R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-14-2009, 02:09 PM   #166
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekB View Post
What the controversy about the ESC was...the RX 7.4 volt pack was wired into the speed control and what people theorized about this was it was feeding 7.4 volts to the motor therefore not fitting into the 3.8 volt 1 Cell lipo.
I just remembered Frank mentioned to me why the RX pack was wired to the ESC at the manufacturers taco dinner...it was because the ESC had a regulator built in to regulate the voltage to the RX. That way you could run a LiPo 7.4v RX pack without having to run a separate regulator.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:10 PM   #167
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

The Black Diamond speed control mentioned here?

http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules.p...e=print&sid=94
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:13 PM   #168
Tech Elite
 
al dente's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 5280 Raceway. Denver's finest RC facility
Posts: 4,765
Default

yes
__________________
Team CRC / Dumper's Speed Shop / Team Scream Racing / Black Art
RC America / FB/FX / Colorado On Road RC Club
5280 Raceway (5280raceway.com) home of the MILE HIGH INDOOR CHAMPS April 19-22, 2018
al dente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:14 PM   #169
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,582
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Does look neat. another difference is that the wires aren't coming off the ESC in the same order. sounds like this is something else (like the Swedish ESC mentioned above).
You're right. I got caught searching since I had looked at just a bit ago. Still the GM Genius 120 was one of the hot tickets in Europe this year. Very very hard to find here.
__________________
John Higgins former student of The Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driving School. The "Team Principal".
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:16 PM   #170
Tech Master
 
JamesArluck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,233
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JamesArluck
Default

So is the issue here that there is possibly something illegal about the speed control in question (voltage booster, powering motor off of receiver pack, etc.), or that while the the speedo is completely legal and not doing anything funny, but people just can't get them?

There has ALWAYS been stuff that has either been prototype or 'team only' at these races, they just aren't as blatant as a new ESC. New foam tire compounds, special 'good' batches of F-brushes, new chassis tuning parts, etc. It's impossible to regulate all of this stuff, much less tech it.

If this speedo is doing something illegal, people will find out when it's released and get called out on it. If not, then other speedo manufacturers will buy one and reverse engineer the software and add it to their own.
JamesArluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:17 PM   #171
Tech Master
 
2wdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
You're right. I got caught searching since I had looked at just a bit ago. Still the GM Genius 120 was one of the hot tickets in Europe this year. Very very hard to find here.
LOL ok it is the "black diamond"........
2wdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:17 PM   #172
Tech Master
 
cyanyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KL, MY.
Posts: 1,041
Default

Now tekin and Speedpassion have user updateable software, sooner or later, all the rest will follow suit. Someone somewhere will figure out how to hack those softwares and share it with the world. Then everyone will be able to customize their esc's EXACTLY how they want it to work.... I can't wait to see that day.
cyanyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:17 PM   #173
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,052
Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml View Post
I have a question, did anyone ask Calandra what they were doing? He's usually pretty open about this stuff.

Another point with this turbo mode, is it possible that it's not an increase in voltage, but what could best be described as dynamic timing? Think about it, low timing in the slow parts of the track, then advance the timing a bunch in the straight. That's not only fair, but legal.
jiml - If you would have seen these cars come ripping out of the corners and scream past everyone else on the backstraight at the IIC, you would NOT be thinking anything about timing at all. These cars looked liked they had 10.5 motors in the 13.5 class, and 13.5 motors in the 17.5 class. The acceleration rate was phenomenal to say the least.

As for Brian Wynn, 17.5 Stock 12th was not an Amateur event for 2009 like it was for 2008, this year it was only 17.5 Amateur Sedan. As a corner marshal for the A-Main 12th Stock race, I don't think I saw the ESC in question in his stock car, but an LRP. He was noticeably slower in the main, but he was flawless in his driving and still brought it home.

I hope we will see some changes in the near future as to whom qualifies to race "Stock" classes. Proven and experienced racers, such as Brian Wynn, should race in SuperStock and above only, not Stock where Amateurs and Privateers normally hope to have some chance at success.

Last edited by kn7671; 09-14-2009 at 02:31 PM.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:19 PM   #174
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,211
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

The only thing that would be illegal is if the SC routed the 7.4v power to the motor. Not easy to do.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:22 PM   #175
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,211
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
jiml - If you would have seen these cars come ripping out of the corners and scream past everyone else on the backstraight at the IIC, you would NOT be thinking anything about timing at all. These cars looked liked they had 10.5 motors in the 13.5 class, and 13.5 motors in the 17.5 class. The acceleration rate was phenomenal to say the least.
Okay then what do you think they were doing?
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:24 PM   #176
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,211
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Another question, did anyone mention this to the event promoters? Remember this is not a ROAR race, so you cannot blame ROAR for anything that happened there.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:24 PM   #177
Tech Master
 
DerekB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,421
Default

The bottom line is there was really nothing anybody can do at the event, since rules are vague for the event and if nobody protested enough to cause anything to happen.

