Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya tA and TB Cars

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Tamiya tA and TB Cars

I have narrowed down my choices between the TA05 version II and TB03. What are some opinions on both cars and what would be the first options needed to run competitively at the club level?
Old 09-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

ta05. the belt driven is more efficient, and is more of a racer compared to the tb.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:04 PM
Tech Rookie

what about hop ups?
Old 09-13-2009, 01:06 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Double D Donuts
ta05. the belt driven is more efficient, and is more of a racer compared to the tb.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:09 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 73 vette
I have narrowed down my choices between the TA05 version II and TB03. What are some opinions on both cars and what would be the first options needed to run competitively at the club level?
both cars will require universal sets and possibly a sway bar set (depending on how you set up your cars).

id also recommend the graphic reinforced rocker arms (cheaper)... or if u want full bling... the alum. rocker arms. i personally dont trust the plastic rocker arms.

the rest of the car is race worthy. if you are in a hotter climate, upgrade the suspension to the harder carbon reinforced pieces since the stock pieces are plastic.

good luck. there are threads for the TA05 Vers. II and TB-03.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:18 AM
Tech Regular

Belt drive cars are better at high speeds and do not have the torque steer issues that shaft drive cars have. Shaft drive cars had an advantage on low power motors (silver can)/vintage trans am where the responsiveness of the shaft drive is an advantage. Also, saft drive is easier to maintain/more reliable in dirty conditions(street).

These are extremely small issues and negligable in the hands of a good driver. Which do you prefer/trust?
Old 09-13-2009, 03:06 AM
tns
Tech Apprentice

I got myself a TB03 rather than a TA05 'cos of the common wisdom that shaft cars are more tolerant of dirty surfaces.

I have a friend whom I bash with at the local track- he ordered himself a TA05 v2. We're both running the same 9T bl motor. It'll be interesting times ahead once he fixes up his new car
Old 09-13-2009, 07:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 73 vette
Hi,

Both cars need the steering upgrade kits and decent servo savers. That would be my first upgrade on both cars. Then the axle upgrade, and spring set. After that I would suggest the TRF shocks, a hex head screw kit and some suspension blocks so you can fine tune the suspension.

I've built and drove both cars. They are both very competitive and are just as fast as any of the high ends cars out there. The only thing that may hurt these cars on a club level now is weight. A lot of places are going down to 1420g limit which takes a little work to get the car down that light running a big lipo. The TA05 would be easier to get to 1420g. But its not a issue with me so much on my TB03 as the car still beats really light cars no problem. I don't have torque steer issues with my TB03 running 17.5/13.5. If you want to run mod, TA05 would be a better choice for most, but in stock classes both cars work great. The driving characteristics of the drive trains are.....

TB03- faster accelleration, faster brake and throttle response, requires a smoother trigger pull when driving. Shaft drive is aggressive.

TA05- Smoother acceleration, brake and throttle can be applied hard and the car stays pretty settled, if you pull the throttle like a on and off switch the TA will be easier to drive. Belt drive is more forgiving to fast throttle inputs by the driver.

For top speed I see no difference. I haven't been lacking of top speed in my TB03 on the straight aways. My local track's straight away is almost 200ft long, and against 009's, photons, tc5, whatnot, its never a problem for me.

In the end you can't go wrong with either car. They are both Tamiya Have fun!