is soo funny to see all these post. the question at hand is not what most are even posting about in this thread

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:44 AM   #522
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Truly committed racers (or racers who should be committed?) will always get the lastest and greatest thing as soon as it comes out. If they can't use it at a ROAR race because it missed the deadline by lets say a week they just won't go to that ROAR race.

And that comes from experience.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:49 AM   #523
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:

I was at IIC this year, first, what a great group of racers. All were just trying to promote and show how competitive a class could be at any speed, so yes, some pretty good drivers in 17.5 1/12th ran. All this did was make me aspire to drive at that level, which I take as a challenge to improve my skill. All of the team and non-team drivers that I talked to were always willing to help get me sorted out to get a chance to try get me closer with my car so I had the same potential they did, I just needed to drive better, that's on me, its how I want it to be. I came away with so much respect for the group of racers that attended, I can't wait to run the next local race to work on getting my skill closer to theirs. That's what is all about.

The ESC didn't help the person that had one in WGT because his driving wasn't quite there, so a little extra speed did not win the race for him. Soon, this competition to make our cars run better will move to a different part of the car, that is what I want as well, the manufacturers to keep making our equipment better. As for those that think that the receiver pack is adding speed to the motor, you do not understand electricity to make this statement, so don't.

Scotty, hope you can get equipment to run the race again next year. I hope I can help in some way. Sad that Paul had to lose equipment as well.

Everybody go out there and look at yourself and make that your goal as how to improve you finishing position.

Last edited by oldrcr; 09-17-2009 at 08:07 AM.
oldrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:55 AM   #524
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by theisgroup View Post
go back and read all of kn's post. even in the first post. there was nothing said about the IIC all that was asked was if prototype esc should be legal in a ROAR race in the sportsman class. you are sooo off on your analysis. it is soo funny to see all these post. the question at hand is not what most are even posting about in this thread
First there is a question of wether the SC in question is a full prototype. The way I read it is it's one of their SC's retasked to handle single cell lipo. Does that qualify as a prototype? And Tekin was there with new software for their speedo, would that not qualify as prototype?

ROAR's rules on prototype parts concern chassis parts, not electronics, but I suppose they could apply. This came out of Associated's "stealth" cars that they took to the world championships. That was like 1990? It was also meant to prevent companies from releasing cars the day before a national event.

It is impossible to have any kind of rules regulating speed controls, since you cannot monitor what they do in "real time." (during a race). There's no way of telling in tech what the sc does in a race.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:01 AM   #525
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrcr View Post
I was at IIC this year, first, what a great group of racers. All were just trying to promote and show how competitive a class could be at any speed, so yes, some pretty good drivers in 17.5 1/12th ran. All this did was make me aspire to drive at that level, which I take as a challenge to improve my skill. All of the team and non-team drivers that I talked to were always willing to help get me sorted out to get a chance to try get me closer with my car so I had the same potential they did, I just needed to drive better, that's on me, its how I want it to be. I came away with so much respect for the group of racers that attended, I can't wait to run the next local race to work on getting my skill closer to theirs. That's what is all about. The ESC didn't help the person that had one in WGT because his driving wasn't quite there, so a little extra speed did not win the race for him. Soon, this competition to make our cars run better will move to a different part of the car, that is what I want as well, the manufacturers to keep making our equipment better. As for those that think that the receiver pack is adding speed to the motor, you do not understand electricity to make this statement, so don't. Scotty, hope you can get equipment to run the race again next year. I hope I can help in some way. Sad that Paul had to lose equipment as well. Everybody go out there and look at yourself and make that your goal as how to improve you finishing position.
If I may add to this, it's hard to consider anyone an amateur that goes to a big race like the IIC, or the ROAR nats. Amateur racing is done at the club or local level, and should be promoted there. This way each club can come up with it's own set of rules that best suits the racers who run there. When you go to a higher level race you have to expect you will race against the best racers with the best equipment. Which is good for racers like you who want to improve their skills to maybe compete with these peope, or to improve your results at your home track.