R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-03-2004, 06:29 AM   #1
IH
Tech Adept

Default Schottky "rack"

The latest issue of the british "racer" magazine shows a picture of Neil Cragg´s car (can´t remeber exactly, but I think it was his one ).You can see that he installed, what looks like a "rack of schottkys(??)".

Does anyone what this is for?

Thanks!
IH
IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 07:28 AM   #2
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

This would help reduce any "noise" or anything could could cause interference. It also helps smooth out the ESC (assuming your ESC doesn't have reverse...you cannot run schotty diodes on an ESC with reverse).
I installed the Novak wiring harness on my LRP Q2. It is supposed to equal something like 50 schotty diodes. It is a great modification and would recommend it to anyone. Plus now I don't have to solder the diodes on my motors anymore.
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 07:33 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

where can i see some pics of this novak wiring harness
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 08:53 AM   #4
Tech Master

Here is a link with a picture.http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEWT5&P=7
Old 02-03-2004, 09:02 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by koabich
Here is a link with a picture.http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEWT5&P=7
that's pretty sweet, i'm using the new schotty module (the thing thats heat shrinked in the pic). but with that, my regular wiring, and a remote cap, my car looks like a wire monster
hyperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 02:02 PM   #6
Tech Master

If that looks like too much wiring, try this from Novak. It's supposed to be the same thing but instead or re-wiring your ESC with the harness, you can solder this directly to the ESC terminals or to the motor.
www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEWT6&P=7
Old 02-03-2004, 02:35 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Quote:
If that looks like too much wiring, try this from Novak. It's supposed to be the same thing but instead or re-wiring your ESC with the harness, you can solder this directly to the ESC terminals or to the motor.
www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEWT6&P=7
that's what i run currently, they just intergrated that with the other wiring to make the harness.
hyperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 02:39 PM   #8
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

I run the inline harness as well that I got from novak. It's on my GT7. The large one that you solder to your motor is a 25 amp version, more than 3 times the barrel type. I put that on my motor with a GM V8 that I use for my 1/12th scale car.

HTH

John
Old 02-03-2004, 07:51 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

one guy i race with is running basically a circuit board that is equivilent to 50 diodes. I also see a big black tube that the motor wires go through. I think it startss with a "f". What other types of diodes are out there for a novak esc(cyclone style). I don't like soldering on that stupid S diode.
pro3racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 12:45 AM   #10
Tech Master

Hey pro, That little tube thing is supposed to filter out noise to stop glitching. Im told its better to just twist your motor wires around each other a few times if you think there is a problem. The new style Novak diode is the best think right now on the market. Just like everything else Novak sells. I wish they were as good at updating thier website as they are with building electronics.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:48 AM   #11
Tech Initiate

To answer your question it is called a Ferrite core magnet and it is used to reduce radio interference.
micro speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 06:01 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Ferrite core nagnets.......wait a second, thats the magnets used in the motors.
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 09:25 AM   #13
Tech Apprentice

Default craggy my boy...

craggy's car was like that as it was an early gt7 and glitched like hell....the extra schottkie cured this...
damo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 07:51 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Quote:
... I installed the Novak wiring harness on my LRP Q2. It is supposed to equal something like 50 schotty diodes. It is a great modification and would recommend it to anyone. Plus now I don't have to solder the diodes on my motors anymore.
hi there is the novak harness safe for any esc? i have an LRP Q1 and i was wondering if i can install the harness there. did you notice any performance improvements? also, where did you solder the harness - did you splice the wires or directly on the solder posts? right now, im running one diode across the motor and its really a pain to be desoldering it everytime i change motors. thanks for any info
marvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 07:09 AM   #15
Tech Master

Hello,
I have been using the Novak harness on my LRP Q2 since the Q2 came out. I love and would not consider running any ESC without it! It is safe for any ESC as long as the ESC does not have reverse!
Joe