What it does do is open the door to prevent this, and make sure that outside packs are NOT powering the speedo...or any sort of voltage boosting.

But..run mod, no cheating.
DerekB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:25 PM   #178
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Lobos
Posts: 11
Default Shall we open the can of worms now......

Exactly how far off are these statements now lmao:

Only Need One Motor: False, you will still need several motors for each application you decide to use them in.

Motors are Indestructible: False, Brushless motors can still be susceptible to shorts due to faulty winding, debris entering the motor and heat.

Torque and RPM are the same as brushed: False, you will need to give up one for the other. That is another reason why you need more then one brushless motor.

No Maintenance: False, cleaning, bearing replacement and magnet zapping will still be needed for top performance. Also, any damage to the motor can may cause the motor to fail.

Brushless will take the battery war out of play: False, Batteries will play a bigger part since brushless systems depend on high voltage, amps and super low internal resistance to operate as a race motor. Bottom line... you will still need to have quality batteries.

Some say the Speed Control can be programmed to a spec level and everyone will be the same: False, again at this point batteries will make a huge difference. Good quality packs will be essential. In the end, a " Team Driver" will still have the advantage due to speed controller programming knowledge, access to unreleased technology and the ability to jump the regulator that restricts the amp flow. It is much easier to just tech a motor.

Brushless Performance: There will still be better motors than others due to manufacturing tolerances. Remember the price on a brushless motor when you have to replace it because it does not perform as claimed. Since there is no easy way to maintain and keep a brushless motor up to original spec (i.e. rebuild) it may be necessary to purchase new motors often at a very high price to keep up with your neighbor or racing rival.
partyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:28 PM   #179
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,211
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyman View Post
Exactly how far off are these statements now lmao:

Only Need One Motor: False, you will still need several motors for each application you decide to use them in.

Motors are Indestructible: False, Brushless motors can still be susceptible to shorts due to faulty winding, debris entering the motor and heat.

Torque and RPM are the same as brushed: False, you will need to give up one for the other. That is another reason why you need more then one brushless motor.

No Maintenance: False, cleaning, bearing replacement and magnet zapping will still be needed for top performance. Also, any damage to the motor can may cause the motor to fail.

Brushless will take the battery war out of play: False, Batteries will play a bigger part since brushless systems depend on high voltage, amps and super low internal resistance to operate as a race motor. Bottom line... you will still need to have quality batteries.

Some say the Speed Control can be programmed to a spec level and everyone will be the same: False, again at this point batteries will make a huge difference. Good quality packs will be essential. In the end, a " Team Driver" will still have the advantage due to speed controller programming knowledge, access to unreleased technology and the ability to jump the regulator that restricts the amp flow. It is much easier to just tech a motor.

Brushless Performance: There will still be better motors than others due to manufacturing tolerances. Remember the price on a brushless motor when you have to replace it because it does not perform as claimed. Since there is no easy way to maintain and keep a brushless motor up to original spec (i.e. rebuild) it may be necessary to purchase new motors often at a very high price to keep up with your neighbor or racing rival.
First, 90% of your post is false.

Second, we're discussing speed controls here.

Brushed motors are history. Deal with it.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:28 PM   #180
Tech Master
 
DerekB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyman View Post
Exactly how far off are these statements now lmao:

Only Need One Motor: False, you will still need several motors for each application you decide to use them in.

Motors are Indestructible: False, Brushless motors can still be susceptible to shorts due to faulty winding, debris entering the motor and heat.

Torque and RPM are the same as brushed: False, you will need to give up one for the other. That is another reason why you need more then one brushless motor.

No Maintenance: False, cleaning, bearing replacement and magnet zapping will still be needed for top performance. Also, any damage to the motor can may cause the motor to fail.

Brushless will take the battery war out of play: False, Batteries will play a bigger part since brushless systems depend on high voltage, amps and super low internal resistance to operate as a race motor. Bottom line... you will still need to have quality batteries.

Some say the Speed Control can be programmed to a spec level and everyone will be the same: False, again at this point batteries will make a huge difference. Good quality packs will be essential. In the end, a " Team Driver" will still have the advantage due to speed controller programming knowledge, access to unreleased technology and the ability to jump the regulator that restricts the amp flow. It is much easier to just tech a motor.

Brushless Performance: There will still be better motors than others due to manufacturing tolerances. Remember the price on a brushless motor when you have to replace it because it does not perform as claimed. Since there is no easy way to maintain and keep a brushless motor up to original spec (i.e. rebuild) it may be necessary to purchase new motors often at a very high price to keep up with your neighbor or racing rival.
Ernie?

This is all correct. Racing means you spend money. The bottom line. The only cheap class of racing I've seen in years is Slash...even then you can replace that cheap motor just about every run to gain an advantage.

Stock, or limited motor wind classes are the most expensive to run....period. EDIT That...WIN.
DerekB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:31 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net